Are High-End Headphones Addictive?
May 5, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #46 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spoken like someone who hasn't seen what happens when a Head-Fier falls on hard times. Not a pretty sight, let me tell you that. The things they'll do to get their fix... absolutely degrading.

"Will wet clean LPs for R10 listening time."

May 5, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #49 of 65
Is 7-Up?

bob_saget.jpg

Headphones aren't a drug. Have you ever etc...

May 5, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #50 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it depends.

Some people seem like headphone collectors, not that there is anyting wrong with that, but thats what i don't want to become.

I think I have become a headphone collector.
frown.gif
I only have about 10 or so pairs of headphones, but none of them are burnt in....and I keep researching and finding something else I want to try, but, being a Capricorn, what is mine is mine, what I touch is mine, if I see it is mine
wink.gif
so I can't sell any of the phones I have, just have to get more. Sigh....

Yes, music is addicting, necessary, the sweet nectar of life, and good equipment just makes it better.

Holly

May 5, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #51 of 65
freud.jpg
Siggy Says: Sometimes a headphone is just a headphone! But cable-envy should be avoided.
  • Is your career suffering?
  • Are your relationships suffering?
  • Are you over- or under-eating?
  • While asleep, do you cradle your cans?
Well?
cool.gif

May 5, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #52 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Will do anything just to see an Orpheus..."

I wouldnt. Although 3 hours with the SR-Omega or the TakeT H1 might be another matter.

May 5, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #53 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldnt. Although 3 hours with the SR-Omega or the TakeT H1 might be another matter.

I'm with you there on the SR-Omega. Add a T2 to the mix and I might be inclined to donate some vital body parts...
eek.gif

Just for kicks I stood up and opened the wooden box with the He90 inside. It didn't do that much for me...
tongue.gif

May 5, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #55 of 65
I'd have to say YES to that, about a 18months ago I bought the Senn HD 570,
it was ok but wanted something better.....you know the story.

Last summer I got the AKG 701, then this winter I got the Earmax Silver, two months later the HD 650 w/equinox cable, and now I'm looking at the Grado RS1. So is it addictive..........if you haven't already experienced it I'm sure you will if you're viewing this forum.

At least I sold the HD 570, now if I get the Grados I'll have to make the decision to keep or sell the 701s.

May 5, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #56 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't stand crappy cans anymore...I'm ruined for life!

Same here.....
redface.gif
Only place to go now....is up,and spend even more.

My next purchase will be a Red or Green, RSA Tomahawk middle of this month

Then ... Hmmmnnnn... new cans.
redface.gif

Likely some new Shure's in the 250 ~ dollar range.Then,I am going to buckle in and save for a few months,and get a Stax system.Entry level yes,but Stax all the same.After that....
blink.gif

May 5, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #58 of 65
no. there are two levels of enjoyment in this hobby: enjoying the music and enjoying the sound. i don't need anything over $100 to enjoy the music. there's always more room to enjoy the sound though. i prefer enjoying the music to enjoying the sound. so no, it is not addictive; just enjoyable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The older models (especially pre-digital) sound very different to the current models and it is the same with speakers. The older models have their charm but the newer TOTL are better at the end of the day.

Headphone nuts are more open minded and don't get dragged down in the endless flamewars about cables, magic rocks, magic clocks and others like it. Here it is common knowledge that cables matter and upgrading caps and resistors will improve the sound. The endless FOTM craziness here is a bit tiring though

you are putting words into people's mouths. who are you to say that no one here doesn't believe in cable sound? or that no one believes that expensive blackgate capacitors aren't worth it? how is it open minded to say to say that no one denies the significance of these two aspects of audio, especially when it is obvious you support them? flawed logic, in my opinion...

May 5, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #59 of 65
I think the low and mid-fi headphones are addictive because the buyer does a lot of soul-searching and wallet-emptying to find out what sound works best for them. Once you reach the peak, listen at leisure
evil_smiley.gif

May 5, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #60 of 65
2 months ago i got Senn HD595's, two days ago i ordered Dennon AH-D2000, and now i'm looking for an amp. Before that i used some Senn PX-200 for my ipod for 2yrs, and now after college i'm using headphones for home use instead of travel and school.

who knows what else i might get later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back