Are 600/580s neutral?
Jul 31, 2002 at 2:51 PM Post #31 of 43
lou -

ok, let me get this straight, because I am not sure I understood your last 100 posts or so. You are happy with your current HD580/Equinox & receiver, and the KSC35+TA combo. You wish you had not spent the money on the Supreme, maybe even the 580's too, and you won't be spending money on headphones for the rest of your life. Did I get it all?

sheesh! I appreciate opposing viewpoints when it comes to upgrading equipment and such, but give it a rest. If you are happy with your setup, that is at least partially due to your ability to have experimented with different pieces of hardware so that you could arrive at the place you are now. If someone has an itch to scratch and the money do spend on a new back-scratcher, who are you/we to drone on and on how you/we are happy with y/our old one and he should be too?

Headphones are an extremely subjective lot. Peoples sound tastes are even more so. Just because I was happy with chicken today doesn't mean I wouldn't appreciate being exposed to sushi and love it. Maybe sushi is worth the extra expense. Maybe my tastes change over time and what I was happy with last year, no longer satisfies today. It is called growing.

I can certainly appreciate getting off the "upgrade-itus" treadmill. But just give people the information and let them be adults and decide for themselves.

-j

Jul 31, 2002 at 3:31 PM Post #32 of 43
jpelg
HI: You are right and if I mislead with my post even the last 100 or more I am sorry for doing such a thing. I mean no harm and all is just my opinion. Sorry if I upset you with any of my post And will take your sugestion and let live and let live. Is this correct at least? Or do you sugest that I just stop posting? I mean you seem to have found fault with my last 100 post. Amazing. Maby you are just way to intellagent to understand a simple man like me. I always thought that I had a right to have an opinion but maby I am wrong about that. So again sorry.

Jul 31, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Or do you sugest that I just stop posting?

C'mon lou. I would never suggest that. You, and everyone else's simply stated, coherent, and relevant opinions are more than welcome, as I hope are mine. I think you have made your position clear, and that is all good.

No offense taken by me. And there is no need for self-depricating comments. I am sure that you are not the "simple" man you portray, and I did not mean to offend you either. It just seems that all of your posts in the past few weeks seem to say the same thing regardless of the actual specific topic at hand.

Friends?
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 4:08 PM Post #34 of 43
jpelg,

I agree! I don't want people to think I was saying not to upgrade, because that can be half the fun of this hobby. I was only trying offer some thoughts on andrzejpw's experiences with other can's. I only meant that if he likes what he's hearing he shouldn't worry about not liking something that is supposed to be as good or better. If he's happy with what's he's got then stick with it until something he like's better comes along and unless your not looking there's always something better.

Phil

Jul 31, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #35 of 43
jpelg
HI: I am sorry if I misunderstood you. My fault. I see what you mean now and didnot realize that I was harping the same thing or no keeping on topic in my post. I will have to think more about what I post no pun intended for I would like to be of some help here even if only a small help. And yes Friends is great for we are the few meaning all members who take high-fi to the level that we do and I think that all of us should be friends. We have a common intrest and I think we are all mean well with our post.

Jul 31, 2002 at 4:11 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Music? What's that??
confused.gif

biggrin.gif

A signal we use for evaluating headphones?
confused.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 5:29 PM Post #37 of 43
I am confused, what exactly are you trying to apprehend? The title at hand is "Are HD580 "neutral?" Then you ask if you have become "neutralized" to the sound as if it's a bad thing that you actually like what you hear.
confused.gif
Don't buy into to markl's crazy deciphering guide, they are clearly biased... (no offense mark)

If you are asking if they have a flat frequency response, in my opinion, the answer is no, and neither was the Etymotic ER-4S. The closest thing to neutrality for dynamic headphone was Grado HP-1000. If I read you correctly, you seem, along with many others, to have this notion that a flatter frequency response correlates to higher quality, I really disbelieve that the two go hand in hand. There are plenty of really crappy "neutral" headphones. You say that the Beyerdynamic DT-831 sounded horrible, I thought it was pretty good (detail and clarity), what I disliked about them was the weak bass and overly bright treble.

