are most head-fiers...
Sep 4, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #16 of 61
Interesting that we can justify spending cash on gear because we spend cash on music!
But I would rather buy a CD than another tripple skinny latte.
I have a simple rule of thumb - the cost of the gear should never outweigh the cost of the music - so I'm well within my own buget limits :)
Of course, I don't own a car, so I have to spend my money somehow (and at the current rate 3 gallons of gas = 1 SACD).

BT

Sep 4, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #17 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very well explained. I was fortunate to have my Dad, many years ago, listen to my system , circa 1970, by todays standards not great but back then, to him, a revelation. He actually started to buy albums ( vinyl) agian. I have a few of his LP's & a few Glenn Miller on the Blue Bird lable ,78's of course. I remember Dad sitting in my room listening to my JBL 101's, sansui 2000 amp and Garade TT. Best sound he'd ever heard. We connected over music.

That's a lovely story fatcat, really. It's amazing the power of music and what it can do
happy_face1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't own a car, so I have to spend my money somehow (and at the current rate 3 gallons of gas = 1 SACD).

BT

So if the price of fuel keeps rising, all we'd need is a car that runs on SACD's!
wink.gif

Who's SACD would you rather burn than listen to???
For me it would be the Lighthouse Family, and most Morrissey / The Smiths...

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #18 of 61
I dont enjoy the music as much as the headphones generating sound.
biggrin.gif

Music is just an excuse to keep my headphones workin'

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #19 of 61
I wish I could enjoy music more. I have three headphones, and too many times I switch headphones in the middle of a CD, wondering how the other cans will sound with that music. That's not a good thing. Sometimes I wish I had one great all-arounder.

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #20 of 61
Sometimes I have the suspicion that music played a greater role when I was a youngster with really bad gear. Back then, my friends said that I was listening to music like others were reading poems.

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #21 of 61
Gear first music later. I like music but nothing beats a good pair of cans with great sound.

So if I had too choose one great can and only could listen to 20-30 songs I'd take it over a bad can with 5000 songs

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #22 of 61
You dont buy watches just to keep time.

You dont buy Pens just to write.

Are u getting my point?

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #23 of 61
Music for me as my 600 discs prove.
popcorn.gif

Being stuck at the bottom of the heap with two Sony Megachangers I always thought I was doomed and aside from some HD 600's I never bothered until I came here. Finding out I can add an outboard DAC, get a headphone amp and have some really decent quality audio has been great fun.

Just as soon as I can save up the cash.

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #24 of 61
Hard to speak for "most Head-Fi'ers".
But I think there we have members on both sides, and lots who are part of both sides.

I am part of the last group. Those who care about both the music and the equipment. Without both of them its hard to enjoy it all.

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #25 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by user123456 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if I had too choose one great can and only could listen to 20-30 songs I'd take it over a bad can with 5000 songs

This is an interesting way of putting it, actually. So: "Good cans and few songs" or "Bad cans and many songs." I'll go for the latter, I think.

Similarly: "Good cans and bad music" or "Bad cans and good music" I'd still go for the latter.

That said, I still think that my enjoyment of headphones is both an end in itself and a means to increasing my enjoyment of music. But if we had to choose between headphones and music, the music would take priority. There's a sense in which headphones are subservient to music... Am I muddled and muddling?

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #26 of 61
I can can just compare it to the Road / Car - Motorcycle experience. Yes the nice country, twisting , bucolic road experience is nice to bask in . However that road experience is so much nicer in a Ferrari or on a Ducati..................
beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #27 of 61
People do get consumed in the fits of gear-upgrade-rage, some get really
worked up by complaining about gear, contesting gear and generally being
disappointed with gear or other people's opinions about gear. This is what
brings up the thought of people focusing too much on audio gear instead of
the audio itself.

However, it is all in the name of music. People love their music, and they will
go to the ends of the Earth to improve their listening experience, if they
want to and are willing to put money into it.

So we get into a middle-ground, people like their gear and they like to
improve their music listening experiences. If they really loved only the music,
they wouldn't buy high-end gear, if they really loved only the gear, they
would listen only to pink-noise and sine-waves...
smily_headphones1.gif

...it's all about the golden middle road, some go a few steps in different
directions, but everybody stays pretty much on the road, here at Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #28 of 61
Sometimes I worry. And then a piece of music I'm listening to just catches me, grabs me by the chin and pulls me to face it, to fall into it. It's like worrying that maybe you like your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife/whatever for the wrong reasons, like their looks. Then they do something that amazes you and reminds you exactly of why you love them, not just like to look at them.

Err, hope that made some sense. I am wayyy sleepy.

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #29 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderwall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I worry. And then a piece of music I'm listening to just catches me, grabs me by the chin and pulls me to face it, to fall into it. It's like worrying that maybe you like your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife/whatever for the wrong reasons, like their looks. Then they do something that amazes you and reminds you exactly of why you love them, not just like to look at them.

Err, hope that made some sense. I am wayyy sleepy.

Perfectly my friend. Very profound
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #30 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an interesting way of putting it, actually. So: "Good cans and few songs" or "Bad cans and many songs." I'll go for the latter, I think.

Similarly: "Good cans and bad music" or "Bad cans and good music" I'd still go for the latter.

That said, I still think that my enjoyment of headphones is both an end in itself and a means to increasing my enjoyment of music. But if we had to choose between headphones and music, the music would take priority. There's a sense in which headphones are subservient to music... Am I muddled and muddling?

x2. In fact that's exactly what I did for 20 plus years. It wasn't until I started getting into digital music that I've had any equipment that wasn't mid-fi at best, although some people here might still consider my equipment mid-fi.
jecklinsmile.gif
I'm just short of 2200 albums in iTunes. I think I can safely say I've spent much more money on music than gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back