Are Grado's Dangerous?
Dec 6, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #31 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
People are blowing this all out of proportion.

Welcome to Head-Fi.
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #32 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
"Known problem" may be a little strong as far as language goes. Grados are voiced this way; it's not necessarily a problem unless the listener doesn't like it.

Word.

Dec 6, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #34 of 85
I had this issue as well. I loved the grado sound, but my ears were in lots of pain even at low volumes.

Dec 7, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #35 of 85
It could also be a driver mismatch. Up to 2db of difference between left and right is probably not all that uncommon (despite the specs) and can be perceived as high listening fatigue. The image will be shifted slight to the left as well, but I'd bet some people would notice the fatigue before the shift.

More likely though, you've using a set of pads that's a bad match for your ears. Bowl pads are sonically fatiguing to me, but vwaps and flats are great.

Dec 7, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #36 of 85
Same thing used to happen to me too, till I learned to turn the volume down. I'm a ex Senn fanboy, and with the HD-580/600/650 you need the volume turned up high for them to shine. Grados sound best and are best for your ears at low volumes with proper amplification. IMO.

If your volume is already low, you are using an amp and they are still fatiguing, look into swapping opamps/tubes to something a little less bright if possible
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #37 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEcted1
It happens with both my HF-1's and my SR-80s. This is super depressing because the HF-1's are EXACTLY what I want in a can. Just my luck they have to inflict pain. ERRR!!! It happens more with the HF-1's then the SR-80s despite the HF-1s mids and highs being less forward.

I wish there was some sort of doo-dad (i'm not a techie with this kind of crap) that would cancel out all noises above a certain frequency... like the frequency where most humans can't hear.

You can always EQ-out the offending freqs. I use a pretty cool parametric EQ plugin for Winamp by the name of Shibatch Super Equalizer (ver 0.03). A lot of times I think its also just physical discomfort.

I find the bowls less comfy than the flats, but they sound better so I'm willing to let them break in for a bit. I generally find them to be intolerable if I'm wearing glasses, but I wear contacts most of the time anyway.

I don't know what sort of FR the Grado HF-1 has, but the SR-60 is one of the most balanced FR's of the Grado line ironically enough, probably why I still love them after all this time: http://www.headphone.com/products/he...rado-sr-60.php

Dec 7, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #38 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
I wouldn't worry too much. The SR-60s come stock with comfy pads which cut the highs quite a bit compared to bowls.

I had to sell my sr60 because after 15 mins, my left ear would get a cramp. It's the most painful thing i've felt in my ears. And believe me, the volume is low.

Grados i CAN'T use
SR series

Grados i CAN use
HF-1
RS series

Dec 7, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #39 of 85
Crazy, I didn't think this many people had this problem. If so many of us are having this problem then there must be something wrong here. If your inner-ear hurts after listening to cans for 30 mins then that's a problem. I just hope no damage is being done to our ears even if we aren't having any pain... coarse I might just be paranoid.

Well, Grados hurt my ears way worse then it's worth so I will probably end up selling my cans... That really really sucks because they sound so awesome otherwise. It doesn't make sense that even at really low volumes my ears cramp up really bad after very little time. I've had enough headphones in my day and I've never had this problem before. Ugh... poor sweet HF-1's
frown.gif
I wish you weren't so painful.

Dec 7, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #41 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
I see a pair of senns in your future. At least your ears wont hurt.

That does seem to be the solution. Perhaps in the FS/FT forum someone will want to trade some senns for HF-1's. The only thing I dont like about senns is that they are much harder to drive then the Grados.

Dec 7, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #42 of 85
Well I finally tried out the sr60 fo the first time.I was caught up in the amazing sound for over 45 minutes with no pain and reall pretty comfortable without any adjustments.I was at low to moderate volume but definitely lower than ive had it with Koss cans and my creative zen xtra.
When i took them off my ears didnt hurt but had that pressure feeling you get after a plain flight.It lasted a while but i wonder if i would have noticed it if i hadnt read this thread.im now burning in my 60 for four days with non monitored radio music and will try it again.Damn it all I LOVE this sound.Its like nothing Ive heard before but im a nervous wreck about ear problems.

Dec 7, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #43 of 85
Actually, I might hang up my headphones for good. I have a ringing (albeit faint) in my ear and I feel as though it's either a tinnitus warning, or tinnitus itself. I don't want it to get any worse. I never had it until I started listening to the Grados (SR-80s first) and I am responsible with my listening.

Dec 7, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #44 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
Well I finally tried out the sr60 fo the first time.I was caught up in the amazing sound for over 45 minutes with no pain and reall pretty comfortable without any adjustments.I was at low to moderate volume but definitely lower than ive had it with Koss cans and my creative zen xtra.
When i took them off my ears didnt hurt but had that pressure feeling you get after a plain flight.It lasted a while but i wonder if i would have noticed it if i hadnt read this thread.im now burning in my 60 for four days with non monitored radio music and will try it again.Damn it all I LOVE this sound.Its like nothing Ive heard before but im a nervous wreck about ear problems.

mattg, I am not trying to scare you at all, but I was having those exact effects at first. That is why I went to the doctor because I thought I had an ear-infection or something. PLEASE be careful... again I would never try to scare anyone on purpose. You could just be paranoid though... and rightfully so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back