Jul 31, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #38 of 43
Beagle's onto something when he says that (paraphrasing now, don't have the exact quote in front of me) all headphones are colored. 'Tis true! We simply choose which colorations bother us least!

The question was "are the 580s and 600s colored". Well, in comparison to an amplifier, most any decent amplifier, YOU BETCHA! Their frequency response irregularities (and frequency response irregularities are what we're talking about when using the term "colored") are many orders of magnitude beyond what any sane person would tolerate in an amplifier. But by the standard of headphones, they're actually among the more "neutral". And this isn't just subjective. It can be proven with fm interstation hiss, or other pink, or even white noise test. Ideally the hiss should sound like running water, with no distinct "pitch". Any distinct "pitch" to the sound (and if you want to hear what i'm talking about when I say "pitch", pick up a really bad headphone, such as a Koss TD-61, Sony MDR-V600, or anything else that's truly awful, and you'll hear multiple "pitches") is the result of a narrow, high-q "peak" in frequency response at the particular frequency of the "pitch".

I know, we don't listen to noise, we listen to music, right? Well once you've heard these frequency response irregularities with a noise source, it is IMPOSSIBLE (for a person with normal hearing) not to hear them when listening to music sources. Be careful! If you are fond of the way your headphones sound, and haven't budgeted for new ones, you may not want to subject them to this test! FEW headphones pass the test across the audio band without any detectable "pitches". But the HD-580s and HD-600s are among the best (read "most neutral/least colored"). They ARE uncolored by headphone standards. But that's like saying "he's honest by Used Car Salesman standards". Electro-mechanical transducers such as speakers and headphones have a L O N G way to go before they are TRULY uncolored. Until then, we will all have to choose the flaws we can live with most comfortably, from among a field of nothing-but flawed products!

Jul 31, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

«A signal we use for evaluating headphones?»

A sad truth – at least part of it. I'm glad not to be alone...
wink.gif
The price for upgraditis is less listening pleasure.

By the way: to my ears (!) the HD 580/600 are fairly neutral, more than any other headphones I've ever heard – except for the ER-4. Their main coloration (beside the 200 Hz step, the notorious «bass hump») is the 8 kHz dip, which makes the sound a bit lackluster, while the Grados, e.g., are the pure opposite.

04465_fg.jpg

JaZZ

Sorry, the brackets seem to prevent the image link from working automatically...

Jul 31, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #40 of 43
Dr. Lini, dairy psychiatrist, says: "Patient andrzejpw, you are suffering from a bad Sennheisoneurosis. Take 1/2 hour of K240S a day, and you'll soon be cured or you are a hopeless case."
biggrin.gif

It might work, though...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 31, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

well, really everything is colored. So it's about the dumbest thing you can do is to worry about if something is colored or not. Give it up already! If it sounds good to you, then guess what? That means it IS good and who cares what anyone else thinks.

How true, looks in drawer sees 6 arguably world class headphones, looks on table see's at least 2 world class amps with another on the way, 2 portables, and another on the way and thinks.......I never said I wasn't sick but I sure am having fun!

I have decided I like equipment for equipment's sake, like listening to all different combinations with different material, and above all have not found one best headphone/amp combination for all material. I now believe this is impossible...If your headphone and amp were perfect your poorly recorded material would sound horrible. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
wink.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2002 at 4:31 AM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
bifcake
My stereo receiver jack out put has way more power than the supreme and I am just happy with it. Now I am working on getting a meta42 to use my 580s in portable mode. I now use the koss-35 that sound great with the total airhead but I would rather use my fantastic 580s for all my listening both portable and main.

If you're happy with the way your headphone jack sounds, then use that. I thought you were looking for a way to hook up your headphone amp to your receiver. That's why I was suggesting using the receiver's pre-outs to connect your headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back