Arctic Cables Discussion Thread
Jul 18, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #136 of 903
Someone seems to like holding my silver arctic cable while sleeping :wink:
75C7F234-ABA8-4AF6-9579-4EC26BA4A4A2.jpeg

Jul 25, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #137 of 903
i've had an silver Arctic Cable for quite some time now, so am comfortable with writing this post.

It is most definitely my favourite cable with the Utopia. i enjoy it the AC cable with the Utopia more than the Danacable Lazuli Reference and Moon Audio Black Dragon (both terminated for Utopia). i've also used ultrashort adaptors with cables from Norne (Silvergarde S3), JPS Labs (Superconductor) and PlusSound (X8 gold plated silver). The Utopia is such a fast and resolving headphone, but so far i found only the AC plays to that strength. I felt the other cables listed above (aside from the Black Dragon) seemed to dull out the upper registry, rounding off the top end just a bit too much.

There is this amazing clarity and transparency with the AC cable. the leading edge to notes is so clean, making vocals so crisp and clear. i also thought it was the most holographic with amazing 3d placement of elements in the music. it also had by far the best soundstage width, both laterally and in depth. Even with busy passages and songs with lots of instruments playing, there is really really good separation and just crazy pinpoint placing. In the lower registry, low end extension and texture were great, and there was fantastic punchiness and impact. The utopia is definitely not lacking in bass!

i've done countless quick a/b comparisons with this cable and my other cables and it really is no contest. not to say that the other cables are not good, just that they sounded better with other headphones. for eg, i preferred the JPS Superconductor with the Abyss 1266 (naturally) and the PlusSound X8 with the Verite Closed. The AC cable simply plays extremely well with the Utopia. Quite honestly, i'm done with a cable search for these headphones.

i have absolutely no complaints with the sound that i get with this cable. if i had any gripes, it would be with the construction; these are minor but i figure i might as well list them out. i would have preferred a heatshrink/sleeve over the furutech spring extension. the braids in the cable could have been tighter and more even. and lastly, the L and R markings on the headphone end are not lined up with the red dot on the utopia lemo connectors. the other cables i listed above all edge out the AC cable construction wise, but then again, it really is the sound that matters in the end.

if you have the Utopia, the AC cable is really really worth a try!
I absolutely concur with your comments which also apply to the Arctic Palladium Series. I have been using a two-metre palladium-plated silver cable from AC with Audeze LCD-X, Audeze LCD-4z, and Meze Empyrean (spreading the cost over 3 headphones since they all take mini-XLRs). The AC PS is breath-taking in its absence of sound quality, to my ears. The immediacy and transparency of the music are as though the headphones are directly connected to the headphone amplifier output stages. Like you, thankfully, my quest / experimentation is over. Now to save up for another set for Rosson Audio RAD-0...MUSIC SYSTEM JUL 2020.JPG

Jul 26, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #138 of 903
I absolutely concur with your comments which also apply to the Arctic Palladium Series. I have been using a two-metre palladium-plated silver cable from AC with Audeze LCD-X, Audeze LCD-4z, and Meze Empyrean (spreading the cost over 3 headphones since they all take mini-XLRs). The AC PS is breath-taking in its absence of sound quality, to my ears. The immediacy and transparency of the music are as though the headphones are directly connected to the headphone amplifier output stages. Like you, thankfully, my quest / experimentation is over. Now to save up for another set for Rosson Audio RAD-0...
And I thought I will be the first one to share impressions of the new Silver/Palladium cable. But my cable is on the way since over 2 months now!!! Thank you Corona 😡

Jul 26, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #139 of 903
I absolutely concur with your comments which also apply to the Arctic Palladium Series. I have been using a two-metre palladium-plated silver cable from AC with Audeze LCD-X, Audeze LCD-4z, and Meze Empyrean (spreading the cost over 3 headphones since they all take mini-XLRs). The AC PS is breath-taking in its absence of sound quality, to my ears. The immediacy and transparency of the music are as though the headphones are directly connected to the headphone amplifier output stages. Like you, thankfully, my quest / experimentation is over. Now to save up for another set for Rosson Audio RAD-0...MUSIC SYSTEM JUL 2020.JPG
I use the same Furman power conditioner. What are your thoughts? Like it?
I just bought some silver cables from audio sensibility in canada for my empys/lcd 4s because, like you, they share the same connector, just to try out some silver cables to hear if there is a difference.

