Are ATH-AD700s Audiophile Quality?
Mar 16, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #46 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to tell us what exactly about the SLC4 that you dislike. Other than the bass the AD700 is definitely top notch, but if you care only about bass there's better options out there. There's a lot of reasons why some people here think that IEMs will not give you the sound quality of a headphone.

The SCL4 has creamy details. I can't hear the vocals well enough. Just overall bad SQ.

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #47 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD700 is the cheapest available taste of the high end in a full size phone. The Alessandro MS1 adds a touch of flavor to the low end of the high end and is my next choice. For $100 the K501 would be my first choice for refined and accurate sound on a budget -too bad it's no longer made. These are some of my favorite phones regardless of price because they all sound very good and are very comfortable phones.

I see, the ad700 sounds like a good deal for the price. But unless there are some serious discounts on the "mid to high high-end" cans, I won't be able to afford them.

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #48 of 71
Hmm, anyone tried upping the bass balance using an X-fi card with these phones? its giving me crystal clear bass, no muddiness or boomyness.

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #49 of 71
you can always look for used headphones. With HD600/SR325i running ±200 you get some great headphones for a good price

on FS forum now: Sr225 for $140...

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #50 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, anyone tried upping the bass balance using an X-fi card with these phones? its giving me crystal clear bass, no muddiness or boomyness.

My 5-year-old Audigy SB gives excellent bass extension with this phone. I find this better than using EQ.

audigybb.jpg

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #51 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyrusal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 5-year-old Audigy SB gives excellent bass extension with this phone. I find this better than using EQ.

audigybb.jpg

i dont know why, but my heart keeps telling me im sacrificing quality in some horrible way :|...oh and i keep it on bar 2, anything above that starts booming.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #53 of 71
but still, theres still a chance that it may degrade quality :X

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #54 of 71
wrong: it does degrade quality...
you may of course very well prefer it that way
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #55 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can always look for used headphones. With HD600/SR325i running ±200 you get some great headphones for a good price

on FS forum now: Sr225 for $140...

I saw a Senn HD 650 on Craigslist around the time I bought the SCL4. I as like "nah, it's used and its SQ probably doesn't stand a chance against the SCL4s.
frown.gif
((((((((." Oh yeah, it was either $60 or $80.
frown.gif
(((((((

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #56 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wrong: it does degrade quality...
you may of course very well prefer it that way
wink.gif

Forget it! ill wait for my FiiO LOL

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #57 of 71
For me, a prerequisite for headphones to be audiophile is the ability to reproduce bass at lifelike levels. Since the ATHs are known to have very attenuated bass, they do not qualify in my book.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #58 of 71
^L3000 says different though.

Mar 16, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #59 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, a prerequisite for headphones to be audiophile is the ability to reproduce bass at lifelike levels. Since the ATHs are known to have very attenuated bass, they do not qualify in my book.

I agree (but as far I know you are a Beyer diehard).
I also did a comparison with the DT880/250 in the bass dept >amped with an Arietta >(generally)some say its a trade off for detail vs bass its actually just different sound sigs (but ad700 are better known for excellent soundstage)>Beyers are actually very detailed > the neutrality can be a little irritating if your not used to dt880 - it makes the ad700 seem bright after the short honeymoon I had with the dt880 (which I like for several reasons) > oh my point is amping the ad700 helps a bit

Mar 16, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #60 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sw33t.Shuga.Ray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree (but as far I know you are a Beyer diehard).

I am by no means "loyal" to Beyer. If I ever hear better phones, I will buy them. I haven't heard anything better than DT150 so far, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back