Are 600/580s neutral?
Jul 31, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #16 of 43
well, really everything is colored. So it's about the dumbest thing you can do is to worry about if something is colored or not. Give it up already! If it sounds good to you, then guess what? That means it IS good and who cares what anyone else thinks.

Jul 31, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
I guess you're right. . . but its really bothers me. . .

Stop listening to them then mwhahaha...

Biggie.

Jul 31, 2002 at 3:46 AM Post #19 of 43
Everyone's hearing response is different.
The best sound will come from the phones that matches the best with one's hearing.
How else can you explain the "maddness".
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
Everyone's hearing response is different.
The best sound will come from the phones that matches the best with one's hearing.
How else can you explain the "maddness".
smily_headphones1.gif

It goes deeper than just hearing. It goes to a matter of what we prefer, and what lets us enjoy music. I used to subscribe to the idea of a neutral reference that represented some sort of ideal...except it doesn't exist. I've found instead that each different component, colorations and all, can play an important role in the reproduction of recorded music. My favorite headphone, the R10, is NOT neutral, IMO (the closest to neutral I've got is the HP-1). However, another view might be that the component is a part of the musical reproduction, in some of the ways that a musical instrument is. I'm pretty sure that this concept lies behind the design of the R10. Sony wasn't trying to create a neutral headphone, they were trying to create a headphone that would maximize enjoyment of music (they succeeded).

Jul 31, 2002 at 6:48 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
andrzejpw
H With my supreme amp I could only listen to my cd deck which ment I have to keep buying cds. For me the 580s and equniox are the very best sound that I ever heard or owned.

If your receiver has Pre-outs, you should be able to connect your headphone amp to those and listen to all your sources through the headphone amp and perhaps get the best of both worlds.

Jul 31, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #24 of 43
There is no such thing as neutral when it comes to musical reproduction. There are too many components, steps and variables that music goes through from the time it is performed to the time it reaches your ears through your headphones. Consider the following:

1. The microphone used to record the music
2. Equipment/tape used to record it
3. Technique used to record it
4. Equipment used to mix it
5. Technique used to mix it
6. Limitations of the master tape
7. Limitations of the mixed tape
8. Limitations of the pressed CD
9. Your CD player
10. Cables connecting your CD player to your amp
11. Your amp
12. Headphone cables
13. Headphones

When you consider that each of these components adds its own characteristic to the original recording, it's a wonder that what we hear resembles music in any way, shape or form. In fact, it's probably just a cheap immitation of the original recording session. So, I wouldn't worry about whether or not your headphones are neutral or if you just like that particular coloration. If your headphones were completely neutral, all you'd hear is the coloration of the all the equipment and processes that were used to produce the recording.

Jul 31, 2002 at 11:34 AM Post #26 of 43
tHe Etymotic is the only dynamic headphone I've heard that makes an attempt at being neutral. Nothing is or will ever be perfect in this regard. The 600s/580s certainly don't qualify.

Jul 31, 2002 at 11:38 AM Post #27 of 43
bifcake
HI: I guess my srereo amp has pre out. There are a lot of stuff in the back of it but my srereo receiver jack just sounds better. When I used the supreme it was about 5 ft. from me and I had to get up to ajust the volume now with my stereo receiver I have remote control. Plus I have a choice of about 30 different sound modes on the stereo amp. To bad they dont make the decated amp with remote controll. Now The supreme cost 450.00 and My stereo receiver cost 400.00 and does a lot more than the supreme in many areas and has a great headphone jack out put. The sound on the supreme was more detail by a little but the sound on my stereo receiver is a better sound stage and just sounds better in most areas. The volume on the supreme was at 1 oclock on my stereo receiver it is at 10 oclock. My stereo receiver jack out put has way more power than the supreme and I am just happy with it. Now I am working on getting a meta42 to use my 580s in portable mode. I now use the koss-35 that sound great with the total airhead but I would rather use my fantastic 580s for all my listening both portable and main.

Jul 31, 2002 at 12:06 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

It goes deeper than just hearing. It goes to a matter of what we prefer, and what lets us enjoy music

Music? What's that??
confused.gif

biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 1:13 PM Post #29 of 43
Bifcake,

Not to mention every resistor, cap, etc... You would be amazed at the difference that can be achieved sometimes.

andrzejpw,

Your right about becoming used to or conditioned to a particular sound but usually we are listening to that sound for a reason, to use a1leyez0nm3's analogy, it floated your boat in the first place.
biggrin.gif
If they continue to float your boat then other cans will probably not sound as good unless they have similar qualities. If you put the 580's in a drawer and bought a pair of Grado's (assuming you don't overly like the sound) you may get used to them over time but they could just as easily not suit your basic tastes or ear and continue to drive you nuts, it's a bit of a crap shoot at that point. Ain't psychoacoustics wonderful!

I think most times when we critically listen to our equipment we're trying to find that "perfect" sound and usually have to settle for set of compromises. Those compromises may be addressed in something new but the new piece usually adds another set of compromises. This I think is why we can listen to something and initially think it's amazing but after extended use we start to notice things and you either learn to live with it or move on to something else. If you've found a set of compromises that you can live with stick with it and start tweakin.
biggrin.gif

I don't know if that made any sense whatsoever, oh well.

Phil

Jul 31, 2002 at 1:57 PM Post #30 of 43
Phil
What you said makes a lot of sense. I like my cans so much that upgrading ant in the near or far future. I think once someone get to this point that they need look no further for new cans. Now I know that there are better sounding cans out there but why spend the money when I am so happy with what I got. If they are flat or colored I dont care because I really like the sound of them. I think that upgrading can get out of hand and esspecially here where we read about the new and wounderfull cans that just came out or the ones that other members really like makes it tempting to upgrad if it really is an upgrade. I think a draw full of headphones ant for me but if you want to spent the money ok its good for that person. I think that the luckey ones have what they really like and need no other can. Now for source and amps well more money please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back