Arctic Cables Discussion Thread
Mar 9, 2018 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 906

interweb-tech

1000+ Head-Fier
9937255_l.jpg

eBay seller (arcticcables) I purchased new cable for my Fostex TH-X00. I ordered the dual 2.5mm variety. They have several options including Balanced XLR. Excellent build quality with nice thick cable. Little on the stiff side but also doesn't get a mind of its own and start doing weird loops on your desk like some more flexible cables do. The paracord is a nice complex weave available in several colors. I ordered with the purple color sleeve.

Cable spec as ordered: Connector(s) A: 6.35 mm (1/4") Jack Male, Cable Length: 2M 6.5FT, Model: Klotz SQ422Y. They provide comprehensive details of all the cable options as well as the specs for each option. Rather than repeating all that here I encourage you to check them out.

The cable sounds great with my Purplehearts. I haven't tried any other of my collection yet but expect they will sound great too. As for pricing, they come in at the upper range of what I am willing to pay for a cable ($90). I feel they are worth the price.

Other cables owned: Ursine (still waiting), Periapt (best up to this point), no-name Chinese stuff (some good, most crap) & a couple other eBay sellers.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 906
9937256_l.jpg

Mar 12, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 906
delete

Attachments

• 20180312_190014.jpg
    20180312_190014.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180312_190011.jpg
    20180312_190011.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 906
I've purchased 3 sets of cables from Arctic Cables on Ebay and have had excellent experience every time. Extremely detailed and meticulous work with great attention to detail. Obviously reasonable pricing does not hurt either.

My last purchase was for my ZMF Auteuer, they made me cables from Cardas 4x24 and its my favorite cable so far, extremely detailed and clean sound and just as importantly an easy cable to manage.

Does not tangle and even for such a long cable, does not overly weight down the headphone, top notch connectors used and i love their unlimited warranty, for eg. if a connector ever comes loose or whatever, they will take care of it.20180408_100603.jpg 20180408_100610.jpg 20180408_110306.jpg 20180408_110441.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 906
I just completed my third order of custom balanced cables from Arctic Cables on Ebay and wanted to share my opinion of their custom cables with the Head-Fi community.
  1. I liked the options provided during the ordering process - from choices of wire manufacturer, to connection types, and to the colors available for cable sleeves.
  2. Their follow-up and communications after placing the order has been exemplary.
  3. Manufacturing and shipping times with each order has exceeded their estimates.
  4. The quality of cables can be seen and felt in the hand.
  5. The performance of the cables exceeds my expectations.
Here are images of the first 2 cable sets that I purchased an received:

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 906
I just completed my third order of custom balanced cables from Arctic Cables on Ebay and wanted to share my opinion of their custom cables with the Head-Fi community.
  1. I liked the options provided during the ordering process - from choices of wire manufacturer, to connection types, and to the colors available for cable sleeves.
  2. Their follow-up and communications after placing the order has been exemplary.
  3. Manufacturing and shipping times with each order has exceeded their estimates.
  4. The quality of cables can be seen and felt in the hand.
  5. The performance of the cables exceeds my expectations.
Here are images of the first 2 cable sets that I purchased an received:

The black cable looks a lot more flexible than the purple. Can you share what specs you ordered for each? I have one like your purple and my only complaint is it can be a bit stiff.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 906
The black cable looks a lot more flexible than the purple. Can you share what specs you ordered for each? I have one like your purple and my only complaint is it can be a bit stiff.
Hello interweb-tech,

I too prefer the more flexible cable and believe it or not both of the cables are spec'd exactly the same with 1.5M/5FT of Mogami W2534 cable and terminated with a 4-pin XLR balanced connector. The difference is that Arctic Cables has improved their manufacturing process to provide the same benefits of the star-quad wires while providing a much more flexible design. Basically, the purple one pictured is their old version, versus their new version of cable manufacturing pictured in the all black cable.

Specifically, I reached out to Roy T. with Arctic Cables asking that exact same question and this was his response, verbatim:

Your latest purchased cable is in fact our newly designed OFC cable.

It is indeed the exact same wire, but we redesign it by stripping 3-5 layers from it (depends on the wire type) , and reapply 2-3 thinner layers..

For that reason now our OFC cables are much more flexible and more comfortable.

Important fact is that we're not damaging the star-quad wires configuration, so the benefits of star-quad cables remains the same.
All of that said, this new process has made an already great cable into an awesome cable - like you said the old version was stiff but this new design is as close to perfect as i think they can get!

Let me know if you have any other concerns or thoughts!

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #10 of 906
I've ordered a new cable at Arctic cable cause I enjoy the cable for my Edition X v2 that much. The only downside I had with that cable was the thickness and stiffness. Roy said the neotech cable is super flexible and lot less thick and boy is he right!
I ordered a 3m neotech up-occ cable for my HD800S.
IMG_20180630_140636.jpg
The quality of this cable is outstanding! It's by far the best audio cable I have had ever. The sleeving is thight and has nice luxury colour (which you cannot chose).
IMG_20180630_140716.jpg
The cable is super thin. In terms of music quality it's a step up from the stock cable. More clarity , more musicality.
IMG_20180630_140646.jpg
All in all I am happy with my cable, so happy with the neotech cable that I promptly ordered a new cable for my other headphone: the beyerdynamic T5p.

