Are open or closed cans best for a new parent?
Jan 1, 2011 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mmentzel

New Head-Fier
First-time poster.  

So I just completed the HT setup of my dreams....about 3 months ahead of our first baby arriving!  He's due in April.  There are plenty of open and closed ear cans that I would be happy with, but this being my first baby, I don't know which I should choose.  I'm envisioning myself using them to watch TV/movies while he is sleeping.  Open ears would enable me to hear him crying but would most likely disturb his sleep, since his room is a partitioned part of our living room (i.e. where the HT setup is).  Closed ears would not disturb, but if he wakes up crying, I am afraid that I would not hear him.  

I guess this is more of a parenting question than a headphone question.  Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 9
I listen to music with my Grados which are as open as headphones get...with a sleeping baby 15 feet away and never has it disturbed her.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 9
How about something with small drivers but still open? That way small drivers won't emit as much noise out and you can still hear the outside.

I'm thinking long the lines of Koss Portopros, those Audio Technica musician headphones (EP700), clip-ons, ear buds?

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for your replies.  Re: wind016, I have a pair of Shure E5C's but only use them when I fly, as I find them uncomfortable.  Smaller drivers notwithstanding, are the PortaPros and less isolating than open ear cans?  

Perhaps what I'm really asking is can I get away with Audio Technica AD700, or would I need to go with the A700 (backed counterpart) in order to watch an action movie with a sleeping infant nearby?  ArmAndHammar, it sounds like you are saying the former is a viable option, no?

Thanks!

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 9
I guess it depends on some factors....how far away will the baby be from you? How loud will you be listening to stuff? You said the LR was partitioned, so there is a wall of sorts between you and him? If so, that would also block much of the noise. I don't see the sound leaking from headphones being any more distracting to the baby as a normal TV would be. Like I said above...my Grados do not disturb my daughter in the least and she is 15-20 feet away. I am in the dining room and she is in the living room taking her naps. And the TV is generally on as well which is even closer to her than I am...still no issues. Babies...especially new ones, are pretty sound sleepers in my experience. I have two kids, one 4 years and the other 5 months. It usually isn't general noise like a TV or radio/music or people talking that wakes them....it's a sharp or sudden noise like dropping something on the hardwood floor, an explosion on TV, a loud horn blowing...stuff like that. of course, YMMV.

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 9
when babies sleep, they are completely knocked out....how else would you change a diaper in their sleep? :wink:  it's best, also, to not have total silence.  they will get used to sleeping with some rustling, otherwise it gets difficult when they get older.

i would get open, you'll be surprised how little noise their is, unless you are constantly rocking out.  in total silence, I am listening at about 50dB....as I am right now.

besides, you want to be able to hear things, so open.  save the closed for when they get older (3+ years old) and have siblings...you'll *really* need it then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back