Are hi-fi headphones overhyped by audiophiles?
May 8, 2011 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 115

yann3804

100+ Head-Fier
Bose, Wesc, Dr. Beats are overhyped/overpriced headphones for audiophiles, while for non-audiophiles, those headphones are just fine for their price tag.

I started my hi-fi experience with a pair of Bose around-ear (not over-ear because those really suck) triport. After I found head-fi.org, many ppl here told us, Bose owners, that Bose headphones sucked. That's when I bought my pair of 'hi-fi' headphones, the Fischer Audio FA-003. I bought it because head-fiers liked it. So I thought... oh well... if They, the Audiophiles, like that particular headphone, it must be good.
2 months later I'm here with my FA-003 that I enjoy... but... have some of you listened to Bose headphones before? I think Bose is quite underrated here, because a/bing my FA-003 and my Bose AE, I saw no real difference. At least, not a $150+ difference. It's not just going to the shop and listen 2 seconds to them at the local bestbuy and say... those suck... because you heard from other audiophiles that they sucked. Buy them, test them at your home. Then we'll talk.

I'm beginning to think that there is no real 'hi-fi' headphone anymore

May 8, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 115
When I was about to buy my FA003, I asked if they were going to be better than the Bose. Most ppl told me Bose was trash and that the FA003 should beat it by a country mile. That wasn't the case for me. In fact, not at all. Maybe not for some of you, but I literally wasted $250 on a headphone that didn't really do things in a better way.

I don't particularly like Bose, in fact, the AE is the only Bose I own. I just think the hi-fi thing is really overhyped by audiophiles. Just like Bose tries to advertise their stuff for the non-audiophiles, Sennheiser/Shure/Hifiman etc. are trying to get those that don't like to follow the rules. That's what I'm thinking, it's just another way to sell things

Again, sound is subjective. But try to get to the local bestbuy and 'rent' a non-audiophile hp, I think you'll be quite surprised to see you're not really missing anything

May 8, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 115

Quote:
haha

nice avatar blufox

Uh thanks. I had this avatar for ages

Quote:
When I was about to buy my FA003, I asked if they were going to be better than the Bose. Most ppl told me Bose was trash and that the FA003 should beat it by a country mile. That wasn't the case for me. In fact, not at all. Maybe not for some of you, but I literally wasted $250 on a headphone that didn't really do things in a better way.

I don't particularly like Bose, in fact, the AE is the only Bose I own. I just think the hi-fi thing is really overhyped by audiophiles. Just like Bose tries to advertise their stuff for the non-audiophiles, Sennheiser/Shure/Hifiman etc. are trying to get those that don't like to follow the rules. That's what I'm thinking, it's just another way to sell things

Again, sound is subjective. But try to get to the local bestbuy and 'rent' a non-audiophile hp, I think you'll be quite surprised to see you're not really missing anything

You sure it's not your source? I think it might be kinda a stretch to call hi fi to be overhyped cause some clearly don't think it's overhyped at all. I'm a noob at all this so I wouldn't know for sure. 

May 8, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 115
My source is decent (ALC888 by Realtek and good Psu)
Again, I don't really believe the Amp thing, but if it does exist then I can say my FA-003 is driven really well off my mobo

May 8, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 115

Quote:

so you bought 1 headphone which you didn't like/feel the difference in SQ isn't worth the $$$'s and that in turn makes all other headphones overrated ?

on board soud good ? LOL

are you trolling ?

Are you trolling? Not all onboard sounds bad, some are very decent actually. The chip on my EX58-UD3R mobo is very decent, plus a good psu to feed it with good juice

Yes, it makes every headphone overrated because on that particular FA-003 thread, audiophiles said the FA003 to THEIR ears was better than most headphones, including HD600, HD555, M50, SRh440, SRH840 even HD650 in some case

Problem is that those headphones cost even more than the FA003

May 8, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 115
In a way, if you treat average listeners in the same stratosphere as audiophiles yes it is overhyped. With many factors such as diminishing returns and preferred sound quality you're bound to get subjective opinions. The actual percentage of people willing to spend that much money for headphones is actually very small, and that small percentage is what makes up head-fi. Most people wouldn't spend anywhere near the asking price even if they heard firsthand because to them the difference between an entry level and high-end is rather subtle.

May 8, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #12 of 115
I'm not sure of a PSU has anything to do with the audio quality. My onboard audio sounded like crap (with a 500w psu driving it) through my grado SR60i's and those are very easy to drive. My small sansa clip+ beats it in sound quality alone, the onboard audio has a harsh sound all throughout that I couldn't stand. Have you tried A/Bing with different sources? 

May 8, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 115
Onboard sound is always terrible. You really need to get a new source or find someone that has a better source. Do you have a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater with a headphone out?

May 8, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #14 of 115
Quote:
My source is decent (ALC888 by Realtek and good Psu)
Again, I don't really believe the Amp thing, but if it does exist then I can say my FA-003 is driven really well off my mobo

I was quite skeptical like you when I first started out. Don't instantly dismiss something like the effectiveness of an amp or dac before you've sampled a high quality source or amp. What we have right now is usually acceptable until we hear something better.

Then again if you're happy with the Bose AE just stay with that pair and keep your wallet happy.

May 8, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #15 of 115
Any other person I know familiar with the term "audiophile"(about three people. :B) says that they can tell no difference between a 96 kb/s .wma and iBud than between FLAC's and "hi-fi" headphones. I personally believe that that is a load of crock, but maybe some people have different tastes, as stated before.

Oh, and by the way, I use my onboard sound-card with my M50's alone and I love it. There's nothing wrong with it. :atsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back