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #140 of 903
I use the same Furman power conditioner. What are your thoughts? Like it?
I just bought some silver cables from audio sensibility in canada for my empys/lcd 4s because, like you, they share the same connector, just to try out some silver cables to hear if there is a difference.
I think the Furman makes a big difference: it lowers the noise floor and I would guess eases the “workload” for component power supplies (internal & external). The Furman was designed by the fellow who designed the Niagara series for AudioQuest. From what I’ve read, silver is a better conductor that copper (6N etc).

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #142 of 903
Just thought I’d ask: people here talk about dealing with Roy. My emails have been with Val

i hope Val works there too? Any one know how many people are there and if they have dealt with Val too? (Or have i sent my emails and paypal money to someone i should not have)

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #143 of 903
Just thought I’d ask: people here talk about dealing with Roy. My emails have been with Val

i hope Val works there too? Any one know how many people are there and if they have dealt with Val too? (Or have i sent my emails and paypal money to someone i should not have)

Both Roy and Val work there. I communicate with both via the same email and it's all good.

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #144 of 903
Both Roy and Val work there. I communicate with both via the same email and it's all good.
Thanks - i thought that would be the case but thanks for confirming

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #146 of 903
Jul 31, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #147 of 903
Is this the platinum? How do you find its sound?
Yes it is the palladium, it is burn in phase ,will give at least 200 hours before proper listening but after the initial hours yesterday i like the instrument separation & clarity (specially detail tunes left & right) ,I did not wanted to take off my headphones to sleep,so yeah it has something magical to keep u excited :) ,will update as I listen more after work

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #148 of 903
So my impressions with artic cables has been a bit mixed, but the important parts have been good. I had emailed them a couple months ago looking for a cable recommendation, giving my gear and budget. I didn't hear back. Covid delayed my ability to purchase for a couple months, so I didnt try emailing the same question until earlier this month. This time they responded within a couple days, recommending the prisma series for my hd800. I purchased a 10 foot XLR prisma series cable, which cost a very reasonable $315 (reasonable for hd800 cables, that is!)

I got an order confirmation, but there was nowhere to check order status, so after about 8 business days I sent an email asking if there was anywhere on the web site I could check. I didn't get a reply again, however a few days later I did get an automated tracking email saying that a tracking number had been created. The cable arrived today, and the build quality is quite good.

So overall I'm pretty happy. The cable arrived quickly, and the build time was very good. The quality of the cable is also top notch. Right now I'm going to let it burn in a week or more before giving true sonic impressions.

Aug 2, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #149 of 903
I purchased a 10 foot XLR prisma series cable, which cost a very reasonable $315 (reasonable for hd800 cables, that is!)

So overall I'm pretty happy. The cable arrived quickly, and the build time was very good. The quality of the cable is also top notch. Right now I'm going to let it burn in a week or more before giving true sonic impressions.

I too have a Prisma cable currently being built. Since I haven't heard much about the Prisma, i'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the cable. I know you want to let it break in but do you have any initial impressions concerning the sound?

Aug 2, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #150 of 903
I too have a Prisma cable currently being built. Since I haven't heard much about the Prisma, i'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the cable. I know you want to let it break in but do you have any initial impressions concerning the sound?

I listened to it first night on my mainline amp and thought that it sounded clear and unveiled, but that the bass was reduced. Last night I used my crack amp and it sounded wonderful. Best my crack has sounded to date. Clearer, with blacker Background. Was this the cable or another factor? I’ll have a better impression a few days from now. Hopefully it’s the cable and we can both be happy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back