Are Bose respected?
Aug 24, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #91 of 101
For background music, Bose are okay. For critically listening, for get about them. That said, my wife has just scored her parent's Bose 501 speakers. They'll be nice for the kids or out in the garage or something.

I kinda like the Wave radio, though (nice in a bedroom or in an office). The really expensive, heavy, sound isolating aeroplane headphones (over 1K) are really cool and fine for folks with strong neck muscles.

Dr. Bose knows how to market. His products are not all that special, albeit somewhat innovative (i.e., the Bose 901 speakers). Bose is overpriced for what you get. That being said, a lot of folks like Bose speakers. I'm not one of them.

Cheers!

Aug 24, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #93 of 101
With brands like Bose and Apple, you pay mostly for the customer service. With both I had a replacement within 7 days.
I really can't say that about Ultimate Ears or Shure.
Ultimate Ears took nearly 3 months and Shure took 2~3 weeks.

So do I respect Bose? Yes. Their CS is Great.

Aug 24, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #94 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by ounkchicago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that Bose headphones sound better than most other headphones they sell at Best Buy. But that's only because they don't sell Sennheiser and AKG!

Hmmm... Bose vs. Sony vs. Skullcandy. All the audio heavyweights in one place!

Man am I ever glad online retailers are around...
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #95 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by LnxPrgr3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you bought anything else yet?

I will say this -- if my Bose hadn't fallen apart on me, I'd still be putting up with mediocre sound...

Not yet. I'm like you during your exploration phase. I came here looking for information about the UE Super.fi 5 vi, which is the same as the Super.fi 5 (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/n...ackage-348371/) and due out in October. Reading through ~ 1000 posts, I think I'll either go with the LW or the Freq, esp if I can get one with a cell phone mod like the UE vi. (Yeah, I know cell phone SQ suqs, but I want the isolation so I can hear the other person, even if it's only in one ear.) The UE 10 vi is > $400 and out of my budget.

I'm sure I'll think the Bose QC's are inadequate after hearing some quality IEM's. That doesn't change my perception that Bose raised the sound bar high enough for millions of people that niche companies can provide products for thousands of people with better ears who KNOW they can get better sound for their money. Our richness of selection comes in part from Bose driving a mass market for improved sound quality. Just compare any Bose product to the stock earbuds that come with an iPod, Zune or any other PA source.

While tipping my hat to Bose, I'll drive the opposite direction from their outlet store in Gilroy to the LW HQ to get a much better product for less money, smug in my self-righteous satisfaction that I made a better decision than millions of other consumers out there...
(OK, I haven't decided on LW yet because of the phone interface, but it just flows too well artistically to state it otherwise.)

Aug 25, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #97 of 101
i have a pair of bose in-ear headphones (got them free) and i have to say i am thoroughly unimpressed by their sound. i also have the denon d2000 as my main headphones.

if this is at all representative of their range of headphones then bose are crap! plastic/fake presentation of mids/vocals, bass extension isn't great either. its a decent enough sound but all in all a very average pair of earphones. comfortable and comes with a nice leather case but you'd expect way better sound quality for the price (they retail for £75 here). i sold the other pair i had sealed on ebay.

i had a 3rd set too that i gave to my mum. she didn't think that much of them and she's hardly an expert on these things.

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #98 of 101
Are Bose.....ha ha ha ha...resp...ha ha ha....respected?..HA HA HAHAHAHA!
Are you ha ha ha ha ki...ha ha ha....kidding? ha ah aha ha ha ha ha!
dt880smile.png

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #100 of 101
bose products sound "natural" and pleasing to the ears, they are "musical".
Bose started with noise cancellation flight headsets for pilots, and they were the absolute excellence when they came out.
Nowadays some pilots still use them :p
However, in the recent days they started to become very overpriced, with the acoustimass module products (including the companion 3 and 5 speakers), some in-ear phones, and ultimately with the lifestyle and sounddock products.
But if you go back you'll see reviews about how great the bose 901 and 501 were, so it's not all in there.
For example, the bose musicmonitor speakers are extremely small, but when you hear them you'll say "they must have a sub hidden somewhere.
Yes, they use a lot of DSP, but in the end they sound GREAT for the size, almost unbelievable.
In headphones, Bose' noise cancellation algorythms are the best out there, and they blow every other NC headphone out of the water.
So it's not all bashing.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #101 of 101
I remember talking with one of my classmates a year ago about gaming and the topic moved onto gaming headphones. At this point I stated that i don't buy into the whole "5.1/7.1" surround sound headphone thing because it's gimicky and sounds like crap. He then made a joke "what are you some kind of audiophile?".

I said yes and he said "ahhhhh nice man, so what kind of headphones do you use? You must have some really expensive Bose or something."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back