aptX Adaptive / aptX Lossless USB Transmitters
Jun 24, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #1,383 of 2,089
So long as the said adapter gives it enough voltage as many have issues with some 3rd party ones.
My experience with iOS using Apple lightning to USB adapter and just a 3rd party portable DAC was bad.

There was a specific process I had to go through every time to get the audio to go to the DAC, and sometimes you had to do the process two or three times before it registered (process was something like: 1. open Onkyo HF Player App start playing then pause it. 2. plug in lightning adapter with DAC, start playing. 3. if fail repeat).
It worked for about 8 months before the DAC just died out of nowhere. I double checked by plugging the DAC into PC and yeah completely dead, it would receive no power (a light on the DAC would turns on) and wouldn't be recognized.

Together with this iffy experience on iOS and the DAC getting quite warm during use and draining the phone battery+reducing it's battery health quite quickly I didn't really want to try it again after that. Managed to get a full refund on the DAC from Amazon so that was ok. The DAC was Sabaj DA2 and the phone was iPhone SE.
Apple lightning to USB adapter still works on it's own.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #1,384 of 2,089
Oh good lord....again we will have to change dongles / earbuds / headphones -___-

https://www.gsmarena.com/qualcomm_e...rm_with_ultralow_20_ms_latency-news-58941.php
I was just about to post about this. This was a press release intended to push the QCC3086, which is specifically aimed for dongle applications. It’s been announced since last year I think but I’m guessing this is a sign they’ve got it made in quantity now. No one bothered with the QCC3071 for dongles (so far anyway) but hopefully this one might finally see a dongle product on sale.

i personally feel like I’ve been waiting two years for a dongle with aptX Lossless, which this SoC would bring. It’s also BT 5.4 Qualified.

Unfortunately, it seems it can’t deliver spatial audio without the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2. I had hoped the S5 Gen 2 and S3 Gen 2 could do spatial on their own but I guess there’s ”spatialisation” and “stereo rotation” to consider. Not to mention “earbud cross head rotation alignment”. 🫨

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/relea...ound-platform-portfolio-extended-to-deliver-b

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #1,385 of 2,089
My experience with iOS using Apple lightning to USB adapter and just a 3rd party portable DAC was bad.

There was a specific process I had to go through every time to get the audio to go to the DAC, and sometimes you had to do the process two or three times before it registered (process was something like: 1. open Onkyo HF Player App start playing then pause it. 2. plug in lightning adapter with DAC, start playing. 3. if fail repeat).
It worked for about 8 months before the DAC just died out of nowhere. I double checked by plugging the DAC into PC and yeah completely dead, it would receive no power (a light on the DAC would turns on) and wouldn't be recognized.

Together with this iffy experience on iOS and the DAC getting quite warm during use and draining the phone battery+reducing it's battery health quite quickly I didn't really want to try it again after that. Managed to get a full refund on the DAC from Amazon so that was ok. The DAC was Sabaj DA2 and the phone was iPhone SE.
Apple lightning to USB adapter still works on it's own.
I've tried a couple dongles, no success for me. I'm stuck in the Apple universe and seems nothing is going to help. Maybe some day.

Jun 27, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #1,386 of 2,089
I haven’t had any issues using my FiiO DACs (KA2, KA3, KA5) with iPhone. Also didn’t have any issues with the THX Onyx DAC and the Creative Sound Blaster Play! 4.

Ironically, I’m having an issue now but hoping it’s a beta thing. My 13 Pro Max running iOS 17 Beta 2 seems to have USB Audio limited to 48kHz like Android. What!?! Trying to find out from Apple why I’m seeing this now.

