Are Grado's Dangerous?
Dec 7, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #47 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
They'll kill you in your sleep and you'll die a horrible death and they'll need DNA analysis to identify your body it really is that bad.

Wow, maybe that explains all those long-time members who disappeared without a trace. Someone should check their profiles for Grados!
icon10.gif

Dec 7, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #48 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
Well I finally tried out the sr60 fo the first time.I was caught up in the amazing sound for over 45 minutes with no pain and reall pretty comfortable without any adjustments.I was at low to moderate volume but definitely lower than ive had it with Koss cans and my creative zen xtra.
When i took them off my ears didnt hurt but had that pressure feeling you get after a plain flight.It lasted a while but i wonder if i would have noticed it if i hadnt read this thread.im now burning in my 60 for four days with non monitored radio music and will try it again.Damn it all I LOVE this sound.Its like nothing Ive heard before but im a nervous wreck about ear problems.

Someone's been seduced.

Dec 7, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #49 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
They'll kill you in your sleep and you'll die a horrible death and they'll need DNA analysis to identify your body it really is that bad.

That's what a sennheiser representative told me. Don't trust him though, cause of that time I woke up with a HD650 cord mysteriously wrapped around my neck.

Dec 7, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #50 of 85
If in fact grado has done something to the sound on their phones that causes permanent hearing damage when listening to music at low to moderate volume they would not be in operation.when you think of the thousands of grado headphones that have been sold over the years.I just dont believe this would not have been a major health scandal that put them out of operation.selling equipment that damages peoples senses is an insane business decision for any company to make and in our sue mad society the lawsuits would be flying.
Yes I was seduced by the grado sound but having exposed myself to low end koss and Sony fontopia phones i was flat out amazed at my first experience with grado playing 64bit wma creative zen content that i expected would sound like crap.The price i found the grado sr60 at(below 50 with coupons and holiday sales)was enough of a reason to hold onto them even if I have to listen at whisper volume to preserve my hearing.the alternatives to the grado sound as listed here are all above the $150 price level and actually one can is up over $300.Anyways I did get some kind of pressure feeling in my ears after my first 45 minutes and im burning my 60 in now and wont be using it for a few days and then i will make my evaluation.the mind is a powerful force and i want to make sure its not playing paranoid tricks on me.If grado is causing harm i hope they come out with dampning covers they mail to all registered customers or i cant see much of a future for them.I am now cautiously optomistic. matt

Dec 7, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #51 of 85
Any headphone can cause hearing loss, and likely will. Hearing loss is a natural part of life and aging. Every individual has less hearing ability at age 60 than they do at age 20. You just don't want to exhilarate it by spending to much time in noisy environments, listening to headphone too loud, shooting guns without ear protection, etc.

Grado may be more prone to causing hearing difficulties than some other brands, with some people due to their un-restraind high end. So if you are having problem try out another brand and see if they work for you. Once your hearing is damaged you won't get it back.

- augustwest

Dec 7, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #52 of 85
Reversing the bowls on my HF-1's after reading this post has really made a difference. I listening to the HF-1's for over an hour this morning before work and the sound was excellent and I didn't notice any fatigue. I also stretched the headphones as Grado recommends and both of these things added to the increased comfort. I guess I didn't bend them enough when I first opened the package. Anyone having problems with their Grados should at least try this before getting rid of them.

Dec 7, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #53 of 85
Quote:

I had the same thing. Try different pads. Its the combination of pressure from the headphone clamping your ears, as well as the shape and construction of the bowl pad.

This is true. It's mostly the uncomfort of the Grados that cause the pain I believe. I always hated Grados until I got my C-Pads from Headphile for my Woodied HF-1's, and now I can listen to them all the time with no comfort issues (I never had ringing or in-ear pain, but my outer ears HATE stock Grados).

Dec 7, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #54 of 85
There seems to be three distinct types of Grado "pain":
1) physical pain from the way the headphones sit on your ears
2) inner ear pain from aggressive high frequencies
3) perceived pain from harsh recordings.

People use the word "pain" a lot when talking about Grados but it's not always very clear about what kind of pain they're referring to. This thread seems to mostly be about #2, not how the headphones sit on people's outer ears.

Dec 7, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #55 of 85
The continuous pressure from the grate-o bowls will create sour spots, somewhere in depth between bottom of both ears and the top ends of the jawbone, they are sometimes mistaken as inner ear pain too.

Dec 7, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #56 of 85
Oddly enough, when I first got my SR60s, somewhere around the second day I suffered a great deal of fatigue while listening-- that same inner ear pain a lot of people are describing in this thread. I took off the 'phones and went to bed. I popped them back on the next day, wondering if I had just been sensitive the day before (headachy or something)... Strangely, I listened for hours without pain. Two months plus later, I've never experienced that initial problem again.

I wonder if it has something to do with break-in?

Dec 7, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #57 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meifa
Oddly enough, when I first got my SR60s, somewhere around the second day I suffered a great deal of fatigue while listening-- that same inner ear pain a lot of people are describing in this thread. I took off the 'phones and went to bed. I popped them back on the next day, wondering if I had just been sensitive the day before (headachy or something)... Strangely, I listened for hours without pain. Two months plus later, I've never experienced that initial problem again.

I wonder if it has something to do with break-in?

I think it physically broke-in your ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #58 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
I think it physically broke-in your ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Quite possibly. I wonder if there'll be any long-term repercussions. Hope not, cause I love me some Grados.

Beaten into submission by the SR60
basshead.gif
! Scary mental image, actually.

Dec 7, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #59 of 85
I think that depends on the type music you listened.

After overnightly listening to Shigeru Umebayashi's 2046 movie theme even from a speaker 3m away with very low dBs, my ear and head can hurt like a tomtom too
icon10.gif

A big part of musics are really NOT meant to be sleep therapies.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 7, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #60 of 85
Everybody should approach this a little more "scientifically". It's not a surprise that ears may be aggravated by *any* aggressive headphone...since that's when your really "using" your ears. For example, someones eyes can hurt after hours (or even short periods) of reading or video gaming...because you're using them in a more demanding fashion. Everybody is different in what their body can tolerate.

The original poster should read some info like this:

http://www.holistic-online.com/Remed...tin_causes.htm

Then see your doctor and work on the cause...then please report back to us.

P.S. I get tinnitus from time to time, but it does not appear to coincide with Grado use or any loud noise. The joys of getting older
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back