Are Bose respected?
Jun 21, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #61 of 101
I've never looked into Bose stuffs, but I got the impression that they are mainly selling expensive computer speakers. Tiny drivers just doesn't arouse me, real audiophile know speakers should be huge and beefy. I don't even know they sell headphone if not for Head-fi.

Jun 21, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #63 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ... Tiny drivers just doesn't arouse me, ...

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

[size=xx-small]
j/k
smily_headphones1.gif

[/size]

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #65 of 101
I had a pair of triports...i thought they kicked ass until i bout some ety's...total different sides of the spectrum. the triports are as bass'y as hell (hence the name-tri port). Ya can compare it to a kid you see with a box in his trunk.....you know he can't hear any vocals. they cost $100, would fall out of my ear, the tips would fall off and tey basically suck...thank god they don't work with iphone or i wouldnt have gotten ety's, and i wouldnt be writing this.

Jun 23, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #67 of 101
Their marketing is among the best on the planet. As such, they are able to brainwash a majority of the general public into thinking that their overpriced speakers and headphones are the best in the world, which is quite a feat. A feat that even P.T. Barnum himself would be proud of. So yeah, I would have to go ahead and say that I have a bit of respect, at least for their marketing team. As for their actual products, not so much. If the prices of Bose products was reduced by 60% or more across the board, then I would have considerably more respect for their products.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #68 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by dayamax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why don't the other companies (Senn, Grado, AKg etc. ) who are offering better headphones at lower prices spend some money on marketing ?

Consider Bose's niche: people with enough disposable income that their price points are acceptable yet lack the initiative and/or common sense to make informed choices through product research. Now consider that they've spent 30 years or so capturing the mindshare of this niche through countless television and print ads. Just how much effect do you think targetting this same demographic from a competing manufacturer will accomplish?

I think if you're in Bose's target demographic, you're unlikely to be swayed by these "upstart competitors", and if you're not, you're unlikely to be swayed by Bose's marketing in the first place.

Jun 24, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #70 of 101
i have always refrained by commenting on the sonic qualities of bose because i'd never really given them a careful listen. so many people comment that they don't sound bad, but they're just overpriced. these observations bother me because i can only conclude that either too many people feel like they have to put their 2 cents in when they haven't really heard a pair or that they are jumping on the bose hate bandwagon. anyone who has listened to a properly driven decent pair of cans can clearly hear how piss poor a pair of bose sound. they sound like ass, thus no matter what they're charging it's overpriced. just my thoughts after actually listening to my friends pair from my setup. i was shocked that they pass these off as high end headphones.

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #71 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I...real audiophile know speakers should be huge and beefy.

Speakers huge and beefy?

Have you ever tried the ones with Mylar stretched tight between perforated steel plates or maybe long, thin strips of aluminum hung between rows of magnets?

They're delicate. And those are the source of true audiophilia.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #72 of 101
Well just go to general public and ask whether they any of the audiophile brands and 75-80% say no, and ask them if they know Bose, 99.99% say yes including us. Had to admit, I respect Triports a bit for their ultimate comfort.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #73 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speakers huge and beefy?

Have you ever tried the ones with Mylar stretched tight between perforated steel plates or maybe long, thin strips of aluminum hung between rows of magnets?

smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure they are.
biggrin.gif

What I meant is those tiny "surround" speakers that has dynamic driver less than the size of an adult palm and look more like a tweeter than a mid/treble driver.

I mean, how would anyone barely serious into audio think they would sound good?

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #74 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speakers huge and beefy?

smily_headphones1.gif

How about a nice pair of Aliante monitors with Scanspeak silk dome tweeters, and a well-integrated subwoofer? : )

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #75 of 101
Bose seems to get bashed on this board so much, but their phones are squarely "OK" regardless of the price.
And they do seem comfortable.

It's the price that gets people all worked up into a lather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back