Arctic Cables Discussion Thread
Apr 8, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #31 of 905
For all your audiophile cable needs, I can heartily recommend Artic Cables store on eBay.

Long story short: Back when the SONY Z1R were my main listening headphones, I followed some recommendations here on Head-Fi to improve the sound and purchased the white Arctic Cables Neotech SONY MDR-Z1R MDR-Z7 8 Core Litz 19AWG UPOCC High-End Cable in white and indeed, there was a marked difference between the unbalanced stock SONY cables and the balanced new Artic Cables-- for the better. Some on the Z1R thread said night and day!

Since I decided to let go of the Z1R after getting the Audeze MX4, I figured I'd ask if the cable could get rewired as I'd have no use for it otherwise. Roy from Artic Cables kindly rewired and rehoused the cable free of charge and I believe he even upgraded it to their latest cable specifications. So, about a year removed from my initial purchase, I found myself with a brand new cable in black!

20190317_120903_c.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARCTIC-CAB...hash=item215795b65c:m:mdxcsDLo5lh7B_SY0dIZu5Q

Things have been hectic on my end, so my listening time has been cut short these past weeks, and on top of it, I'm yet to take the plunge on a new DAC to replace the Oppo HA-1 I sold. But even listening on the "lowly" Nuforce HDP DAC hooked to my SPL Phonitor 2 amp, it became clear after some burning in that the cables were a noticeable upgrade over the Audeze stock cable.

Just as had happened with the Z1Rs, it almost felt as if a veil had been lifted from the MX4, the sound opened up and the sound is improved across all metrics-- more dynamic, more articulate, more details and resolution across frequencies, wider soundstage and more precise imaging, bass is tighter and cleaner, and better transient response…

20190317_120504_c.jpg

Will report back when I get a new DAC and can have a truly balanced setup. That said, if you're on the lookout for a new audiophile-grade cable, don't hesitate to check out the Artic Cables eBay store--

https://www.ebay.com/str/arcticcables

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #33 of 905
I bought this cable specifically because of the posted picture by Head-Fier MParrott (thanks MParrott). ArcticCables are totally bling — gorgeously crafted. Tell them your gear and the sound signature you seek; they are helpful. Then choose core type, length, connectors, color, and splitter type. Affordable prices too. Just add music.
7635D866-421E-48BB-85C8-232F940A83CD.jpeg
7635D866-421E-48BB-85C8-232F940A83CD.jpeg

Apr 13, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #34 of 905
Anyone here who can relate to having used Dyson cables? Been looking to get a UPOCC cable and both makers seem fine for me. But if this one is more reliable I don't mind the little cost increase.

Apr 14, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #35 of 905
IMO, Arctic Cables is one of the best reasonably priced headphone cable alternatives out there.
I purchase Arctic Cables for all of my headphones, they look and sound great.
Of course AC is a great ebay seller to deal with and they stand behind their products.
thanks, dennis

Apr 19, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #36 of 905
I purchased these for my Focal Clear headphones. They are the UP-OCC 8- core Neotech wire. The build quality is flawless-- fantastic quality! It sounds a bit different than the Mogami 2534 cable that I purchased from them previously. This cable is a bit more smooth and a bit more laid back. The Mogami was very much neutral. The Neotech cable is good for headphones that need a bit of taming in the highs. I would do business with them again. Their customer service is very responsive and their products are extremely high quality.
IMG_2135[1].JPG

Apr 25, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #38 of 905
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-25 at 22.38.45.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-04-25 at 22.38.45(1).jpeg

Ordered one of the first UP-OCC pure silver 26-awg 7N purity type-6 litz AC made for my MrSpeakers headphone.

First of all it's one of the best looking cables I've ever seen in my life, it's absolutely gorgeous!

Sound wise it's just as impressive, the biggest change I've heard coming from an aftermarket cable.
The amount of extra details I'm getting from my Aeon's had left me speechless. The soundstage also increased significantly and the mids feels more vivid and fuller, bass feels better extended as well.

This cable is not cheap, and I asked Roy to give me all the information he could about this particular cable, and kindly and patiently Roy explained everything I wanted to know, which gave me the confidence to buy this expensive cable from them.

And BOY i'm so glad I did.. I had some cheaper "silver OCC" cables before, but now I know for a fact how a real silver UPOCC looks and sounds like, and it's nothing like I had before.
With that level of craftmanship, customer service, and the fact that Roy promised to reterminate the cable to a different headphone if I ever needed to in the future basically for free, (which is AMAZING), I don't think I would ever look elsewhere for my aftermarket cable needs!

Jacob

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #39 of 905

Ordered one of the first UP-OCC pure silver 26-awg 7N purity type-6 litz AC made for my MrSpeakers headphone.

First of all it's one of the best looking cables I've ever seen in my life, it's absolutely gorgeous!

Sound wise it's just as impressive, the biggest change I've heard coming from an aftermarket cable.
The amount of extra details I'm getting from my Aeon's had left me speechless. The soundstage also increased significantly and the mids feels more vivid and fuller, bass feels better extended as well.

This cable is not cheap, and I asked Roy to give me all the information he could about this particular cable, and kindly and patiently Roy explained everything I wanted to know, which gave me the confidence to buy this expensive cable from them.

And BOY i'm so glad I did.. I had some cheaper "silver OCC" cables before, but now I know for a fact how a real silver UPOCC looks and sounds like, and it's nothing like I had before.
With that level of craftmanship, customer service, and the fact that Roy promised to reterminate the cable to a different headphone if I ever needed to in the future basically for free, (which is AMAZING), I don't think I would ever look elsewhere for my aftermarket cable needs!

Jacob
Those are really nice cables. I just checked his eBay store and the cost of these is more than the Norne Silvergarde S3 Clear. How would the Arctic compare to them?

Apr 25, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #40 of 905
Those are really nice cables. I just checked his eBay store and the cost of these is more than the Norne Silvergarde S3 Clear. How would the Arctic compare to them?

Thanks Mixman, regarding your Q? can't say... But actually, from what I see that S3 cable is a 4-core and also cost about $100 more.

The cable I have is an 8-core not 4-core, so I imagine that an 8-core would be far more expensive. Although mine is 26-awg and the S3 is 20-awg so it's thicker.

THX
Jacob.

Apr 25, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #41 of 905
Thanks Mixman, regarding your Q? can't say... But actually, from what I see that S3 cable is a 4-core and also cost about $100 more.

The cable I have is an 8-core not 4-core, so I imagine that an 8-core would be far more expensive. Although mine is 26-awg and the S3 is 20-awg so it's thicker.

THX
Jacob.

Thanks for your response. What is Arctic charging for this cable?

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #43 of 905
How long is the typical wait for these cables? On ebay that say "Our lead time is usually 5~12 business days" but it's looking like it'll be about a month from order to delivery for me.

I've ordered two cables from this seller and it took 4-5 weeks each time. I'm located in Canada so maybe shorter time frames can be expected within the USA. Both were well worth the wait though...

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #44 of 905
I've ordered two cables from this seller and it took 4-5 weeks each time. I'm located in Canada so maybe shorter time frames can be expected within the USA. Both were well worth the wait though...

It took about 3 weeks for me to get them, but they are all worth the wait. Roy is a great guy to deal with. He is a responsive seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back