Arctic Cables Discussion Thread
Jun 17, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #121 of 908
Because wire count for 1.5 meters should not play a big role. The used metal on the other hand does. Silver is the best conductor. That’s why I would go for the Signum.
Yeah, ok. I was chewing this over with someone this morning (and bearing in mind I'm not even slightly tech-headed). Certainly I understand your point about cable length. What I was wondering this morning is whether for hi-res music (24-176), more copper (i.e. 8 wire) would have a better capability for carrying the sound than less silver (4 wire). Maybe that's a question for Roy too.

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #122 of 908
Yeah, ok. I was chewing this over with someone this morning (and bearing in mind I'm not even slightly tech-headed). Certainly I understand your point about cable length. What I was wondering this morning is whether for hi-res music (24-176), more copper (i.e. 8 wire) would have a better capability for carrying the sound than less silver (4 wire). Maybe that's a question for Roy too.
My answer, again, is: No. Silver will always be better, no matter if high-res music or not. It is about electricity. Electric signals don't care if high res or not :wink: BUT I am not an expert, either, so please just ask Roy, he always helped me so much with every question I asked him. He will help you and find the best solution for your needs. Just give him a day or two to respond.

Jun 27, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #123 of 908
i've had an silver Arctic Cable for quite some time now, so am comfortable with writing this post.

It is most definitely my favourite cable with the Utopia. i enjoy it the AC cable with the Utopia more than the Danacable Lazuli Reference and Moon Audio Black Dragon (both terminated for Utopia). i've also used ultrashort adaptors with cables from Norne (Silvergarde S3), JPS Labs (Superconductor) and PlusSound (X8 gold plated silver). The Utopia is such a fast and resolving headphone, but so far i found only the AC plays to that strength. I felt the other cables listed above (aside from the Black Dragon) seemed to dull out the upper registry, rounding off the top end just a bit too much.

There is this amazing clarity and transparency with the AC cable. the leading edge to notes is so clean, making vocals so crisp and clear. i also thought it was the most holographic with amazing 3d placement of elements in the music. it also had by far the best soundstage width, both laterally and in depth. Even with busy passages and songs with lots of instruments playing, there is really really good separation and just crazy pinpoint placing. In the lower registry, low end extension and texture were great, and there was fantastic punchiness and impact. The utopia is definitely not lacking in bass!

i've done countless quick a/b comparisons with this cable and my other cables and it really is no contest. not to say that the other cables are not good, just that they sounded better with other headphones. for eg, i preferred the JPS Superconductor with the Abyss 1266 (naturally) and the PlusSound X8 with the Verite Closed. The AC cable simply plays extremely well with the Utopia. Quite honestly, i'm done with a cable search for these headphones.

i have absolutely no complaints with the sound that i get with this cable. if i had any gripes, it would be with the construction; these are minor but i figure i might as well list them out. i would have preferred a heatshrink/sleeve over the furutech spring extension. the braids in the cable could have been tighter and more even. and lastly, the L and R markings on the headphone end are not lined up with the red dot on the utopia lemo connectors. the other cables i listed above all edge out the AC cable construction wise, but then again, it really is the sound that matters in the end.

if you have the Utopia, the AC cable is really really worth a try!

Great review. V useful.
Can you please elaborate which series cable are you using from AC ?

Jun 28, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #124 of 908
Great review. V useful.
Can you please elaborate which series cable are you using from AC ?

I'm using his Silver series cable, which I think he has renamed Signum+.

Jun 28, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #126 of 908
Jul 10, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #128 of 908
Hi All

I ordered the signum+ with Val (name in the emails) thanks to @Roasty 's advice /views/impressions/spruiking

Getting the main cable for my utopia with adapters for hekse and empyrean/auteur.

May be a few weeks away as was told they are waiting for connectors

Will post impressions here - including comparing with the norne audio cables I usually use that I have been happy with in the past (and still am)

Jul 11, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #129 of 908
Hi All

I ordered the signum+ with Val (name in the emails) thanks to @Roasty 's advice /views/impressions/spruiking

Getting the main cable for my utopia with adapters for hekse and empyrean/auteur.

May be a few weeks away as was told they are waiting for connectors

Will post impressions here - including comparing with the norne audio cables I usually use that I have been happy with in the past (and still am)

The wait should be worth it! Looking forward to your impressions and to see if they're similar to mine.

I got in touch with them to help make some adaptors and yea, they had to order some connectors in..

Was mulling over their palladium line but geez the price..

Jul 12, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #130 of 908
The wait should be worth it! Looking forward to your impressions and to see if they're similar to mine.

I got in touch with them to help make some adaptors and yea, they had to order some connectors in..

My palladium was shipped to the EU one month ago. *** Corona!!! :wink: I will post a review when they arrive and I have tested them (probably in a year) 😱

Jul 12, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #133 of 908
If he knew how much the cable cost, he would probably do it, yeah :)
i had a pair of tubes that i ordered go missing once I paid about $230 or so (usd) and it came back to the postie marking them as delivered but they never were He later said he actually left them at the post office....who never saw them.

i always wonder if the postie had his own audio set up From memory they were a pair of british 6dj8 Equivalents

Jul 12, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #134 of 908
i had a pair of tubes that i ordered go missing once I paid about $230 or so (usd) and it came back to the postie marking them as delivered but they never were He later said he actually left them at the post office....who never saw them.

i always wonder if the postie had his own audio set up From memory they were a pair of british 6dj8 Equivalents
Well, I think I will drink tee and wait and see :wink:

in fact those pics you see on the arctic cable website is my Stellia palladium cable, so at least I have a picture I can see once a day to remind me there is something on the way :)

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #135 of 908

What adpaters/headphones? And for the signum+?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back