are most head-fiers...
Sep 4, 2008 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

starscream

100+ Head-Fier
...music lovers or just addicts who get caught up in the hobby and lose sight of the initial goal to enjoy the music.

I just think it's weird that some people can spend so much time concentrating on the equipment as opposed to the music. Surely when you find a set up you really enjoy, that should be the end of it?

I spend more time reading/listening about trying to find new/old music than I do on here trying to make the cymbal sound microscopically sweeter, or trying to get even deeper, more impactful bass notes than my D5000 already gives me. It's almost as if the bits of music that members own is just there to gauge their new toy, rather than the equipment enhancing a joy of music. If you are sat in a chair simply analyzing the mids/highs/lows of every track...you are not appreciating the music. I think a lot of people on this forum are under a misconception in this respect.

I am not having a go at people, I am trying to understand people. (I am not totally exclude myself from this affliction either)

What do the rest of you think?

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 61
Music? I just like how my gear looks. I've also found that Mr Sheen is better than Pledge for keeping it all shiny.

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 61
I, for one, once I get a decent headphones (soon), am not going to analyze the sound quality down to the most minuscule thing, but am going to take pleasure in the music for what it is. Even with my cheap Sony's, I really love just sitting in my chair, closing my eyes, and enjoying the music I'm hearing, no matter how it sounds. Of course I'm looking forward to the better sound quality, but I'm not going to whine just because the bass is a tiny bit muddy or something like that.

I'm a learning pianist, by the way.

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 61
Love to listen to music (and do for many hours every day - at work, at home, at my favorite Hookah bar, when I work out).

Equipment is a hobby - I like building amps, DACs, cables, recabling headphones, all that stuff. Of course, it's even more rewarding to build something and enjoy listening to it later.
smily_headphones1.gif
That part is pure hobby, something to do and enjoy doing.

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 61
Bought my first Koss headphones in 1970... and have been chasing sounds ever since (guitars, amps, sound reproduction of all types), but never forget to pick up a few CDs every month, so, no it isn't the equiptment, but the end result.

Always substance over form.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 61
I spend way more money on music than gear, even with all the headphones I own. I hit the mother load at local thrift stores a few times in the last couple of months. I've bought at least 120 CDs in the last 2 months. Only 2 have been unrippable and less than 10 are totally unlistenable (not my taste in music). A couple of people must have dumped large CD collections this summer in my area.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 61
Bit of both for me, really... I love my music, but I love my toys at the same time!

My fascination with headphones is finding stuff in the music that I previously hadn't heard - whether that is rich and amazing tone, subtle details, pieces of soundstage and immersion, or something else. That's why I keep buying headphones and keep wanting more at the same time!
smily_headphones1.gif

...that and I have this weird fetish for simply knowing the differences in sound between headphones. Not sure what that's all about eh...
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 61
I am a firm believer in music first. I spend a lot more time listening to and finding new music than i do listening to the quality and researching equipment. And of course, while I do research new equipment, I am listening to music. I will that the worst sound over no sound any day of the week, as I think most people here will.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 61
Music first, gear later. I am looking for the gear that will be the most transparent, just leaving me with sweet music. I am always looking for gear, but when it comes down to it, it's all about sitting down in a comfy chair and listening to "your accomplishments".

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 61
For me, headphones are just another way to accessorize. I can wear headphones all day at work, so i have to have a lot of variety so that i can signal my mood to my coworkers by my choice of headphones.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 61
I've been interested in audio gear since 1959. I built my first amp, a knight Kit 10w/channel $39.00. Used it with a Stromberg-Carlson TT and Lafyette 10" speaker in enclousers I build myself. Big money for me then. I was delivering new papers and cutting lawns. I've been in-and-out of the hobby over the years. I'm back. My first headphones were Panosonic, I don't remember when I bought them but I think it was in the late 60's. In 1982 I purchased a pair of Senna HD420'sand in the early 90's Sony MDR-V6's, I still have them. Over the years I've spent thousands of dollars on speakers, JBL, Polk, Snell, Bose...etc. Amps, turntables, tape decks, CD changers are another list I don't want to think about.

Headphones are a reasonably inexpensive way (>$2000) to enjoy great fidelity without disturbing people around you and keeping expenses within reason. Gear is important but the music reins, my collection is now around 900 cd's. At I write this I'm listening to Alison Krauss & Union Station live, This is great music. I couldn't play this as loud as I am through speakers. OK, that's more than I though I was going to write.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 61
I am a musician/composer/music-lover. Music is my life, and my living.
Obviously I need to have the best tools I can for listening to music - whether that be on stage (IEM), in the studio (closed circum-aural), on my way between the two (IEM or noise-cancelling) or at home for pleasure (this is where my answer really starts!).