Attachments

• IMG_20180630_140745.jpg
    IMG_20180630_140745.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jul 7, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 906
I wanted to post a quick update to my previous postings on this page. I have since expanded my headphone collection with additional cables from Arctic Cables as I am continually impressed with their quality and workmanship!
I have just ordered a Cardas High-End Ultra Pure Copper Litz Cable for my Sony Mdr-Z1R's after communicating wiht Roy from Arctic cables who took the time to help me choose the correct cable to match my headphone and listening preferences as well as took the time to explain all of the options available to me. Truly sets the standard for customer service!
That said, I am looking forward to making a direct comparison between my current AC Mogami W2534 OFC and the AC Cardas UPOCC cable. I will share my thoughts and pictures when the new cable arrives!!!

In the meantime, here is a picture of my current AC cables. Each are spec'd the same, 5 ft. of Mogami W2534 OFC terminated with 4-pin XLR balanced connectors for my Sony MDR Z1R, Audioquest Nighthawks (my top two favorite cans right now), Audeze LCD-X, Monoprice M1060\Hifiman HE4XX (same cable), and the Sennheiser HD6XX,

The most important thing I'd like to point out is how much more flexible the new manufacturing process is for these cables... the original version is purple and as you can see that is as tight as i can get it - the other 4 make a much tighter loop. Like i said before, this process that Roy started with all of his cables just made great cable, awesome!

IMG_20180707_185907.jpg

Aug 25, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #12 of 906
image.jpg

Love mine so much I have two and one on the way. Very helpful seller! I highly recommend working with Arctic Cables.

Very sturdy and much better looking than the stock wires. Sound great too.

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #13 of 906
I've ordered a new cable at Arctic cable cause I enjoy the cable for my Edition X v2 that much. The only downside I had with that cable was the thickness and stiffness. Roy said the neotech cable is super flexible and lot less thick and boy is he right!
I ordered a 3m neotech up-occ cable for my HD800S.

The quality of this cable is outstanding! It's by far the best audio cable I have had ever. The sleeving is thight and has nice luxury colour (which you cannot chose).

The cable is super thin. In terms of music quality it's a step up from the stock cable. More clarity , more musicality.

All in all I am happy with my cable, so happy with the neotech cable that I promptly ordered a new cable for my other headphone: the beyerdynamic T5p.
I too ordered a UPOCC 3 meter cable for my Sennheiser HD800S. I also have a 3 meter UPOCC cable from ArcticCables for my Audeze LCD-2 headphones. I loved these so much that I ordered the cable for the HD800S.

The new versions I have are very thin and flexible, with a fabric covering. The sound is excellent. The stock Sennheiser XLR cable is quite good. . . this cable makes the sound even more involving. I don't have a camera to take photos, but I'm very happy with the ArcticCables products AND service and would recommend them strongly.

Sep 26, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 906
Hi! Everyone:

I also have Arctic Cables for my Hifiman HE400i & my Monoprice 1060.

Mine is Mogami core, 10 feet, Balanced XLR and I selected RED color for the cable. In addition, I also purchased the XLR to ¼ plug.
s-l1600.jpg

First, I have to say the cable is made with excellent craftsmanship. It looks beautiful like a piece of artwork.

My testing source is the new and highly regarded Topping XL7s Balanced DAC/Amplifier with Harman Kardon multi-media player and/or Onkyo CD player.

The connectors of the Arctic Cable are all high quality with proper assembling. The cable itself is thick and sits soft & well-behaved!

Now, the sound, the most critical part why we spend extra cash for these beautiful cables. It sounds GREAT with both of my Hifiman HE-400i & Monoprice 1060.

First, with the 10 feet of length, I can be more mobile with these large headphones on my head. Also, my HE-400i sounds cleaner with more separation and wider sound stage and better imaging on the Arctic Cable than the original. I am sure the high quality XLR balance plug and the Mogami core both have significant contribution to this pleasant outcome.
s-l1600.jpg

The Monoprice 1060 also sounds different with this arctic cable. The original Monoprice cable was OK but sounds dry and restricted. This Arctic Cable cleans up the overly booming bass and brighten up the treble. The earcup connectors from Arctic Cable are so well-made, I enjoy looking at the plugged Monoprice 1060 with bright red thick cable.

For these photos, I did my best to show the important details of this excellent Arctic Cable. Please also see how nice the XLR to 1/4 plug extension is. It allows me to use this cable both with balanced and unbalanced sources.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #15 of 906
Hi! I am a new member and just post my first discussion here after my introduction.
I am not sure if my photos are correctly posted in the above posting. I can see those photos from my computer but not sure if they are posted successfully?
Could someone kindly check and let me know in case I need to re-do the photos.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back