Arctic Cables Discussion Thread
Oct 31, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #227 of 910
I just got a pair of Signum+ for my Stellia headphones. Contrary to some opinions I have read on the forums, I don't think the cables are bright. For me, the main difference I hear vs plain copper is greater detail, particularly in the bass, not in the treble. Instruments such as strings also have more texture than I hear over copper and don't sound smoothed. I am running them with an XLR connector to my Focal Arche.
I didn’t hear any brightness either. On the contrary, the slightly upper mid shoutiness of the Stellia was tamed and there was more Extension to be heard. No brightness here. But of course it also depends on which source someone uses I guess.

Oct 31, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #228 of 910
My Arctic Cables Cuprum arrived. As expected, it is pure awesome. I ordered this for my Denon D9200. Went copper to add a little lift in the lower end. Once again, Arctic has exceeded all expectations.

20201031_144445.jpg20201031_144551.jpg20201031_144919.jpg20201031_143546.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #229 of 910
I didn’t hear any brightness either. On the contrary, the slightly upper mid shoutiness of the Stellia was tamed and there was more Extension to be heard. No brightness here. But of course it also depends on which source someone uses I guess.
I have not read thru many of the threads here relating to the Stellia, but since I've received mine several weeks go, I have been dissapointed with what I had thought was "shoutiness in the upper mids". Boy am I glad to read that someone else has that same impression. I need to use the Stellia on my outside deck where ambient noise can be distracting at best and very annoying at worst. But that "shoutiness" on many recordings can become really irritating. I bought a upocc silver coated copper cable from a popular on-line vender. It did help reduce that effect but the cable is extremely microphonic. So much so that when it rubs against the collar of my shirt it sounds like the rumbling of thunder in the distance. So I must remain as still as a statue to enjoy the presentaion while employing this cable. I like what you have stated regarding the taming of the "shoutiness" of the Stellia, but what about microphonics of this cable? Please advise. Thanks.

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #230 of 910
I have not read thru many of the threads here relating to the Stellia, but since I've received mine several weeks go, I have been dissapointed with what I had thought was "shoutiness in the upper mids". Boy am I glad to read that someone else has that same impression. I need to use the Stellia on my outside deck where ambient noise can be distracting at best and very annoying at worst. But that "shoutiness" on many recordings can become really irritating. I bought a upocc silver coated copper cable from a popular on-line vender. It did help reduce that effect but the cable is extremely microphonic. So much so that when it rubs against the collar of my shirt it sounds like the rumbling of thunder in the distance. So I must remain as still as a statue to enjoy the presentaion while employing this cable. I like what you have stated regarding the taming of the "shoutiness" of the Stellia, but what about microphonics of this cable? Please advise. Thanks.

Microphonics are almost non existent compared to stock cable.

I just recently received my Signum+ and funny a lot of us have the same experience with the upper mids shoutiness in Stellia. It didn't bother me too much but it was definitely apparent in a few songs and caused fatigue. Can confirm the Signum+ fixed one of the 2 weaknesses I perceived in the Stellia, the shoutiness being one of them.

To be honest tho that didn't bother me as much as the sub bass and is apparent since I mostly listen to bass heavy electronic music. Sub bass lacked slam, authority, and impact. With the Signum+, this was improved, almost immediately out of the box, I am only about 75-80 into burn in and the improvement in the low ends is almost night and day compared to the stock cable, bass is now more "felt" than heard and overall there is more weight to the notes. It might not be very apparent in non electronic music or bass light genres but for me this was a massive difference and immediately made the Signum+ worth the purchase.

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #231 of 910

I just recently received my Signum+ and funny a lot of us have the same experience with the upper mids shoutiness in Stellia. It didn't bother me too much but it was definitely apparent in a few songs and caused fatigue. Can confirm the Signum+ fixed one of the 2 weaknesses I perceived in the Stellia, the shoutiness being one of them.

To be honest tho that didn't bother me as much as the sub bass and is apparent since I mostly listen to bass heavy electronic music. Sub bass lacked slam, authority, and impact. With the Signum+, this was improved, almost immediately out of the box, I am only about 75-80 into burn in and the improvement in the low ends is almost night and day compared to the stock cable, bass is now more "felt" than heard and overall there is more weight to the notes. It might not be very apparent in non electronic music or bass light genres but for me this was a massive difference and immediately made the Signum+ worth the purchase.

I say the improvement of the Signum+ also applied to the Utopia. What I feel lacking in Utopia is the lack of high extension, and the occ silver just make a nice touch to make it work. The only complaint for the Signum+ cable is that the braid from the amp connector to the splitter is quite uneven. I am buying some quality cable sleeve to cover that section to make it more beautiful. However, this is only personal taste and not related to the sound quality.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #232 of 910

Nice to hear they made such an impact on your listening pleasure. You have convinced me to give them a try. I'll place an order tomorrow for a Signum+ for my Stellia. Any advice on the options I should consider when ordering, such as the type of weave or solder? Thanks!

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #233 of 910
Nice to hear they made such an impact on your listening pleasure. You have convinced me to give them a try. I'll place an order tomorrow for a Signum+ for my Stellia. Any advice on the options I should consider when ordering, such as the type of weave or solder? Thanks!

You won't be disappointed. I didn't know much about the options myself so I just went with the default braid and solder wire, don't think it's that big a deal.

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #234 of 910

Just a little comment on braid, if you want more uniformity then you might prefer the square braid. Sound-wise, it shall not have too much difference.

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #236 of 910
Guess I need to call and ask the experts at Arctic Cables if there is any correlation between braid style and cable microphonics. And have them explain to me the differences between the solder choices and potential impact (if any) upon cable sound signature.

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #237 of 910
Supersonido
Guess I need to call and ask the experts at Arctic Cables if there is any correlation between braid style and cable microphonics. And have them explain to me the differences between the solder choices and potential impact (if any) upon cable sound signature.
Hi, I can also confir: no microphonics whatsoever. At least I can’t hear any with the Stellia on my head. I also would say go for the square braid. I have a square braid palladium. No microphonics. So you should be safe. Concerning solder choices: All of them are top notch. But of course just ask them. Good luck and great you are on board 👍

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #238 of 910
Thanks for all your replies. I thought I would pose my same questions to the manufacturer just to see what they have to say. I could not find a telephone contact for Arctic Cables, so I used their on-line contact form to inquire if there is a difference in microphonics among their braid choices. I aslo asked if there was a difference in sonics between the three solders and if they had a recommendation for solder choice for the Signum+. Website says allow 24-48 hours for a reply. I will post their reply here when received.

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #239 of 910
I say the improvement of the Signum+ also applied to the Utopia. What I feel lacking in Utopia is the lack of high extension, and the occ silver just make a nice touch to make it work. The only complaint for the Signum+ cable is that the braid from the amp connector to the splitter is quite uneven. I am buying some quality cable sleeve to cover that section to make it more beautiful. However, this is only personal taste and not related to the sound quality.

I just observed this today too about the highs. My cable is just shy of 100 hrs (I last listened at around 75hr mark), I heard a very noticeable improvement in the highs, they are more airy and sparkly, but at the same time less fatiguing, it's a really weird to say but damn it's nice.

To be honest I had no major expectations of these cables when I purchased them, I mainly just wanted a new cable to replace the stock and one that was terminated with 4.4 for my wm1z. I had various silver & copper cables in the past and they were marginal improvements at best. I am actually in shock how much they have improved the Stellias and they're supposedly not even at peak until 150-200 hours. Had no clue a good cable can make such a difference...

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #240 of 910
Let me just throw this out there.. If u thought the signum+ were good, wait till u try the palladium. *grin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back