Are there any headphones that COMPLETELY block out noise even w/o music playing?
Dec 28, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #16 of 31
Cool, thanks for all the answers.

I didn't know about those Peltor earmuffs, they're available on Amazon and have good reviews. I thought my only option was just getting a regular pair of ear plugs honestly. I'll also pick up a pair of CX300 phones from Amazon too since ADD said they don't go very deep. I really tried to get used to IEMs and while they sound amazing I just couldn't adjust.
tongue.gif

ADD: yeah moving is definitely on the list. When I start working I'll look into a house and the noise will be the deciding factor. I'll also replace the windows/doors with some soundproof ones and modify the walls for better soundproofing. Absolutely nothing like a peaceful morning with no cars or trucks or lawnmower/leaf blower sucking the life out of everything.

Dec 28, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #17 of 31
The CX300 ought to be pretty easy to get used to. They were actually my first earphone since the 1980s! It took a few days to get used to them but I now also use them for sleeping, as I have tinnitus and gentle nature sounds mask it. So I'm not really even aware I am wearing them. But for me the big bonus is mega soundproofing capability with pro quality industrial ear muffs over the top of them
smily_headphones1.gif
I now know what it is like to be medically sverely hearing impaired, and it is not pretty
eek.gif

A 1time mentioned though, absolutely drowning out every single audible noise for extended periods is not a good thing (it is a good breeding ground for tinnitus to begin with) so having some very quiet music playing under some ear muffs is a good idea (and very soothing).

I'm trying to put some money aside as well for some better home soundproofing. I grew up in a double brick home and they insulate from sound amazingly well compared to brick veneer. It's a pity though that the world is seemingly full of anti-social people who think they can drown out the neighbourhood with their noise pollution. It's all too obvious to me, for instance, that no one else would like to listen to what I like to listen to, but some people think they are doing everyone a favour by blasting their preferred musical genre at 110 dB for the whole block to "enjoy". But I suppose every neighbourhood has it's own resident caveman, not to mention all the other sources of noise such as in your case.

Take heart though, things could be worse.

Dec 28, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your ears will get sweaty inside those ear muffs, but that will only dull the noise. You will get more relief from the noise by blocking some of the noise as ear muffs and closed headphones do AND by playing noise into your ear as headphones do. The HD280 is a good solution for you which will only cost you $65 from Amazon.com right now. There are better closed headphones for more money. Just ask if interested.

The HD280 doesn't really isolate that much and it leaves all the bass still there. When you're just getting a ride in the car and using the HD280 all the bass that isn't attenuated is really annoying. And don't even get me started on how bad they sound
tongue.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #19 of 31
I can vouch for earmuffs. I have a friend who is a drummer and has a couple of earmuffs (not the same as the ones ericj linked to, but similar) and I put them on when we jam, and they are almost TOO effective - I have trouble hearing guitar parts at times. So unless you are trying to block out a band performing in your bedroom, I think they will do the trick.

Be warned though - they are tight. However, if you are going for extreme isolation, don't expect to be extremely comfortable.

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #20 of 31
Hi. first time poster here.

I,m not sure if i,m in the right place,but here goes anyway.
I,m desperate,and looking for headphones that block out all noise completely.
I,ve been living with a low frequency sound or vibration for years in my apartment,and its literally driving me mad.
I have tried everything...earplugs..etc,and more.
Have spent hundreds,and nagged the building so much,they spent thousands on fixing the vent fans,on the roof,and stairwells(had to be fixed anyway).
I live on the top floor..14th

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #21 of 31
I have a Klipsch Mode 40 noise canceling headphones, even w/o enabling the noise cancellation circuit, it cuts out a lot of noise from the outside. But it does so with a pretty high clamping force on your ears. Now, whether the sound is good enough for discerning listeners is another matter, it has a definite bass bias...I use it for when I travel overseas.

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #23 of 31
  Hi. first time poster here.

I,m not sure if i,m in the right place,but here goes anyway.
I,m desperate,and looking for headphones that block out all noise completely.
I,ve been living with a low frequency sound or vibration for years in my apartment,and its literally driving me mad.
I have tried everything...earplugs..etc,and more.
Have spent hundreds,and nagged the building so much,they spent thousands on fixing the vent fans,on the roof,and stairwells(had to be fixed anyway).
I live on the top floor..14th

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

how about buying another penthouse :p
my fone number is..

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #24 of 31
  Hi.
Thanks for replying.
Is your avatar a pic of what it looks like?
Just curious.
Will these block out and low frequency vibrations or noise?

All I can say is, I was walking around in a crowded mall, put them on and the noise level dropped tremendously, though I must stress that some external noise do bleed in. With the noise cancellation enabled, it got pretty good, good enough to block out most external noise allowing me to listen to music at lower volume. Bose QC25 does the noise cancellation part even better from what I've heard. As to what the M40 looks like, below is a pic.....but I feel I need to stress that this isn't a neutral sounding can, not in the least bit, but does pop and rock well enough for me due to its nice, emphatic bass. 

Not exactly small, they're less elegant looking than the Bose models, I'd gotten it because the seller was letting it go for cheap (at least it was cheap in my neck of the woods). I would also advise you to try out this can personally to see if the clamping force bothers you, it does for most people. Again, it was cheap (~152USD), so I bought it.....certainly would NOT have gotten it at full retail price here.

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #25 of 31
This is an interesting question; subscribed.  Of note, I can speak about what I know: 

ATH-ANC7b provides moderate/bearable noise reduction

By far, the best performing earplugs I've found are these (even good to sleep with):
Hearos Xtreme Protection, 33NRR

Take the two together, you'd still likely not have 100% isolation.

I started to look up the aviation grade stuff (out of my price range), but the details give me a headache!  Here's more reading info:

http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/content/lightspeedaviation/CustomPages/ANR-201-The-Quest-for-MAXIMUM-quiet/Section-3-Acoustic-Design-Tradeoffs.htm

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #29 of 31
Any good IEMs with either foamies, bi-flanges, or tri-flanges for tips should work, and also, bi-flanges or tri-flanges can be DIYed from 3M PELTOR Sport Tri-flange earplugs or any other tri-flange earplugs, just poke a hole in the earplugs big enough for sound to go through them, and then slip them on any IEM that'll take them, I'm currently using bi-flange tips that were fabricated from the aformentioned earplugs on my Bass Freqs, and they imrpove isolation and comfort quite a bit over the stock single, I'm practically banging on my keyboard as I type this and I can't even hear myself type, and SQ is subjective and depends on the IEM in use, and foamies can be DIYed from any foam earplug.

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #30 of 31
I'm renting an apartment and god it's noisy, so noisy. I'll pay up to 600 dollars for something that can give me peace and quiet. Make that a thousand.

In-ear monitors aren't an option, they're too uncomfortable for me. This is something I'll be wearing every time I don't feel like listening to music or watching a movie while next door the malfunctioning air conditioner is practicing its battle cry.

What are my options, if there are any in the first place...?

bose QC 25

or

westone W40 or W60 - FWIW I hate in-ears, but westone really know what they doing, I can wear the Westone IEM for HOURS....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back