are most head-fiers...
Sep 6, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #46 of 61
A bit of both, I fear. Resolving that tension, i.e. between the purely musical and purely technical, is what keeps this hobby thriving--at least for me. And I do freely admit to excessive-compulsive tendencies, which this hobby probably helps sublimate. : )

Sep 6, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #47 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats an interesting point.

I personally have always felt that there are two types of hifi in this world. I've seen them referred to in England as "round earth" and "flat earth" hifi. God only knows where they got these descriptions from, but i digress
biggrin.gif

So called "Round Earth" hifi tends to major in things like detail, soundstage and that sort of thing and is often said to be to the detriment of the music itself. I know what they mean, I've often heard hifi that sounds ultra detailed and superficially impressive, but often just winds up sounding like a collection of sounds rather than a cohesive tune. They often lose the "groove" in the process. Then we get the "Flat earth" hifi which tends to major on the actual musical message, this stuff is often said to be toe tapping. In comparison to flat earth, the soundstage and detail levels sometimes (but not always) is not quite up there with the best, but you tend to forget that because its just so damn enjoyable.

I find its actually a very difficult thing for a system to get right. I've spent years and hundreds of pounds trying to assemble a system that does the important hifi stuff but also retains the "groove". I think I've got there now. Its not even about price, more about smart choices and assembling a system that is greater than the some of its parts.

I dare say there might be some here who are wondering What I am going on about, because on the face of it, hifi is designed to play music, but you either get it or you dont.

Bizarrely, I often find that cheap components often get the basic "groove" right more often than some of the more expensive gear which is quite often why many are perfectly content without the higher end stuff. Witness for example, the love of classic grooving headphones such as the Koss KSC-35/75/Porta-Pro, low end Grados, Beyers DT531. These headphones all manage to deliver surprising bang for your buck but important deliver the musical message clearly.

I just feel sometimes that the music itself can be lost in the quest for "soundstages" and "detail".

I understand what you are saying and I quite relate to it actually. I love having this new hobby and learning all about the different aspects of the sound and the technology but sometimes I do feel as if something is missing.

Sep 6, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #48 of 61
My personal quest for better sound is like choosing a "window" to the music. The less distortion, coloration, and smudges, the higher the impact of said music. Awareness of gear limitations can frustrate picky ears, but my tolerance/threshold for "imperfect" reproduction raises in relation to how much I like the music I'm hearing. Yes I'm drunk.

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #49 of 61
Quote:

Bizarrely, I often find that cheap components often get the basic "groove" right more often than some of the more expensive gear which is quite often why many are perfectly content without the higher end stuff. Witness for example, the love of classic grooving headphones such as the Koss KSC-35/75/Porta-Pro, low end Grados, Beyers DT531. These headphones all manage to deliver surprising bang for your buck but important deliver the musical message clearly.

X2, here. The SR60/E-MU 0404 combo is sweet-sounding, not hideously expensive, and (important for me, as I'm in the midst of digitizing my vinyl) has recording capability. 24/96 FLACs are incredible when played through this setup, whether they're live recordings or vinyl rips.

I can't imagine spending many thousands of dollars on audio; the value proposition isn't there for me, unless I were buying professional gear to build and run a recording studio for profit.

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #50 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2, here. The SR60/E-MU 0404 combo is sweet-sounding, not hideously expensive, and (important for me, as I'm in the midst of digitizing my vinyl) has recording capability. 24/96 FLACs are incredible when played through this setup, whether they're live recordings or vinyl rips.

I can't imagine spending many thousands of dollars on audio; the value proposition isn't there for me, unless I were buying professional gear to build and run a recording studio for profit.

IMHO technology has changed the performace/price curve dramatically. You don't need to spend a lot to get great performance, and we have some of the early tech-minded enthusiasts to thank for that.

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #51 of 61
For me the music comes before anything else.

I actually started getting into higher end headphones to SAVE money, I know it sounds pretty ironic here but it worked. I used to just buy the cheapo $10-$15 Sony headphones. I didn't really think there were other options and I didn't think there would be that big of a difference with better equipment. The problem was that I was a pretty heavy listener and these headphones were dying on me every 3-4 months.

So I was spending up to $50 a year on headphones anyway so why not invest in some sturdier phones? I impulsively bought some Sennheiser HD202s online for about $25 and they lasted for 2 years before the cable started shorting out. The noticeable increase in sound quality was just icing on the cake.

