Are ATH-AD700s Audiophile Quality?
Mar 14, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #16 of 71
I suggest you go out, find a local HiFi shop (or even a BestBuy kind of store) and listen to what they have. Or try a webshop with 30 day return policy to audition safely at home.

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #17 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest you go out, find a local HiFi shop (or even a BestBuy kind of store) and listen to what they have. Or try a webshop with 30 day return policy to audition safely at home.

Will any large electronics chain have headphone sampling?

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #18 of 71
Just had a listen, the sound is great but loses composure when lots of details are present, great soundstage, but somehow it lacks bass on flat eq? less punch to it, but bit detailed. Even the cheap sony headphones does bass... but not great for everything else.

Also the AD700 sounds bit softer, recessed in everything so far out of the box powered from the computer and iPod.

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #19 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I believe I am a really strict/picky audiophile. I don't know how I compare to other audiophiles, but, to me, Shure SCL4 (IEMs) are quite quite poor in terms of sound quality. So now, I saved up some money, am about to sell my SCL4s to get a ATH-AD700 and a CD player for excellent sound quality. But will the AD700s satisfy an audiophile like me? Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm using a Sony Walkman DAP A815 which only plays one type of losseless (WAV) - and WAV sounds quite flat on that player, not to mention the player is only 2GB. So... CD player!

Oh, yeah.. They really excell at 80's music, especially new wave.. I played around with the treble and bass, and are sounding better for music.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #20 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just had a listen, the sound is great but loses composure when lots of details are present, great soundstage, but somehow it lacks bass on flat eq? less punch to it, but bit detailed. Even the cheap sony headphones does bass... but not great for everything else.

Also the AD700 sounds bit softer, recessed in everything so far out of the box powered from the computer and iPod.

The is bass is very good..Articulate, doesn't stand out or get in the way..But adding 4.5DB of bass really livens things up a bit.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #21 of 71
i just got my AD700, and wow, i can hear so much detail its amazing :xf_mad:! you may think bass is lost, but it is so there.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #22 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol ever since people have found out that you've been running your K701s straight from your laptop headphone jack, you've been so defensive; it's rather amusing.

If I hear the, 3x-20xs better argument again I'm going to step on someones triports.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #23 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just got my AD700, and wow, i can hear so much detail its amazing :xf_mad:! you may think bass is lost, but it is so there.

A 75 ohm adapter gives more improvement. Just bought one.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #24 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A 75 ohm adapter gives more improvement. Just bought one.

You serious? im not using my Fiio e3 since its not here yet, just using it with my ipod, ive read about an adapter making it better...what improvement do you speak of?

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #26 of 71
OMG THANK YOU! :xf_mad:...

gonna find that thread!!!!

btw does it lower the sound output from my Ipod? since it can barely handle 40ohms

ps: whoever said you cant headbang with these headphones is lying lol.

Mar 14, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #27 of 71
Man, I went into a local shop that used to carry Beyers hoping to audit the 880 today, found out they stopped carrying those because "they didn't sell".
They had the AD700 and 500s there on demo, I swear, most reviewers weren't kidding when they said the bass lacked presence. I will try them again ampped up properly though.

Heh, my gf thought the 500s sounded better.

Side note: I wonder why they fit so loosely, maybe they've had a lot of big headed people auditing them...

Mar 14, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #28 of 71
Most likely, these things are tight on my head, lol, and my head is bigger then everyone in my class :p.

about the bass, i found it lacking on the ipod too, most likely the FiiO E3 will remedy that, But my Creative X-fi extrememusic gives me some great bass, Crystallizer on and off

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #29 of 71
If by asking that these are "audiophile quality", you want to know if they are good cans, then I can say yes, without a doubt. IMO, the bass is definitely there, it doesn't have the impact a lot of people are after. They lean towards the upper frequencies, have awesome soundstage, and are a great can for $100. I highly recommend them, if you are not after lots of bass. Again the bass is there in all ranges, just not as much impact.
If you are after "audiophile quality" for $100, that definition of audiophile doesn't exist here from all the reading and research I've done on this forum. Do some research, look at some of the headphones people are talking about. There are $500 cans that are getting ripped apart for lack of this or that. I think if you want a good can, then the AD700 can't be beat for $100, but you know your budget, not us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back