Are my ears too small for customs?
Jul 11, 2012 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AyeCee

100+ Head-Fier
I've been doing a fair bit of research into customs lately, and have decided to save up for either the UM Merlin or WX audio i9 Pro. Only yesterday though I realised that my ears may be too small for customs :/

I'm quite a small person, (17yo, 5'5", 65kg if that is a guide) and I wonder if my ears would be too small for custom IEM's, specifically the ones with the dynamic drivers as mentioned above. Has anyone ever been turned down for customs for small ears, either the bowls or canals?

Any input would be greatly appreciated
-Adrian

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 10
Well if you think your ears are particularly small, they might be.  The customs with dynamic drivers or tons of BA drivers are huge and the manufacturers say that they won't fit in smaller ears.  You might be better off with a dual BA or something like that.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
I wonder if my ears would be too small for custom IEM's, specifically the ones with the dynamic drivers as mentioned above. 

If you go to an audiologist to get your impressions done they should be able to tell you. If you are really concerned you may have more luck with the merlins because the driver is smaller?

Edit. Also you are in Aus? You can just send your stuff to UM in Melbourne and they'll be able to tell you.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 10
It may be possible, but depending on how much you want them it may be worth a shot sending in some impressions and seeing what they have to say about it, when the time comes of course.

At 17, if you're not sure whether you're done growing or not it may be worth while to wait a few years so that you'll get the most out of your customs. your ears do change over time - some fast, some slow, but once they do past a certain point you won't be able to get a seal with your custom IEMs and they'll have to be refitted. I'm sure you've read this before, but i thought i'd point it out. I got my JH5s when i was around that age as well.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 10
Yes I am in Australia. I have not had impressions yet, but Ill be sure to ask the Audiologist what they think. I have already been in contact with UM. Ill post the email conversation, some of you may find what they have to say interesting. I for one find it promising 
biggrin.gif
!!
ME:
(basically what i said in this thread, didn't mention the WX though :D! although I would much rather the Merlin)

UM:
Hey there Adrian, 

Thanks for your email.  Great question you ask, and it is something we come across from time to time.  Generally the issue we have is with the small ear canals, rather than the bowl of the ear.  We've had some Merlin's made up to be pretty small and in our history in Australia we've only had one client which we were limited to our triple driver with.  It's likely we wouldn't have been able to make a Merlin for her.  Only happened once though.

All in all, we're pretty confident we'll be able to fit you, but if we can your ear impressions and it doesn't look like it's going to happen, we'll be sure to let you know!

If you are ready to rock and roll with an order, just let us know, and if you have any further questions, just shout out.

Chat soon!

UMAus

ME:
Thank you for the reply,  
So based on my size guide, you are pretty confident you'll be able to fit Merlins? I really hope so, They are really suited to my sound signature, and it would be such a shame if I could not get them...

Thanks again for your assistance :)
-Adrian

UM:
Hi Adrian, 

Yep, based on your size, it's still hard to tell because everyones ears are different.

Our best bet is to get your ear impression and have a look, then we can tell you for sure!

Our demo units are very small so it shouldn't be a problem.  Worst case scenario is that we have to built them a little less flush than standard in order to fit everything in there.

Thanks!

So from what they have to say, I may be able to get some Merlins! Luckily I do have larger than average ears for my build, not abnormally large, but a bit larger.   What do you guys have to make of this?

It may be possible, but depending on how much you want them it may be worth a shot sending in some impressions and seeing what they have to say about it, when the time comes of course.

At 17, if you're not sure whether you're done growing or not it may be worth while to wait a few years so that you'll get the most out of your customs. your ears do change over time - some fast, some slow, but once they do past a certain point you won't be able to get a seal with your custom IEMs and they'll have to be refitted. I'm sure you've read this before, but i thought i'd point it out. I got my JH5s when i was around that age as well.

And yes, I am aware that being a younger person, I will most likely have to get refits more often, but I am happy to have them refit every 1-2 years. Luckily they are in AUS, I will be able to save a little on shipping that way haha. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks all for the help, I want a pair or Merlin's more than anything at the moment, I'll be getting them as soon as I can afford them. It's kinda stupid how they are more expensive in Australia, but then again everything is...

From what I have researched I looks like it can be done. UM said that it should be able to be done, and as they mentioned, their demo models have to be made to be very small. With regards to impressions, I am sure it will be an open mouth imprestiin, but I'll get UM to send off instructions to the audiologist that way they do it the way UM needs it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back