Are ATH-AD700s Audiophile Quality?
Mar 14, 2009 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

hurryup

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I believe I am a really strict/picky audiophile. I don't know how I compare to other audiophiles, but, to me, Shure SCL4 (IEMs) are quite quite poor in terms of sound quality. So now, I saved up some money, am about to sell my SCL4s to get a ATH-AD700 and a CD player for excellent sound quality. But will the AD700s satisfy an audiophile like me? Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm using a Sony Walkman DAP A815 which only plays one type of losseless (WAV) - and WAV sounds quite flat on that player, not to mention the player is only 2GB. So... CD player!

Mar 14, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 71
maybe.
tons of people here are picky, but I don't know of anyone who thinks the scl4s sound terrible. I think they might just not be your thing (not enough bass, highs too rolled off, too bright, ect.)
I think you just need to find a phone that suits you better, because no one on here will be able to tell you what you'll like.

Mar 14, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 71
I have no idea what others' definition of audiophile quality is; don't really care. They sound great to me. My phones are for my enjoyment, not status symbols.

Mar 14, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no idea what others' definition of audiophile quality is; don't really care. They sound great to me. My phones are for my enjoyment, not status symbols.

lol ever since people have found out that you've been running your K701s straight from your laptop headphone jack, you've been so defensive; it's rather amusing.

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe.
tons of people here are picky, but I don't know of anyone who thinks the scl4s sound terrible. I think they might just not be your thing (not enough bass, highs too rolled off, too bright, ect.)
I think you just need to find a phone that suits you better, because no one on here will be able to tell you what you'll like.

Though it is still common knowledge that full-sized cans have much better SQ than IEMs. I've been told that the Triple fi (one of the best IEMs) is only comparable to mid range cans at best. Anyways, in your sig, I've noticed that you have the AD700, as with almost everyone in this forum, - so how good are they? How do they compare to scl4s or any IEM you may have? BTW is a CD player a good idea to get good sound quality? Thanks.

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 71
You'll only know if you try. We don't know how you are gonna hear it
wink.gif

and lossless on a 2gb player??

'a' CD player may be a good choice, depends on which one you get...
What equipment do you have already? What are your goals? What do you want to spend? What kind of audio equipment have you heard before

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll only know if you try. We don't know how you are gonna hear it
wink.gif

and lossless on a 2gb player??

'a' CD player may be a good choice, depends on which one you get...
What equipment do you have already? What are your goals? What do you want to spend? What kind of audio equipment have you heard before

What do you mean by which CD player? Don't they all play lossless files (CD)? I only have Sony MP3, Sony EX081 buds, SCL4s. I want the AD700 and want to know if they're audiophile level because the SCL4s clearly aren't satisfactory to me.

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 71
What are the things you don't like abut the SCL4?

Going from SCL4 to AD700, you get wider soundstage, less creamy mids, better treble extension and sparkle. IIRCC bass quantity is not that different either, the SCL4 and AD700 both have rather polite bass.

If you decide to buy the AD700, try it with the Sony DAP first and see if you like it. I think yours is already pretty good.

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #10 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My phones are status symbols. I don't care if I enjoy them or not. I just use them to gain....STATUS! It's hard to believe you aren't the same.

You must be some sort of anomalous wack-job!

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #11 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the things you don't like abut the SCL4?

Going from SCL4 to AD700, you get wider soundstage, less creamy mids, better treble extension and sparkle. IIRCC bass quantity is not that different either, the SCL4 and AD700 both have rather polite bass.

If you decide to buy the AD700, try it with the Sony DAP first and see if you like it. I think yours is already pretty good.

You make it sound as if there's not that much a difference between the AD700s and SCL4s in terms of SQ. If I increase my budget to $150, will there be any cans with significantly better SQ?

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntingtheholy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My phones are status symbols. I don't care if I enjoy them or not. I just use them to gain....STATUS! It's hard to believe you aren't the same.

You must be some sort of anomalous wack-job!

Oh, you have no idea. Check his post history. He's quite the interesting... thing.

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean by which CD player? Don't they all play lossless files (CD)? I only have Sony MP3, Sony EX081 buds, SCL4s. I want the AD700 and want to know if they're audiophile level because the SCL4s clearly aren't satisfactory to me.

it isn't about what kind of media they play, it's about the output you get. i guarantee my H120+D10, even with 192kbps mp3's, will sound gallons better than a 1991 discman's headphone-out

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #14 of 71
playing lossless isn't the only thing a CD player does, different models actually sound different
wink.gif

very cheap ones very likely sound like garbage.

"audiophile level" is a term that doesn't tell anything, it's all relative and personal and what not. Many members here are happy with the AD700, you may be too but you'll only know if you buy/audition one.

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #15 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
playing lossless isn't the only thing a CD player does, different models actually sound different
wink.gif

very cheap ones very likely sound like garbage.

"audiophile level" is a term that doesn't tell anything, it's all relative and personal and what not. Many members here are happy with the AD700, you may be too but you'll only know if you buy/audition one.

Before I bought the sony mp3 and SCL4 I had an insignia CD player, using a $5 headphone, it sounded great playing lossless CDs. Then the cd player broke. I know that theres no standard for being an audiophile, so all I know is that the SCL4s arent good enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back