Are Bose respected?
Jun 21, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #46 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Respected? Not really. Not that their stuff don't sound good, just over-marketed and over-priced. They simply don't worth their asking price.

QFT

No, really. I thought Bose headphones was like the "pinnacle" of audio-bliss of every kind, purely judging from their ads. Mind you, I actually had one of them tri-ports and loved it, UNTIL I came into this site.

Oh, what a wreck I've gotten myself into
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #47 of 101
I had a Bose acoustamass in my basement for a while because I borrowed it. It was a very expensive $900 unit and it sounded terrible. Bad as in thin sounding. My $150 RCA boom box sounded fuller and more analog than the that Bose unit. On the positive side, that Bose unit is smaller and easier to transport for parties so I'll give Bose fair credit for that.

Maybe some of the old 1970's Bose speakers were better. I don't know. But I have to admit that their portable speakers are excellent and the build quality is very good with nice bass that's not too over exaggerated. Those speakers are built like tanks and a worthy product. I would buy those if I need portable speakers. Perhaps sometime next year I'll get a pair for the computer.

Jun 21, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #49 of 101
Marketing is the key to the sucess nearly all business'. I personally don't hate bose, but I dislike there marketing strategies, as they simply are overpriced for the performance they provide. That bieng said, I would prefer to listen to a pair of nearly any bose headphone over ibuds. I just would not want to have to pay for them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #50 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned a pair of Triport In Ears which I used for a good year until the cable tore at the plug. I did enjoy them very much, comfortable semi-isolating earbuds with good bass.
smily_headphones1.gif
Of course now I can think of quite a number of better products to buy for $99 (what I paid when I bought it while I was in the US).

The search for a replacement lead me here where I lurked for a bit. I also owned a SoundDock during the same period which I enjoyed but nevertheless sold to fund some Head-fi related purchases. So I like Bose.
wink.gif
Since I wouldn't be here if it weren't for them.

More on topic: as have been mentioned, Bose is really only jeered at by the very fringe minority of audio consumers aka. audiophiles. Everyone else loves them.

You're right, but my gripe is that they are actually harming the audiophiles with their practices! If we could educate "the masses" about better audio, more consumers would demand better products. The prices would come down, and the upper tier stuff we use now would get even better!

What people don't realize is they can do better for the money. Or save a lot of money and have equal performance. Bose's marketing tells everyone they are the pinnacle of high fidelty and people believe it :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would prefer to listen to a pair of nearly any bose headphone over ibuds. I just would not want to have to pay for them.
smily_headphones1.gif

exactly
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #51 of 101
Bose is very well respected on this forum. Almost as much as goat crap is respected as a dish in an italian restaraunt.

Jun 21, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #52 of 101
In some ways, I admire Bose.

They do give an awareness to the public of some type of high fidelity even if it sounds like crap. In these times, most of the general consumers are clueless about good sound but they should be reminded that a higher quality kind of sound is out there. So if Bose gives them an awareness, that's great.

What bothers me is the ethics of other audio companies like Monster Cables bullying Blue Jeans cable. To me, that is unacceptable and I would rather rip them apart than Bose.

Jun 21, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #53 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose's marketing tells everyone they are the pinnacle of high fidelty

Every Company tells you there product is the best. what, d'you want coke to say " our drink is o.k., but you're better off buying royal crown cola" (who beat coke in taste test buy nearly 50%) ....yeah right.

People like you would want Sennheiser to have a big add saying, "i'd buy Grado headphones' cause they're better than ours"

Sorry Hayduke, but you and the rest of the Bose Bashing people are talking pure C*&P!

what do you want Bose to do to get people to buy their products. they're not a charity, I don't see Sennheiser giving headphones away....well that isn't true actually. I've gotten 2 free pairs of Sennhheiser's care of a subscription to STUFF.

Every hi-fi manufacturer will tell that they're stuff is made from kryptonite and therefore it enhances the performances, in some magical way, Unfortunately, your gripe that 'Bose is in someway the only company doing this" is invalid.

It's called marketing, all companies do it, grow up and get over it! and then come back with a more valid argument..

Jun 21, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #54 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every Company tells you there product is the best. what, d'you want coke to say " our drink is o.k., but you're better off buying royal crown cola" (who beat coke in taste test buy nearly 50%) ....yeah right.

People like you would want Sennheiser to have a big add saying, "i'd buy Grado headphones' cause they're better than ours"

Sorry Hayduke, but you and the rest of the Bose Bashing people are talking pure C*&P!

what do you want Bose to do to get people to buy their products. they're not a charity, I don't see Sennheiser giving headphones away....well that isn't true actually. I've gotten 2 free pairs of Sennhheiser's care of a subscription to STUFF.

Every hi-fi manufacturer will tell that they're stuff is made from kryptonite and therefore it enhances the performances, in some magical way, Unfortunately, your gripe that 'Bose is in someway the only company doing this" is invalid.

