Are ATH-AD700s Audiophile Quality?
Mar 16, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #61 of 71
They're not perfect, but they're hard/impossible to beat for $100.

When people say they're light on bass, remember, bass is purely personal preference. Neutrality in headphones doesn't exist, because all headphones need a bit of a bass hump and they need 12k or thereabouts rolled off. Now as to how much needs to be rolled off purely depends on the listener.

You just plain won't find a more detailed 'phone with a better soundstage for the money.

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #62 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am by no means "loyal" to Beyer. If I ever hear better phones, I will buy them. I haven't heard anything better than DT150 so far, though.

arent you notorious for patronizing the dt770's bass in particular? eh...nvm

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #63 of 71
Head-fiers that call themselves picky audiophiles because they don't like the way SCL4s sound and don't know that there is a difference in the sound from different cd players.....need to do more research. I've never heard an Insignia cd player before so I cannot comment on it, but I would have to suggest doing some reading about amplifiers and sources before buying anything else. You also need to know that what other people think sounds good will not necessarily sound good to you, so you will have to tell us what you are looking for in your headphones rather than asking us if it sounds good.

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #65 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know how Ultimate Ears Triple Fi IEM compares to the AD700?

I prefer the openness of the ad900 but wouldn't walk around the streets with them on my head.

The Triple Fi is more sensitive and so tends to pick up more noise if you are listening on a noisy DAP. Fine with Ipods.

I only use the Triple Fi's in noisy places if I'm moving around. At home, I use closed cans or the ad900 since I prefer them for sound in comparison to the Triple Fi. (Which is excellent and isolates brilliantly)

Ian

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #66 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the openness of the ad900 but wouldn't walk around the streets with them on my head.

The Triple Fi is more sensitive and so tends to pick up more noise if you are listening on a noisy DAP. Fine with Ipods.

I only use the Triple Fi's in noisy places if I'm moving around. At home, I use closed cans or the ad900 since I prefer them for sound in comparison to the Triple Fi. (Which is excellent and isolates brilliantly)

Ian

Hi, thanks for the answer. Is there a difference between AD700 and AD900 in terms of SQ? And between the AD700 and Triple fi, which one has the better overall SQ? Thanks

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #67 of 71
okay, I have a theory.
this guy likes bass.
he said his $5 headphones sounded better than the scl4, which likely have way better SQ. so, he likes something about the $5 ones the SCL4s didn't have, and the only noticible thing all $5 headphones I've tried have is overblown bass.
it this is true, you might like some portapros.

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #68 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, thanks for the answer. Is there a difference between AD700 and AD900 in terms of SQ? And between the AD700 and Triple fi, which one has the better overall SQ? Thanks

I think the ad700 and super.fi are acutally pretty close in SQ, but I think the fis might be slightly better.
and as I recall, someone said something like "unamped ad900s are still better than amped ad700s. "
but ad700s cost around $200 less. so you kind of have to decide where to draw the line, if you're on a budget.
sorry 'bout the double post.

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #69 of 71
The ATH-AD900 is supposed to be a nice upgrade from the ATH-AD700, but some people still consider the AD900 to be a mid-fi can. By that logic, the AD700 would be mid-fi at best, and possibly even lo-fi. But who cares, really? If a headphone sounds good, it sounds good. Period. Those terms were only invented to make people insecure about their stuff. Some people want the best, and when they learn that their stuff is mid-fi, they'll want hi-fi gear. The human mind works that way for some. Just try to ignore that irrational part of your brain and you'll be fine.
atsmile.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #71 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sw33t.Shuga.Ray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
arent you notorious for patronizing the dt770's bass in particular? eh...nvm

"Patronizing" is a bad word choice. I defend the DT770s against fools who think that lifelike bass is somehow a bad thing, that is all. I also piont out the fact that those who call it "bloated", "muddy", etc. are lying since it is very well-defined and controlled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back