are iem tips universal?
Sep 10, 2010 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

beck13

Head-Fier
hi, i was wondering if all/most IEM tips are universal, those silicon flanged types.

so if i have a head-direct iem and i bought a different brand model with similar types of tip can i swap over the tips?

cheers

beck

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 15
It depends on the nozzle size of the iem. The dual flange tips from the RE-0 that I had can fit UE, Sennheiser, and Monster iems (among others). They won't work on Shure, Westone, and Earsonic iems because they are too big. 

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 15
ohh i see

what about this one? >> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vsonic-Shure-UE-Sennheiser-triple-flange-tipsX3-Black-/170466805196?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item27b09d05cc
i found that on ebay and i was wondering if it'll fit my RE2

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 15
I think there are a couple of very loose standards manufacturers use, you just need to check beforehand. by pure chance all 4 of my iems share the same nozzle size.

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
hi, i was wondering if all/most IEM tips are universal, those silicon flanged types.

so if i have a head-direct iem and i bought a different brand model with similar types of tip can i swap over the tips?

cheers

beck

Which Head-direct IEM?  RE0 or RE2? The tips pictured in that ad will fit most of the "normal" sized IEM nozzles, so they should fit yours.

Etymotic also have very small nozzles that these tips would not fit on -- well, be too big for, actually.

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
Which Head-direct IEM?  RE0 or RE2?

mine are RE2, id also like to buy the RE0 or ZERO down the line but for now i only have the RE2, are the tip size different between those two? (re2 and re0)

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 15
awesome, thanks for the help guys!! ^ ^ i just purchased those tips~~ i just wanted to see how a triple flange feel/sound

the RE2 came we few different tips and the single flange just never sounded right for me and the double flange sounded better and fit better also, so i wanted to see if triple flange tips are EVEN better lol

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 15
ClieOS did a great thread a while back about tips.

Joker includes the nozzle diameter in his reviews which is a great help in determining what will fit what when combined with ClieOS' article.

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #11 of 15
cool, thanks for that, i've just bookmarked that page ^ ^

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #12 of 15
next i'll be in search for a foam tip that would fit the RE2...
etysmile.gif

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
next i'll be in search for a foam tip that would fit the RE2...
etysmile.gif

Have you looked at the Comply website? It has a tool that shows what size fits what IEM. You can use that to cross reference with Joker's nozzle size, if the model IEM you're considering isn't in their tool. For instance: T-400 size fits NuForce NE-7M so  5.5mm nozzles, T-100 fits Q-Jays so 3mm nozzles, etc. Note that some sizes fit a range of nozzle diameters.

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #14 of 15
sweet just got some comply t400 tips!!! i hope these are comfy

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 15
Comply tips are certainly comfy and isolate well. My complaints with them have been: two-handed insertion, reduced treble, they get dirty and have a limited life. Cleaning them with hydrogen peroxide extends their life by a few weeks. I actually like the SQ better when I put them on backwards, and others have suggested trimming the foam past the tube to get the same result.

PM me if you'd like a few more T-400's at a reduced price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back