Are Refurbished Headphones a Good Idea?
Jun 12, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 12
I see nothing wrong with getting refurbished ones.  If you do have issues with them, you can always return them...hopefully?  What headphones are you looking for, by the way?  You may be able to get them cheaper here on the for sale part of the forum, used.

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 12
I know of no one that will sell refurbished headphones Head-fi can approve of. If you don't have much money to spend, we all don't, get any headphones from the Koss line and enjoy.

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
I know of no one that will sell refurbished headphones Head-fi can approve of. If you don't have much money to spend, we all don't, get any headphones from the Koss line and enjoy.

Dakmart is somewhat approved. I have no idea how they are lately though. Ecost sold cheap V900HD's. MobilePC sells cheap refurbished Beyers on eBay (DT770 Premiums for like $110, DT990's for $116, DT880's for $134) Beyerdynamic themselves occasionally puts scratch-and-dent/refurbished headphones on eBay. Sony occasionally sells cheap headphones in their outlet store, like $40 V6's, and there are others I can't think of.

As far as Senn, it depends on the store, but usually, there isn't much that can go gravely wrong with a headphone...as long as you can return them, you should be fine.

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 12
I highly recommend Dakmart as they are an excellent refurbished dealer. I bought few things from them and honestly couldn't tell whether they were brand new or not. They're authorized dealers and customer service has been great in my experience.

Bottom line, if you're sure that the seller is legit, you should always go for the refurbished because they're tremendous value for money.

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 12
The only reason I don't like buying refurbished, or used headphones is because I don't know how other people have treated them.  Have they experienced clipping by powering up an amp with the headphones still plugged in?  Have they been clipped because they've been overdriven?  I just can't see the point in avoiding saving up a little more cash just to buy the brand new thing from a licensed dealer.

Have I bought headphones used in the past?  Yes.  Have I had any major problems?  No, but you can never really know in the end.

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
I highly recommend Dakmart as they are an excellent refurbished dealer. I bought few things from them and honestly couldn't tell whether they were brand new or not. They're authorized dealers and customer service has been great in my experience.

Bottom line, if you're sure that the seller is legit, you should always go for the refurbished because they're tremendous value for money.

Unfortunately, the stories online of people being ripped off by DakMart FAR outnumber the successful transactions like yours. It's enough to put me right off of buying anything from them.

Jun 12, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Unfortunately, the stories online of people being ripped off by DakMart FAR outnumber the successful transactions like yours. It's enough to put me right off of buying anything from them.

I was always confused by that too. It seem like the Amazon seller (which I was referring to) differs from the main site because they have different products for sale. But yeah if you don't feel comfortable you should definitely avoid.

Jun 13, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #12 of 12

I was always confused by that too. It seem like the Amazon seller (which I was referring to) differs from the main site because they have different products for sale. But yeah if you don't feel comfortable you should definitely avoid.

just save up and buy the phones you want new! you don't have them now and I don't know about you supporting your favorite brands is something i like to do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back