Are Cans Even That Good
Oct 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #16 of 55
Read my above comment to the last guy that screamed troll. People like you are ridiculous. If you read all of my posts in this thread you could easily conclude I'm not a troll. Don't try to "squeeze" an apology in your comment by saying sorry when the rest of it was filled with bashing. Did you just read one post and scroll down and reply? I elaborated in the thread on how I have read plenty of posts on here and none stipulated what you just said. I'm a first time buyer, knew nothing about audio equipment before coming here and just taught myself through the forums. I came here initially comparing Beats vs other headphones (because Beats is all I had previous experience with) and everyone trashed them and said all sorts of others were better. So I took their self proclaimed advice and started comparing models on here. I narrowed it down to the Senns and found that Beyers were no better than Beats despite people rating them close to Senns. So that took me back to step 1. Never during that process did I ever hear any mention of the the better isolation offered in closed back, just the fact that open back offer better sound stage. Take your non useful replies elsewhere I don't need to waste any more time arguing. 

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #17 of 55
The entire second half of your first post is essentially question the taste and experience of most people on this forum.  Like I said if you aren't trolling you sure come off that way as saying things like that to get a rise out of people is the very definition of it and adding beats into the mix while you may not have been intending it makes it seem that much more like it since anyone who has visited this site long enough knows that just saying beats will get people coming out of the wood work.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #18 of 55
There is a bit of a learning curve, yeah.

Try making a post in the portable section with your criteria if you're down to go the IEM route since you'll probably get better/more reccomendations there; it will really be the best way to go if isolation is your priority. Or search around for good noise cancelling headphones if you're set on over ear.

Unfortunately I don't believe there is anywhere you can demo IEMs at, because that would be kind of gross. I personally love the NE-700x's with foam tips, but I don't have much IEMs to compare them to other than cheap ones.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #19 of 55
Scyy - Yea it prob would be better. I knew it would leak I just didn't know how much and I was surprised. However, I didn't realized it would let sound in. It may seem stupid, but whatever, maybe I didn't think about it.

As for IEMs, does anyone know if they're potentially damaging since they're actually in the ear?

jwong - It's because people bash Beats and then recommend things like Senn HD555s & higher - All of which are open. Knowing what I know now, that makes no sense. Why would you tell someone that likes Beats that they suck and recommend a completely different product? I think people just honed in on a few aspects of Beats and expected that everyone likes them for their fashion or bass. Well I liked them for the isolation and so then when they didn't stipulate in the recommendation that the Senn's didn't provide isolation it didn't add up. 

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #20 of 55
Logitech UE6000 199.99 at best buy. Balanced sound, maybe a little warm with great isolation. The noise cancellation mode is crap though. I think you would prefer them to the beats.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

As for IEMs, does anyone know if they're potentially damaging since they're actually in the ear?

No, not at all. I've even asked my doctor about it.

Only problem is that if you use them frequently your ears will be producing a little more wax than usual.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #22 of 55
The beats-to-head-fi phenom is an interesting one indeed. In gamer's terms, imagine being introduced to MOBA's through league of legends, then trying to learn Dota 2. Your going from a watered down, ease-of-use 'noob' format to something infinitely more nuanced, unforgiving, and a huge time investment for rewards that aren't necessarily everyone's cup of tea. I think, not to offend you, but Beats and Bose are essentially the gateway drug for people with a previously undiscovered taste for good sound.

If marketing hype and style satisfy your needs, and lets face it, the majority of consumers won't bother to do some light google research, beats will certainly be enough. At cursory listen, Beats provide that immediate wow and fun factor that so easily attracts a fresh consumer. I won't lie when I first put on a pair at best buy 4 years ago I was awestruck, for a bit. In that respect we can commend Beats marketing for opening the floodgates for people who would never have known about the very huge world of headgear. I stumbled upon head-fi and other related forums from a different route (always purchased low end senn's, klipsch, UE, etc since middle school), beats were never on the radar for me. It wasn't until I started making my own money that I was ready to make a moderate investment in audio equipment. In the advent of Beats, other brands (monster included) have stepped up their game in the 'mid-fi' market, in which you're just getting your toes wet.

Compare Duncan Jones' "Moon" or Michael Bay's "Transformers." Both categorize as Sci-fi, but it's apples to oranges. Transformers is loud, flashy, and fun. I don't hesitate to say the first one was highly enjoyable in a big crowded theater. Moon on the other hand is an homage to the genre. It's a character study: elegant, slow, an acquired taste, with a huge payoff if you're patient. That's just my $.02.