I jumped on a pair of HD212pros after the HD202s went in the trash. Since they have a replaceable cable I might not have to buy a new set for quite a while, so far I've had them for about a year. I did my research this time and they got pretty good reviews in general even though they have a pretty bad rep here, which is understandable. The bass is pretty fatiguing after an hour or two so I have been eyeing the HD555s.

Unfortunately my wallet is already hurting as it is so that won't happen anytime soon.

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #52 of 61
Quote:

So called "Round Earth" hifi tends to major in things like detail, soundstage and that sort of thing and is often said to be to the detriment of the music itself. I know what they mean, I've often heard hifi that sounds ultra detailed and superficially impressive, but often just winds up sounding like a collection of sounds rather than a cohesive tune. They often lose the "groove" in the process. Then we get the "Flat earth" hifi which tends to major on the actual musical message, this stuff is often said to be toe tapping. In comparison to flat earth, the soundstage and detail levels sometimes (but not always) is not quite up there with the best, but you tend to forget that because its just so damn enjoyable.

I own two headphones, the K701 and the HD650, and

I'd say K701 = 'Round Earth'
and HD650 = 'Flat Earth'

according to those classifications.

the warm, organic sound of the HD650 makes them get 'in the groove' of the music (even if it is not masterfully recorded) so well you're left only with the music (and not the equipment) faster than with the K701 even though many say that the Sennheisers are more 'colored'

Sep 8, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #53 of 61
I reckon I inherited some audio-genes from my late father. The man had a set-up with brands such as Mark Levinson, Sugden, Linn Sondek, Dynaudio. It was worth around the 100k, together that is.
The Head-Fi bug infected me as well with the oh so pleasant virus, looking for a RS 2 now.
What I want with all this? Achieve a great sound and splendid synergy between my gear. Not sure if it's a hobby, it's more like an obsession gotten out of hand.

I just can't wait to listen to some tunes from Katie Melua's Call off the Search with the RS 2, soothing voice *drool*.

Haha, I just love to be among you, fellow Head-Fiers and share whatever needs to be shared. Cheers to you all!

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #54 of 61
The music is the passion, and the gear is the hobby.

How wonderful that my passion and my hobby work so well together.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #55 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The music is the passion, and the gear is the hobby.

How wonderful that my passion and my hobby work so well together.

Well put
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #56 of 61
I think that good music is what makes me really want to get new stuff for my audio rig.

When I go to real orchestral performances, come home and play a CD I am smacked into reality and want to cry.. So the pursuit of getting to that level is always the goal, but it will never happen in my opinion. If you are a music fanatic then live is where its really at.

But, for those days when you can't go to the opera or its summer a pair of headphones and a CD will have to do.

I think most people take their music very seriously on here, I spend at least 10hrs a week or more exclusively listening to new things i've purchased.

The best thing about owning new stuff is the re-experiencing of old stuff you know really well. People often discover the unveiling as a gorgeous experience and if enough people weren't getting that this industry wouldn't exist.

I am relatively new to the scene and already I am being wowed by major changes in pieces of music I thought I knew very well.

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #57 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by OG10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are a music fanatic then live is where its really at.

Yeah, though this makes me believe that ultimately, good speakers in an
acoustically revamped room get you closer to live than headphones.

Say, DIY Orions driven by a good tube-amp from a vinyl source in a listening
room that you've built just for private audio. If I ever get the chance to have a
grand setup like that, I'm willing to bet I won't need headphones at home
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #58 of 61
It's both music and equipments for me, they are equally important. I just bought two new cds and so I value my equipments even more now, otherwise they simply collect dust.

There is an interconnectedness.
o2smile.gif

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #59 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by OG10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are a music fanatic then live is where its really at.

Not always. I agree with you on orchestral music, but I left a concert last month half way though because it was too loud, even with ear plugs. I didn't have a meter, but my bet was that is was around 120dB. Over amplified concerts are a waste of time for me. It's much more enjoyable to listen at home.

Acoustic music and properly amplified concerts are another story. I went to a bluegrass concert last week end. The instruments were miked, but even though I was next to the speakers, the SPL was only about 100dB. I had a great time and enjoyed it better than listening at home.

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #60 of 61
Headphones are the cheapest way to enjoy achieve it....ya , u know what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back