I think one reason that people get into the gear, apart from the community they soon find themselves in whilst looking for advice
wink.gif
, is that listening is something you can get better at.
To qualify that, my parents have always had rubbish hi-fi gear, and as a result their ears haven't developed much - they can't tell (or don't care about) the difference between good and bad sound, they hear 'through it' somehow to the content of the music. That still baffles me to this day, but it doesn't stifle their enjoyment of music in the least. I guess it's the same as anything - if you're used to UHT milk, you don't yearn for fresh milk... or something.

Anyway, your first set of better-than-rubbish cans are a revelation! Wow, these sound amazing!! You can hear things in the mix you never knew were there!
After a while the novelty wears off and you start to hear their flaws, or things you don't like about them. You start to wonder what the next step is - shall I buy an amp, or more expensive cans? Are the cables ok? Maybe it's my old Matsui CD player that's the problem!! (duh)
Each time you upgrade your ears become more attuned - you notice how the treble is slightly sibilant, how unfocused the bass is, or how you wish the sound-stage was wider. So you continue to upgrade and your hearing continues to get more refined, bla bla bla...

BUT

The thing for most of us is that we have to do all this within a budget - and that's KEY.
If we were rich, most of us would just buy the best money can buy (I know that's subjective but roll with it!) and be done with it.

Upgrading within a budget is where it becomes tricky, and fun, and thus a hobby is born. And look, you made a bunch of friends at Head-Fi into the bargain.

Awww, I think I'm gonna cry
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 61
as I am in the process of building a better system, I am also in the process of tagging and organizing my huge collection of music and rating every song, eventually doing full reviews of every cd I have. I do this even of my portable rig which has the ability to rate, thank goodness.

However even that is too much sometimes and I just like to sit and listen without even thinking about how it makes me feel, which I like to do the most on my home rig.

Sep 4, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #14 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a musician/composer/music-lover. Music is my life, and my living.
Obviously I need to have the best tools I can for listening to music - whether that be on stage (IEM), in the studio (closed circum-aural), on my way between the two (IEM or noise-cancelling) or at home for pleasure (this is where my answer really starts!).

I think one reason that people get into the gear, apart from the community they soon find themselves in whilst looking for advice
wink.gif
, is that listening is something you can get better at.
To qualify that, my parents have always had rubbish hi-fi gear, and as a result their ears haven't developed much - they can't tell (or don't care about) the difference between good and bad sound, they hear 'through it' somehow to the content of the music. That still baffles me to this day, but it doesn't stifle their enjoyment of music in the least. I guess it's the same as anything - if you're used to UHT milk, you don't yearn for fresh milk... or something.

Anyway, your first set of better-than-rubbish cans are a revelation! Wow, these sound amazing!! You can hear things in the mix you never knew were there!
After a while the novelty wears off and you start to hear their flaws, or things you don't like about them. You start to wonder what the next step is - shall I buy an amp, or more expensive cans? Are the cables ok? Maybe it's my old Matsui CD player that's the problem!! (duh)
Each time you upgrade your ears become more attuned - you notice how the treble is slightly sibilant, how unfocused the bass is, or how you wish the sound-stage was wider. So you continue to upgrade and your hearing continues to get more refined, bla bla bla...

BUT

The thing for most of us is that we have to do all this within a budget - and that's KEY.
If we were rich, most of us would just buy the best money can buy (I know that's subjective but roll with it!) and be done with it.

Upgrading within a budget is where it becomes tricky, and fun, and thus a hobby is born. And look, you made a bunch of friends at Head-Fi into the bargain.

Awww, I think I'm gonna cry
smily_headphones1.gif

Very well explained. I was fortunate to have my Dad, many years ago, listen to my system , circa 1970, by todays standards not great but back then, to him, a revelation. He actually started to buy albums ( vinyl) agian. I have a few of his LP's & a few Glenn Miller on the Blue Bird lable ,78's of course. I remember Dad sitting in my room listening to my JBL 101's, sansui 2000 amp and Garade TT. Best sound he'd ever heard. We connected over music.

Sep 4, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #15 of 61
Can't speak for "most Head-Fiers", but I started off just dissatisfied with stock buds and lower-end headphones, but ended up really enjoying discussing sound equipment and trying different things out. For me, buying and trying out equipment is enjoyable in and of itself. However - and this is important - a significant by-product of the hobby is that my new equipment allows me to enjoy music much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back