Also, IEM's are perfectly safe, it's a question of how you use them. They have a bad reputation because people buy less than stellar isolating IEM's and CRANK them up to drown ambient sounds. That's like standing in front of loud-speakers to drown out Time Square. Buy a reputable pair of IEM's and some comply foam tips and you can diffuse most noise (I'm talking subway noise) pretty handily. Etymotic Hf5 are well touted as being very isolating. What you lose from an IEM though is soundstage, bass rumbles. Personally they are minor losses compared to the isolation, portability, weight, and potential clarity an IEM brings to the table. Noise cancelling just irks me and I shy away from them. Most of us on Head-fi have relatively sensitive hearing and for me that cancellation noise feels like a pressure drop and it's just unpleasant.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #23 of 55
So you've heard ibuds, Beats, and an open Beyer which you heard at a store. You never compared them, but instead you're basing your conclusions on a quick impression you had.

Beats can give you that initial "wow"- in fact, it was my friend's Beats Studio's that really got me interested in better cans. But I can assure you it's a false impression. I wouldn't pay $100 for the Beats. Going off by quick impressions is never a good idea to judge headphones.

One more thing. You say the Beats are worth at least $150. I could suggest a few closed headphones right now that cost less but sound better. People here like Malveaux could probably make an entire list. I suggest you get one and listen to them for a while. You won't be able to go back to your Beats after a month or two.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

Buy a reputable pair of IEM's and some comply foam tips and you can diffuse most noise (I'm talking subway noise) pretty handily

I second the comply foam tips, I find them absolutely essential for IEMs. Not only do they create a perfect seal, they also help with comfort a good deal.

$15 may seem like a bit much for some little tips but I just about pooped my pants when I first heard the difference.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #25 of 55
I actually tend to preferred closed back headphones due to being around noisy environments which as others pointed out may be in line with your preferences... I have also heard beats.

About a year ago I went around trying to find my next pair of heapdhones, this is before I ever found head-fi. I read a lot of reviews, and ultimately bought a pair of Klipsch Image S4s. They were far better than the stock buds I was using from my zune, but I didn't find them comfortable all the time (I like to chew gum. Chewing with IEMs I find is uncomfortable lol. They are now my gym pair.) So when I went around looking again, I tested quite a few brands from various stores, beats included, I ended up with a pair of B&W P5s. I'd recommend checking them out, closed back, good isolation, no battery required, pretty comfy.

Some may argue that they aren't the "most accurate reproduction", but neither are beats. That's okay. It is a preference, but I thought you may at least dig another pair of "similar" (easy to drive, closed back, portable) headphones to try out. There are actually quite a few people on here that own and like beats. The key is just to listen to as many options as you can and just pick your favorite, other's opinions be damned.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:
So you've heard ibuds, Beats, and an open Beyer which you heard at a store. You never compared them, but instead you're basing your conclusions on a quick impression you had.

Beats can give you that initial "wow"- in fact, it was my friend's Beats Studio's that really got me interested in better cans. But I can assure you it's a false impression. I wouldn't pay $100 for the Beats. Going off by quick impressions is never a good idea to judge headphones.

One more thing. You say the Beats are worth at least $150. I could suggest a few closed headphones right now that cost less but sound better. People here like Malveaux could probably make an entire list. I suggest you get one and listen to them for a while. You won't be able to go back to your Beats after a month or two.

Sweet, just figured out the quote function for my reply. Anyways, yea anything $100-250 is what I'm looking for. If it's more than $125ish I'll wait & shop around till I find it cheap. Any experience with the Fischer Audio FA-003? Any recommendations? Closed or IEM only is what I'm looking for. 

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #27 of 55
I listened to some beats recently and was quite impressed they stood out amongst the other headphones I listened to that day. If you like them, buy them, there is no wrong or right, only your ears and your preferences. PS. welcome to the forum, there are some guys on here who really, really know there stuff and who's advice you should take on board.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:
I second the comply foam tips, I find them absolutely essential for IEMs. Not only do they create a perfect seal, they also help with comfort a good deal.

$15 may seem like a bit much for some little tips but I just about pooped my pants when I first heard the difference.

Agreed. Small investment-Big payoff. Also silicone tips don't fit everyone, and they sound different (less warm) than foams. You just have to sample a Huge range of headphones to find a signature you like. Personally sibilance and treble sparkle just give me a headache, so I tend to shy away from certain beyer models, most sennheisers ( I use 558's for gaming, skype and movies, but not music) due to my preference for darker, easy going sounds that are more listener friendly than analytical.

The portable page has 2 compendiums of IEM's, one that covers mostly Asia based IEMs at mid to low price, the other a bit more detailed with high end/customs thrown in the mix. Both have a final tally/score system that is super informative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back