are most headamps overpriced CMoy's?
Feb 14, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #61 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having just severed a relationship with a gal who, in my estimation, accounted for about 20k of my spending over the last 2 years, I can assure you that gear is a much better investment. Buy it *all*.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be your new gal
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was feeling you were a guy
popcorn.gif

For 20k s/he will be whatever you want him/her to be
k701smile.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #62 of 111
This is why I pretty much only buy vintage so I don't have to worry about these things. Markup wasn't as high before, used prices are a fraction of what these already better "new" prices were, and there is always the possibility of finding a really good deal even compared to the normal used market price. I have a headphone amplifier that was probably 2-3k new in its day that I got for under 1k. IMO it beats a current amp that goes for over 6k. I have a 50+ year old set of speakers that I got for 1k that beat anything I've yet heard easily (and I've heard some systems that cost over $100,000). Your money goes much further buying vintage, and the market weeds out the garbage for you.

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #63 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, especially most "new" portable amps.

I agree!

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #64 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is why I pretty much only buy vintage so I don't have to worry about these things. Markup wasn't as high before, used prices are a fraction of what these already better "new" prices were, and there is always the possibility of finding a really good deal even compared to the normal used market price. I have a headphone amplifier that was probably 2-3k new in its day that I got for under 1k. IMO it beats a current amp that goes for over 6k. I have a 50+ year old set of speakers that I got for 1k that beat anything I've yet heard easily (and I've heard some systems that cost over $100,000). Your money goes much further buying vintage, and the market weeds out the garbage for you.

Vintage and used........ So many great sounding speakers, headphones, amps, dacs, from the 50's to the 90's.. Just bargains to be had. When I knew nothing, I though new had to be better.. Headphone, dac, amp technology, but as I started to hear older gear, it wasn't matching up. Why do most vintage AKG headphones sound better then their latested headphones and 'better' technology? The 701/702, as much as I like them can't touch the 340/K1000 mids.. The 340's are how old? And can be argued they are 2nd behind the K1000 in terms of best sounding AKG headphones.

Seriously, Is Avatar on the same level as Citizen Caine or Ben Hurr? I am getting less and less excited about new technology that is geared more towards removing money from my wallet. then making better sq.

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #65 of 111
=<
As a k70x lover.. I seriously got to try the k1000 !!!

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #66 of 111
The G93 headphone amplifier is cheaper than I thought, although more than 200 euros.

Sometimes I wish I was loaded with money.

Junliang, I once found an old Pioneer Monitor 10 and I seriously want to test the new Monitor 10r. Funny isn't it?

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #67 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Junliang, I once found an old Pioneer Monitor 10 and I seriously want to test the new Monitor 10r. Funny isn't it?

Nah, its normal.
Its the rest that isn't. haha.
people go from turntable to mp3,
we audiophiles go from mp3 to turntable/cdp
other brands usually newest better, some are oldest better(e.g akg) though i have not tried it xD

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #69 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the biggest lies in audio!

To each his own =/

Feb 15, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #72 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and how good's your AudioTrak imAmp Junliang?

At SGD$170, less than $85 USD, its a very good versatile head amp
biggrin.gif

It powers the k701 very well imo

Feb 15, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #73 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At SGD$170, less than $85 USD, its a very good versatile head amp
biggrin.gif

It powers the k701 very well imo

How well does it compare to the other head amps you've tried for the k701?

Feb 15, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #74 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How well does it compare to the other head amps you've tried for the k701?

You know what ?
Idk why, but I get very lazy to do such comparison =(
Maybe I reached that point already =/

Heres more info for imAmp: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6346222-post12.html
Heard the k701 w canamp, though the pairing is good, and it sounded great, I am still a practical guy, and the imAmp suited my needs and the price is very very good.
So yeah, any upgrade would be when I go balanced with tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back