Are expensive cables silly squiggly snakes? Ahhh! Mine eyes!
Jun 18, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #1,501 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where is all this information comming from?
rolleyes.gif

From my experience with 30+ power cords and at least half as many interconnects.

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #1,502 of 1,535
This makes a huge impact on myself. I often stress out about a product if an upgraded cable is said to make a large enough difference even to the point of not buying the gear because I can't afford it and the cable at the same time.

I have the idea that nicer cables make you feel that the job is being done better. I even use monster cable for my cable modem to the wall. However, after a certain point of around $50-$100 I think it is completely useless, but I may be wrong. All in all make your own unless absolutely impossible. I can make cables for free that look better than the top notch monster RCAs because my uncle has all the TOP spec spools and connectors. That he has collected over the years from businesses going out of sale. Though sometimes I am lazy and spend $100 on a subwoofer cable and feeling guilty but how "shiny" it is makes me feel like it is better and makes you LISTEN HARDER for details because of it.

Now my main issue is POWER CABLES. I have never really worried about it until lately and I feel like it is necessary but they are much more difficult to compare. And it is the only cable I have not heard anything other than stock for yet and am really concerned it might make a bigger deal than interconnects.

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #1,503 of 1,535
I noticed more of a difference with stock 650 cable then a 150 Cardas recable.. I had very hopes for the Cardas cable for my 650, and was really disapointed.. I do believe my ears, because I told myself I would hear a good improvement. So my ears are trust worthy. When my SA5000 was recabled with 650 stock cable, I told myself there would be no difference, but I heard different. I believe cables can influence a headphones sonic characterstics, either good or bad.. I'm a believer, but price isn't the main factor. I'm getting my DT48a recabled by apuresound. The V3. And If I notice no improvement, then it was a expensive risk on my part, but too many people here, who I have trust in, feel, at least with apuresounds V3, that there will be benefits. Now buying a 1,400 replacement cable for your 1,400 HD800 is beyond silly IMO. Any cable maker who would even sell a headphone replacement cable for a grand or more (Typical length) needs to have a morality check, or a 30 day refunding option, or demo.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #1,504 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now my main issue is POWER CABLES. I have never really worried about it until lately and I feel like it is necessary but they are much more difficult to compare. And it is the only cable I have not heard anything other than stock for yet and am really concerned it might make a bigger deal than interconnects.

My (limited) experience up till now tells me that this is indeed the case. And not by a small margin either.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #1,505 of 1,535
Cables are easy to compare. You have to learn the characteristics of the metal they are using. Copper sounds different than Silver. Silver plated copper has it's own sound. Solid core sounds different than stranded. Rhodium Connectors sound Different than Gold or Silver. Insulated sounds different than uninsulated. And so on. Where do you want to start?

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #1,506 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cables are easy to compare. You have to learn the characteristics of the metal they are using. Copper sounds different than Silver. Silver plated copper has it's own sound. Solid core sounds different than stranded. Rhodium Connectors sound Different than Gold or Silver. Insulated sounds different than uninsulated. And so on. Where do you want to start?

May I ask which one you consider most accurate?

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #1,507 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I ask which one you consider most accurate?

Um, that is a tricky question? It depends on the gear? On my rig I like Silver plated copper with Rhodium over Silver connectors

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #1,508 of 1,535
A cable is either accurate or it is not, it either passes a signal largely unmolested (all cables attenuate the signal to some extent) or it messes around with it. It has nothing whatsoever to do with what is at each end of the circuit. If a cable messes with the signal it is easily verifiable.

I have tested several cables varying from $0.77 to $139 and of wildly different topologies (shielded, unshielded, stranded , solid, copper, silver, silver-plated, undirectional, directional) and not one of them has has any appreciable effect on the frequency response, the single most important determinant of sound signature representing frequency and amplitude information.

The only other parameter of note is noise and here there may be more notable differences though none I have found to be audible with my setup, the spectral content of noise is subtly different but the overall levels are still very very very (one more for luck) very close and way below the theshold of hearing. All other audio parameters being solely encoded in the audio stream and not subject to change by cables.

There is no such thing as synergy between cables and components, it is all a matter of physics pure and simple, Silver is not bright it does not accentuate high frequencies why would it, copper is not warm it does not roll off high frequencies how could it do this, what part of the molecular structure or electrical properties of copper could be responsible for such an effect ?.

Skin effect is meaningless at audio frequencies, and even massive differences in RLC in fact make negligible difference on the ability of a cable to transmit a low frequency signal over the short distances involved, the only circumstances where you might conceivably get differences would involve absurd differences in gauge (like the tests Monster used to do) and absurd lengths of cables.

There is no single case anywhere of anybody verifiably being able to detect a difference between any two interconnect cables under controlled conditions.

If real differences exist why has no single interconnect cable manufacturer ever been able to reliably demonstrate the audible superiority of their products, even against the unshielded flimsy bare metal connector cables freely available and which I have tested. Why were the cable manufacturers I approached unwilling to submit to my very simple tests.

Why can no interconnect cable manufacturer show any evidence that their cables have any material effect on the signal.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #1,510 of 1,535
Nick...

...these are all reasonable considerations, but tell them to the cables! Many of them are quite wayward.
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #1,511 of 1,535
still dont get how frequency response will tell you if a cable is brighter or not. it's not going to be louder

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #1,512 of 1,535
Really, I don't thing there is such a creature as a neutral cable. They all color the sound one way or another.

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #1,513 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by endless402 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
still dont get how frequency response will tell you if a cable is brighter or not. it's not going to be louder

Frequency response is graphed as frequency (x axis) vs. amplitude (y axis). If a cable has increased amplitude at higher frequency, one could say it is brighter. Barring passive filters of some type (ala MIT boxes, etc.), I don't see how you would do this.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, I don't thing there is such a creature as a neutral cable. They all color the sound one way or another.

If a piece of wire isn't neutral, then nothing is.

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #1,514 of 1,535
What kind of wire? What makes it neutral?

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #1,515 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frequency response is graphed as frequency (x axis) vs. amplitude (y axis). If a cable has increased amplitude at higher frequency, one could say it is brighter. Barring passive filters of some type (ala MIT boxes, etc.), I don't see how you would do this.

If a piece of wire isn't neutral, then nothing is.

can something sound brighter without an increase in amplitude? brighter, not louder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back