Are ATH-AD700s Audiophile Quality?
Mar 14, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #32 of 71
audiophile-on-a-budget level
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #34 of 71
You need to tell us what exactly about the SLC4 that you dislike. Other than the bass the AD700 is definitely top notch, but if you care only about bass there's better options out there. There's a lot of reasons why some people here think that IEMs will not give you the sound quality of a headphone.

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #35 of 71
To answer your question, an AD700 won't satisfy your "audiophile" needs. Maybe a HD650, RS1, AD2000, or D5000/7000. Or something higher up on the scale. But not an AD700, despite it being an awesome budget phone. Be less of an audiophile snob and enjoy your music.

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #37 of 71
The AD700 is the cheapest available taste of the high end in a full size phone. The Alessandro MS1 adds a touch of flavor to the low end of the high end and is my next choice. For $100 the K501 would be my first choice for refined and accurate sound on a budget -too bad it's no longer made. These are some of my favorite phones regardless of price because they all sound very good and are very comfortable phones.

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #38 of 71
I don't buy that full-size cans are always better than IEMs. I've enjoyed my Etys more than more expensive full-size models like the DT880 and HD650, and they still have a place in my stable even with the K701s and D5000s around.

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #39 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD700 is the cheapest available taste of the high end in a full size phone. The Alessandro MS1 adds a touch of flavor to the low end of the high end and is my next choice. For $100 the K501 would be my first choice for refined and accurate sound on a budget -too bad it's no longer made. These are some of my favorite phones regardless of price because they all sound very good and are very comfortable phones.

Holy cow! theres 3 Ends in the 3 ends? O_O!?

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #40 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I believe I am a really strict/picky audiophile. I don't know how I compare to other audiophiles, but, to me, Shure SCL4 (IEMs) are quite quite poor in terms of sound quality. So now, I saved up some money, am about to sell my SCL4s to get a ATH-AD700 and a CD player for excellent sound quality. But will the AD700s satisfy an audiophile like me? Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm using a Sony Walkman DAP A815 which only plays one type of losseless (WAV) - and WAV sounds quite flat on that player, not to mention the player is only 2GB. So... CD player!

Don't know if this will help, but here goes:

SoundStage! "All In Your Head" - Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 Headphones (4/2008)

Hope it does/did.

Oh, and I agree with Donunus as well. 100%

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #41 of 71
I find that I have to equalize my a729 and up the Clear Bass to 1-2 to attain the sound I'm after. Then again, this might be due to the a729 being bland with flat EQ settings.

I also hear more details with the headphones connected to my laptop. This might be due to my player's sonical chracteristics; most Sony DAPs are quite warm and not too revealing in my opinion.
The phones are certainly revealing enough to reveal the characteristics of various sources.

I'll also try the impendance adapter once I get the Mustang. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #42 of 71
I just pulled my old Luxman LV-100 integrated amp from the basement, and found out how to get good bass for the AD-700's, get better amplification. WOW just brought the cans up yet another level. These things keep getting better and better.

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #43 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Theres a whole thread about it.. Improvements that I remember. Bigger and deeper sound stage. Better bass punch and impact.. Improved mid range and detail. The adapter is just 20.00.

I'm the one who started the thread about using a 75ohm adapter. I was just experimenting, so I wasn't expecting much. But to my surprise, there was a noticable improvement. The soundstage became both wider and deeper. Highs, though already sounding very good, were extended. I could here more air around the instruments. Separation was also improved. I was originally using the adapter with my er4ps. I basically got the same improvement with the 700s as I got with those. This may or may not work with other cans. It certainly improved my ad700s.

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #45 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To answer your question, an AD700 won't satisfy your "audiophile" needs. Maybe a HD650, RS1, AD2000, or D5000/7000. Or something higher up on the scale. But not an AD700, despite it being an awesome budget phone. Be less of an audiophile snob and enjoy your music.

I can't enjoy my music because my equipments' SQ are too low quality. A picky audiophile like me needs the phones you mentioned, however I cannot afford them. At the most I have $150 to spend. So... Maybe if there are some good deals, but regularly priced I can't afford them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back