Arctic Cables Discussion Thread
Aug 4, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #62 of 924
I wanted to post a quick update to my previous postings on this page. I have since expanded my headphone collection with additional cables from Arctic Cables as I am continually impressed with their quality and workmanship!
I have just ordered a Cardas High-End Ultra Pure Copper Litz Cable for my Sony Mdr-Z1R's after communicating wiht Roy from Arctic cables who took the time to help me choose the correct cable to match my headphone and listening preferences as well as took the time to explain all of the options available to me. Truly sets the standard for customer service!
That said, I am looking forward to making a direct comparison between my current AC Mogami W2534 OFC and the AC Cardas UPOCC cable. I will share my thoughts and pictures when the new cable arrives!!!

In the meantime, here is a picture of my current AC cables. Each are spec'd the same, 5 ft. of Mogami W2534 OFC terminated with 4-pin XLR balanced connectors for my Sony MDR Z1R, Audioquest Nighthawks (my top two favorite cans right now), Audeze LCD-X, Monoprice M1060\Hifiman HE4XX (same cable), and the Sennheiser HD6XX,

The most important thing I'd like to point out is how much more flexible the new manufacturing process is for these cables... the original version is purple and as you can see that is as tight as i can get it - the other 4 make a much tighter loop. Like i said before, this process that Roy started with all of his cables just made great cable, awesome!

Hey, sorry for replying for the year old thread...Why did you pick out the Cardas High-End Ultra Pure Copper Litz Cable for your Sony Mdr-Z1R than the others? How did you like it? I am looking to have a cable done by them too for my mdr z1r and wondering which one should I choose...Thank you :)

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #64 of 924
Hey guys,

Just bought ANOTHER cable from Arctic Cable. It is a 16-core Mogami cable for the Focal Clear, etc. I had a 4-core and 8-core and both were improvements on the other, so I splurged and got a 16-core, which is far better than the previous 2. The thicker wire makes all the difference in the sound. The synergy between the Mogami cable and these headphones is amazing. I highly recommend these if you have the Focal headphones. In a nutshell, the midrange opened up, the bass is now more present, and the soundstage improved immensely from either the 4 or the 8-core. There is also more detail than before.

The workmanship on these cables is IMPECCABLE and I know I will enjoy these for years to come. The cable is remarkably thin for 16 cores and is light as well.

Roy's customer service was impeccable-- he responds quickly and delivered the product to my door well-before it was promised AND for a great price. Highly recommended. You can find him on the ebay Arctic Cables store.

thumbnail_Image-53.png

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #65 of 924
I have been using the cable for 2 days now and all I can say is wow. It isn't heavy, as you would expect from how much wire there is in it, thanks to them stripping off the outer jacket of the cable. It is very comfortable, and I don't really notice the extra weight at all; however, I do notice the improved sound quality over the thinner cables I had previously. I don't know of any company that offers cables of this gauge for anywhere close to this price. They make it affordable to be an audiophile, while providing products of impeccable quality and excellent customer service.

Aug 22, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #66 of 924
Does anyone have a comparison to Oyaide Cables? They are also made in Japan.

Oh, and what about short 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnect cables from the DAP to a portable amp ... any suggestions?
Ive got a VorzAMP and this would be logic to buy from them: http://vorzuge.com/product/oyaide-audio-cable-and-connector/?currency=EUR
but I don't know if its really worth it because I already have the so called "Vorzkabel" which comes as standard from them ... would love to hear what you guys can say about this Oyaide cables and if you think they are in the same ballpark as the neotech products.

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #69 of 924
Hi, I'm another new member. I recently got a pretty stupid good deal on the Meze 99NEO Headphones and went to Arctic Cables for their new Cardas cable for the Meze. The headphones with the Arctic Cardas Cable is better than I could have hoped for. For under $500 total, this headphone system sounds amazing. There's no noise, no distortion, only pure clean great sound with amazing soundstage and imaging. I would recommend this combination to anyone. I'm going to try to include some pics. I also have the same Cardas cable on order for my Sennheiser HD 600's.. can't wait!

AF1QipNgNUy2fSbicp_vvo5Jeh0wTjBN1U7dSemZyKJ2
AF1QipMOKgHwLlJp_Zjh8kye-TwdkIerentcL9MU75hB
AF1QipPMjVeyqQJjUarS_s7Z4shxpMSYYtO_1Ife11_h
AF1QipMmDQd3JNgcxyfNzJ0ol0VMJ9-wmUIE6BeNDw74

Sep 28, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #71 of 924
Anyone knows how Arctic Cables compare to Norne?

Their pricing differences reflect the difference in materials, design, & construction. Arctic makes a nice relatively inexpensive cable that you will be satisfied with. Norne makes a cable you will be proud to own. They both make a quality product. Norne is just higher quality.

Sep 30, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #72 of 924
Anyone knows how Arctic Cables compare to Norne?

I have several cables from both, and I feel the opposite.
Perhaps Norne cables look nicer, but in terms of sound, I prefer the Arctic cables. The braided cable I have from them also seems to be of higher quality than the one I have from Norne, but it was more expensive as well. Overall you probably can't go wrong with either.

Sep 30, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #73 of 924
Have had both and much prefer Norne. Best sound and the most professionally packaged cables, plus resale value is much better with Norne too.

Oct 20, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #75 of 924
Does anyone know what gauge the arctic cables have? @teknorob23 mentioned that the gauge is very important. So are they 24AWG or 22AWG or 21? The lower the better I guess?

@teknorob23 is a 21AWG cable 4 braid better then, let’s say, a 26AWG 8 braid?

I'm not sure on their exact spec, but would suspect they'll let you customise the cable they use.

to answer your 2nd question, the figure you're interested in is the total gauge of all the cores added, so if its 8 x 24awg cores, thats more metal in total than 4 x 24awg. Anything 24awg or larger in a 4 core with silver will be, or 26awg in 8 core will be fine. Personally i've found the sweet spot for sound quality while retaining decent ergonomics is 22awg multistrand in a 4 core or if you want an end game cable then an 8 core, but the latter does start getting pricey. But yes the lower number is heavier gauge and will be better, but get beyond 22 or 20 depending on the strand count and it will become a bit unwieldy. I hope that makes some sense :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back