Are Cans Even That Good
Oct 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #47 of 55
Quote:
The Beats' ANC isn't that good to begin with. The AKG K272HD/K271MkII have very nice passive isolation. Neutral sound as well, no emphasis on bass.

Some others I can list off the top of my head:
Shure SRH840, SRH940
KRK KNS 8400
Ultrasone HFI-780
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Ultimate Ears UE6000

I second the suggestions by viralcow for the AKG K 271 and the Ultrasone's.  Although the AKG's aren't extremely portable if you are looking for that.  If you aren't huge on bass, I'd definitely look at these...especially at their priced point being under $150 on amazon.  Great isolation as well.

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #48 of 55
I'm trying to decide between:

1. Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
  2. Brainwavz HM5
  3. Fischer Audio FA-003 (out of stock but new ones coming by December)

I know The FA-003's & HM5's are the same but if the FA-003's are getting revamped (not sure if they are) then they might be better...unless the HM5's get revamped to the same thing.

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #49 of 55
Just a tip: The best thing to do is match headphones to the kind of music you like. That will make the most difference in the long run. Unlike speakers, headphones, because they sit close to our ears, don't have a flat frequency response and are often tuned depending on the market they are aimed at. The second thing to consider is how loud you listen, which also effects how the headphones will sound for similar reasons.  In the end, if you can't try headphones in a store of some sort, you'll have to take a gamble on a pair and decide how much you like the results, though your brain will adapt to them over time, which will help. 
smile.gif

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #50 of 55
Quote:
Just a tip: The best thing to do is match headphones to the kind of music you like. That will make the most difference in the long run. Unlike speakers, headphones, because they sit close to our ears, don't have a flat frequency response and are often tuned depending on the market they are aimed at. The second thing to consider is how loud you listen, which also effects how the headphones will sound for similar reasons.  In the end, if you can't try headphones in a store of some sort, you'll have to take a gamble on a pair and decide how much you like the results, though your brain will adapt to them over time, which will help. 
smile.gif

I thought the problem with the Beats was that they don't even sound that good with the music that they're supposed to be used with.

This is coming from someone who has experience with the original Beats line (from the Solos to the Pros). I've listened to all of these unamped with my Walkman and someone else's iPod Touch. They really don't give you value for the money. Also, there was a thread on here about someone's new Solo HDs' hinges making annoying squeaking sounds when placed on the head. That's low-quality manufacturing for you.

The ZX700s are a viable option, especially as you can get them for pretty cheap atm. They have an immersing soundstage, sound quite balanced, and are not very sensitive to lower-quality files. The only caveat for me was that they didn't isolate particularly well because of the way that the earpads conformed to my head, though my sister did not have the same problem.

https://www.blinq.com/#consumer-electronics/headphones/sony-dr-zx701ip-drzx701ip-monitor-headphones-for-iphone/81733

I've posted this website countless times, and it's a great deal if you live in the US.

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #53 of 55
I like my HD 558 more than my Triple.fi 10 IEM in every way except bass. There's too little of it, even boosted by an E17. That's why I'm upgrading to the HE-400 soon :D

Might upgrade the TF10 to the UE900 too. Need something more comfortable for mobile use. Shut up, wallet.

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #54 of 55
If you haven't found an answer yet, you will also need to consider how large your ears and head are to meet that criteria of over-ear.
I have bought a few headphones from suggestions of other head-fiers.
When I received them, I might have liked the sound but they were either too small for my ears or too large for my head.

If isolation is your real top priority, then I wouldn't take iems out of the race.
There's a particular one going for about $30 now (Sony MH1c).
It's a small investment to figure out the sound signature you like. This is not counting the fact that it's being compared to some of the top iems in the market.

As for the FA-003/HM5.
Your ears will HAVE TO ADJUST to the level of bass.
When you first throw them on, they appear completely bass light.
But then again, they might not since you said the beats had way too much bass for your tastes.

I kept my pair because they remind me of what a more mid-centric and neutral headphone should sound like.

Nov 3, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #55 of 55
When people say beats suck, you have to realize thats coming from someone whos job is to critique headphones. And those people are very critical of their sound. The beats I do not believe sound good for $300. I have a $30 pair of IEMs that isolate more, and sound better. The bass is punchier, but not as boomy. I am by no means an audiophile and i prefer my xb500s to my brother studios. If you like the studios, get them. People on here are just saying that for the money you can get something better sounding. Personally the biggest problem I have with beats is the noice cancelling. It isolates less sound than my vsonic gr99 IEM's (not tested, but I can actually hear a notiecable difference) and you have to have batteries for it to work. Look at it this way, those headphones need batteries just to play music, they seriously dont even noice cancel. I think what does get canceled is just from the passive isolation of the pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back