Are these headphones fake? Sony MDR-7506
Dec 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #61 of 84
I'm starting to think they're fake. Mainly because I have been comparing them to my set of $15 inear phones and while the mdr's do sound better, it's not by leaps and bounds. Only just slightly better. Either I'm grossly overestimating what those cans sound like, or I've got fakes. I dunno. Anyone with any input?

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #62 of 84
Look at the bag,  Is "Sony" in white or not?  That's the easy way to tell.  Also, look at the detents on the metal band where the cups are attached to the headband.

Even though you might not like how they sound, that doesn't mean they're fake. 
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as the sound quality, I don't like the 7506's in general.  Too bright, and not enough bass IMO.  Even though the V6 is made from the same parts, they are wired differently, and I much preferred those to the 7506's.  More bass and more balanced across the spectrum IMO.

Heck, I like my PX-100's more than I liked the 7506's.  And at a similar price, I'd take the SR80i or the MS1i over the Sonys.

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #66 of 84

Quote:
Quote:
Even though the V6 is made from the same parts, they are wired differently, and I much preferred those to the 7506's.  More bass and more balanced across the spectrum IMO.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

You're wrong:

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16967&postcount=43

Quote:
The driver units on the original 7506/V6 models were the same (maybe still are) BUT there is a production difference.  The 7506 is wired with seperate ground screen for each channel for true channel isolation - that is why they are labelled as "professional".
The V6 is wired with a common ground screen (commecial) that introduces slight cross talk (30dB down) through the return channel ground, creating an image signal in the opposite ear. That ironically may lead to a marginally less focused. warmer sound that may make this model represent the mix better in terms of the acoustic interaction of the stereo signal in the air emanting from a pair of near field monitors. In other words the non pro wiring in the V6 may just make them closer to a pair of near fields in the air.

I bought a 7506 and a V6 brand new each from authorized dealers, and I confirmed them to be legit based on all the info detailing differences between the fakes out there are real ones.  This is my listening comparison:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/509947/which-headphone-is-1-rung-above-the-mdr-7506-s/30#post_7039382

They are wired differently, and they do not sound the same because of that.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #67 of 84
So what I have is legit, eh? Interesting. I will say one thing though. I am now a firm believer of burn in. I read up on it here, and decided to give it a shot. I hooked my mdr's, and setup a long playlist of heavy bass songs with a random 5 minute silent break song. I did it early last night, slept, got up, went to work, ran some errands, etc etc. Just got home and remember I had them setup as such. Threw up one the songs I played a bunch the night before for comparison, and wow. Definite difference. It's like everything spaced out more, less 2dish. Bass is still tight, but stronger, the highs are still there to, but they don't rattle or grate your teeth now. The headphones became warmer, smoother, but still crisp. I dunno how else to explain it. It makes me looking forward to further burning/breaking/whatever. 

Absolutely amazed at the difference... just wow.

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #68 of 84
I agree.  I didn't used to believe in burn in either, but the Grado HF2 and the AKG K240S both improved for me after just 15-20 hrs of slightly louder than my normal listening of music playing. 

beerchug.gif

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #69 of 84
Well, I have to return the headphones no matter what, as the 1/8th jack was made wrong. It's lose in everything I put it in, which is annoying. Still playable, and nothing else wrong. But since I have to return them anyway. Are there any better sounding closed headphones in your opinion? My budget is about max $200. I like a bass, but not being drowned in it. This is for listening pleasure mostly. Any opinions would be appreciate

Dec 11, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #70 of 84
 You could try the V6's and save a bunch of money.  I like those a lot more than the 7506's.

Or, you could try the Beyer DT770's if they have to be closed.  I prefer the 880's, but the 770's are very nice sounding too.  Just don't get the Pro's.  Might be too much bass. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  A lot of people also like the Audio Technica M50's. 

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #71 of 84
Yeah, I hear a lot of people prefer the V6's. What are the differences to you? I'll take a look at the Beyer DT770. Thanks for help. I do appreciate it.

EDIT: Also, as a side note. I am open to semi-open phones too. All this boils down too is I don't want everyone else hearing what I'm listening to.

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #72 of 84

Quote:
Yeah, I hear a lot of people prefer the V6's. What are the differences to you? I'll take a look at the Beyer DT770. Thanks for help. I do appreciate it.

EDIT: Also, as a side note. I am open to semi-open phones too. All this boils down too is I don't want everyone else hearing what I'm listening to.

OK, I think the V6's have more bass than the 7506's, which surprised me in that I thought they'd be more alike in that regard, and the V6's have a softer treble presentation.  Hence, much more balanced IMO than the 7506.

I really like the DT800/250's.  Maybe check out Zombie_X's thread on the differences between them and the DT770's, and then between the different ohm models too.  I have never actually heard the DT770's, but just based on his description, sounds like a contender.

Dec 12, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #73 of 84
If the deal is too good to be true then you are getting what you paid for . I never buy headphones online from any mass sellers offshore, these scam artists sell alot of counterfit. I eliminate these clowns totally by buying off dealers where I can examine and listen to the headphones. And I can still get descent deals.

More people like me and the scam artists would be out of business and living under bridges(where they belong).

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #74 of 84
It was bought from USA. I won't buy things from china or offshore in general. I would love to have a store to compare and try different headphones, but as far as I know there are none near me. Does anyone know of places I could do this at? I tried a few instrument stores and they had nothing.

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #75 of 84
I just got a pair in the mail from amazon everything on the box looks legit but the sony logo on the carry bag isnt white. Also they dont seem to clamp very tight. Is it possible to get fakes from amazon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back