It's called marketing, all companies do it, grow up and get over it! and then come back with a more valid argument..

Whenever a company claims any of their products is "the best," I lose an amount of respect for that company in proportion to perceived deficiencies that would not be present in a product I would consider to be the best.
Quote:

Originally Posted by benchmark
HPA2™ Headphone Amplifier

The DAC1 and DAC1 USB feature the HPA2™ - Benchmark's signature high-current, 0-Ohm headphone amplifier. The HPA2™ is arguably the ultimate reference headphone amplifier. It will deliver the full rated performance of the DAC1 and DAC1 USB to the headphones. The HPA2™ maintains less than 0.0003% THD+N under full load. The DAC1 and the DAC1 USB both have two 1/4" headphone jacks on the front panel. The performance of the HPA2™ remains consistent even when two headphones are being driven simultaneously.

Uhh... are you guys on crack? No it is NOT! Shut up!

PS Audio claims that their top power cables are "generally considered to be the best on the market." Umm... nothing is EVER "generally considered" to be the best. Shut up!

"Grado... Truly the World's finest."

This, I will somewhat allow. The reason is that they don't make up claims, such as "generally," "arguably," or other bulls***. It is more their pride in putting out a great product than a marketing gimmick. Also, lots of people would agree with that sentiment.

Jun 21, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #55 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whenever a company claims any of their products is "the best," I lose an amount of respect for that company in proportion to perceived deficiencies that would not be present in a product I would consider to be the best.

Uhh... are you guys on crack? No it is NOT! Shut up!

PS Audio claims that their top power cables are "generally considered to be the best on the market." Umm... nothing is EVER "generally considered" to be the best. Shut up!

"Grado... Truly the World's finest."

This, I will somewhat allow. The reason is that they don't make up claims, such as "generally," "arguably," or other bulls***. It is more their pride in putting out a great product than a marketing gimmick. Also, lots of people would agree with that sentiment.

Wow, somebody is going to limit themselves to great experiences if they keep thinking like that. It's just marketing techniques, get over it and seek out what works best for your ears in the end.

Jun 21, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #56 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, somebody is going to limit themselves to great experiences if they keep thinking like that. It's just marketing techniques, get over it and seek out what works best for your ears in the end.

I just dislike flat out lies. It's rare that "the best" actually claim to be such, but sometimes credible companies make ridiculous claims.

Jun 21, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #57 of 101
so where are these claims that "Bose is the best" in their marketing material?

"better sound through research"

Ruark - "Firmly established as one of the great British loudspeaker manufacturers, Ruark is committed to providing you with the very best musical reproduction in your home." - like no one else is!

Polk - Polk Audio's I-Sonic sound will change the way you listen to music. Never before could you enjoy such rich, full-bodied sound from a system so compact and easy to live with.

B&W - B&W creates technologies and systems that world-leading studios - world leading in whose eyes? doesn't exactly tell you!

Sennheiser - World leader in wireless technology and consumer products. - in what way? sound quality?

Martin Logan - they effortlessly reveal every subtle nuance of recorded sound. - i've yet to anything to the contrary from any other speaker manufacturer. here we go, from Hump - "the HUMP NF01 is crystal clear as much with its looks as well as its audio quality" not a million mile apart.

Quote:

It is more their pride in putting out a great product than a marketing gimmick. Also, lots of people would agree with that sentiment.

i think it's more than that. I don't have a problem with companies having pride, but i do have a problem with vague misleading statements, that aren't backed up, like the one form B&W.

so it's o.k. for B&W to say that, but it's not o.k. for Bose to have names like ferrari, maserati, mercedes and porsche behind them. so it's o.k. for B&W, but for Bose, they're marketing Nartzies! It's o.k. for sennheiser to give away headphones with stuff magazine, but not o.k.for Bose to have a stand at the local airport (which I've never seen at any airport I've been to) giving away free air miles!

Quote:

get over it and seek out what works best for your ears in the end.

I think you're right, but then again, it would seem that somehow, we all hear different things out of the same product. I remember when a work colleague called Linn "shrill". well, if anyone has heard Linn products they're anything but Shrill. They're warm, and most people feel that Linn offer a good products for classical music (Linn Classik) and classical music is anything but "shrill". So why do we all hear different things from the same product?

Jun 21, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #59 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by onvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much would bose pay Head-Fi to get this thread deleted?
tongue.gif

"A new pair of Bose headphones: 200$
Really comfortable foams for them: 85$
Getting this bose-bashing thread deleted from head-fi: priceless.

There are things in life, that cannot be bought with money..."

wink.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #60 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrymr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"A new pair of Bose headphones: 200$
Really comfortable foams for them: 85$
Getting this bose-bashing thread deleted from head-fi: priceless.

There are things in life, that cannot be bought with money..."

wink.gif

For everything else there's Paypal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back