Are expensive cables silly squiggly snakes? Ahhh! Mine eyes!
Jun 18, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #1,516 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by endless402 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
still dont get how frequency response will tell you if a cable is brighter or not. it's not going to be louder

When someone says item A is brighter than item B it is generally taken to mean that they think that item A emphasises high frequencies relative to item B.

If cable A really is brighter (emphasises high frequencies) than cable B then you can see from comparing the frequency responses. You simply pass a white noise sample down each cable and measure the level of each frequency response at the receiving end, a flat cable will show a flat frequency response with all frewuencies more or less at the same level a bright cable will show a lift of energy in the upper frequencies.

here is a crude example

cablesnhg.jpg

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #1,517 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, I don't thing there is such a creature as a neutral cable. They all color the sound one way or another.

In frequency terms you are quite wrong, I have a whole thread dedicated to measuring cable frequency responses, frankly meaningful differences I just did not find

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #1,518 of 1,535
You can't measure color, you hear color. And listening is what I'm all about. Not Measuring.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #1,519 of 1,535
Quote:

You can't measure color, you hear color. And listening is what I'm all about. Not Measuring.

Pray tell me what "colorations" you can hear that may not be measured ?

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #1,520 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If a piece of wire isn't neutral, then nothing is.

Nothing is.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #1,521 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA
What kind of wire? What makes it neutral?

I would think any; say copper? Low resistance, inductance and capacitance contribute to making it neutral. Of course nothing in a physical world is perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
If a piece of wire isn't neutral, then nothing is.

Nothing is.

OK.... then why do we even bother recording stuff, since you can't possibly get a "neutral", or unaltered recording of the event?

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #1,522 of 1,535
Quote:

Um, that is a tricky question? It depends on the gear? On my rig I like Silver plated copper with Rhodium over Silver connectors

I did not mean to trick you with the question. I wanted your opinion on what you considered as better. I should have also included that I meant in your system as well. Obviously cable selection for less transparent systems would be different.

I'm going to assume you have tried all the other cable types you mentioned as well. Which reference did you use to select silver plated copper with rhodium plated silver connectors as the cable you deem more accurate in your system?

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #1,523 of 1,535
Quote:

OK.... then why do we even bother recording stuff, since you can't possibly get a "neutral", or unaltered recording of the event?

To come as close as possible to neutrality – or to make the music sound pleasing. You can't reproduce the live event 100% accurately. You can't even record it 100% accurately. Far from that.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #1,524 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not mean to trick you with the question. I wanted your opinion on what you considered as better. I should have also included that I meant in your system as well. Obviously cable selection for less transparent systems would be different.

I'm going to assume you have tried all the other cable types you mentioned as well. Which reference did you use to select silver plated copper with rhodium plated silver connectors as the cable you deem more accurate in your system?

With my tube amp, Copper can sound a little warm. Silver plated copper cooled it down a bit. And then Using Rhodium plated RCA's to add a little smoothness and softness. For Power I use a Furutech 15 AWG Silver plated copper with a copper ground with Oyaide Rhodium Over Silver Power connectors. My EIC with Fuse holder is Furutech with Gold Plating, Rhodium was sold out at the time. And I use A Rhodium Furutech fuse. This sounds great with my RCA 6AS7 and Sylvania 6SN7 tubes. Then My amp is on brass footers from Mapleshade and is on a wood platform with Mapleshade Isoblocks. So with everything involved I really like the sound of my amp.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #1,525 of 1,535
Quote:

With my tube amp, Copper can sound a little warm. Silver plated copper cooled it down a bit. And then Using Rhodium plated RCA's to add a little smoothness and softness. For Power I use a Furutech 15 AWG Silver plated copper with a copper ground with Oyaide Rhodium Over Silver Power connectors. My EIC with Fuse holder is Furutech with Gold Plating, Rhodium was sold out at the time. And I use A Rhodium Furutech fuse. This sounds great with my RCA 6AS7 and Sylvania 6SN7 tubes. Then My amp is on brass footers from Mapleshade and is on a wood platform with Mapleshade Isoblocks. So with everything involved I really like the sound of my amp.

That's quite a setup you have there. I'm glad you like the music you hear with your equipment. I still didn't get a reference from you though. I wanted to know how you are able to determine that copper is too warm. Are you comparing to a different set up or comparing to the original recording?

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #1,526 of 1,535
I am comparing cables.

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #1,527 of 1,535
THE ONLY question that matters is, is stock cable the same as $50 dollar cable.

Because in the end the insane cables are all you have to upgrade after you have the perfect headphone,amp, and source, so might as well get the best cable on the market.

I am more concerned with if I really would notice the difference between stock cables and $50-$100 ones.

EDIT: And Big Poppa why do you have hundred dollar + cables with garbage sub $200 headphones. Why not get real increase with HD800 RS1 or something and medium priced cables? I dont understand. KSC75? Recabled for $100? Seriously...

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #1,528 of 1,535
Why would you say his headphones are garbage? From what I have read so far he makes most of his own cables and he enjoys the sound of all his equipment. Isn't enjoyment of your own gear the true goal of this hobby?

Jun 18, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #1,529 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To come as close as possible to neutrality – or to make the music sound pleasing. You can't reproduce the live event 100% accurately. You can't even record it 100% accurately. Far from that.

Well, I disagree with you WRT to a piece of wire not being neutral. No way to really verify this as to listen at any point in the chain involves... wire. If a piece of wire really isn't neutral, then nothing in electronics anywhere is. I agree that a recording cannot possibly capture an event, but the goal of course is to come as close as possible.

Jun 18, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #1,530 of 1,535
Quote:

If a piece of wire really isn't neutral, then nothing in electronics anywhere is.

I agree with you. Corresponds perfectly with my experience.
wink.gif
Seriously: I'm being serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back