Jun 28, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #1,387 of 2,089
I've tried a couple dongles, no success for me. I'm stuck in the Apple universe and seems nothing is going to help. Maybe some day.
the only 3rd-party dongles that seem to play well with iOS are the Apple MFI certified ones with lightning connector that plug straight into the iPhone (no lightning to USB adapter needed). but I also remember reading about iOS updates breaking the function of these dongle's, it made the dongle useless and you had to count of Apple developers fixing it in the next iOS update.
at the time I was using the Sabaj DA2 I think there was like one option that was MFI certified. It was expensive and I think didn't sell very well as I noticed it was discontinued. I don't know about the options customers have now.

but my opinions have changed in terms of audible sound improvements since then, most people will probably be happy with the sound from Apple's own Lightning to 3.5mm dongle which is about $5 from Apple I think. as you would expect it works flawlessly with Apple devices.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #1,388 of 2,089
Hey guys. I want to share my few days experience with Creative BT-W5. It's much better than W4. I'm not going to talk if it's 24/96 or not on BT side, you can believe what you want. They advertise it, so be it. That's not even important at all. I'm going to talk about "what I hear" impressions and overall experience. After few minutes of listening my test tracks I was happy they finally did it, but today when I was watching some youtube I noticed that so called "low quality sound articles" are still there, but not always which is weird. I think it has something to do with nature of aptx adaptive, because it's adapt on the fly so sometime you hear some articles, sometime not. I switched back to KB8P and these issues are gone which is real bummer because it's Creatives second attempt 🤦‍♂️, you can finally toggle between aptx low latency and apt high quality, it's THE Creative, etc, but at the end only what matters is sound and sound is questionable. Looks like it's really aptx adaptive thing. Don't get me wrong, most of you wont hear differences and I know that because there are ton of people (few also here) already happy with W4. I use 2 headphones for testing. Beoplay H95 and Sennheiser Momentum 4 and combinations of windows PC, windows laptop, macbook, phone. So I doubt it's "my setup" issue.
The result is:
Creative BT-W4 - latest drivers, firmware to date. No changes to sound. A lot of low quality sound articles at certain frequencies and occasional choppy sound.
Creative BT-W5 - latest drivers, firmware to date. Much better approach but still some low quality sound articles in background, but not every time. Connection is stable, no choppy sound.
Sennheiser BTD600 - latest firmware probably solved the low quality sound articles (same as Creative), but it's so choppy experience it's not usable at all. I'm not sure what is causing such choppy sound.
This experience I have raises question.
If Creative and Sennheiser are really using aptx adaptive and I believe they do because they are well known brands in this area, they have common signs like low quality sound articles, choppy sound and chinese dongle have really clean sound. If I overlook the mentioned issues, Creative and Sennheiser soundstage is a bit wider, clearer, but with small issues (noticeable by me). Creatives second attempt is still not perfect and I can't believe such brand wouldn't solve these trivial issues.
Do these chinese dongles really use aptx adaptive? Who you believe? Big brands or anonymous aliexpress sellers? Answer yourself. I really don't know.
I hope more people will share experience because it looks like everyone is happy and only I talk bull****!

Jul 2, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #1,389 of 2,089
I am using the TC28i Pro Lightning to USB-C Power Adapter from DDhifi along with a CREATIVE BT-W3 on an iPhone 14 and 14 Pro Max with zero issues. No apple OTG cable is needed and it sits flush with the bottom of the iPhone which is really nice.
Works on a Moondrop LittleWhite with AptX HD, and on the iFi Go Pod with AptX. I will try it with the Fiio UTWS5 sometime as well.

Jul 2, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #1,390 of 2,089
I have looked for a dongle DAC with a built in bluetooth transmitter but haven't found anything. This would be the ultimate solution as I'd then be able to get MQA and higher level decoding out of the iPhone.
Any suggestions to improve the SQ would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 2, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #1,391 of 2,089
I have looked for a dongle DAC with a built in bluetooth transmitter but haven't found anything. This would be the ultimate solution as I'd then be able to get MQA and higher level decoding out of the iPhone.
Any suggestions to improve the SQ would be greatly appreciated.

Closest thing I can think of is Hiby R3 Pro. Not a dongle though... but it is small.

Jul 2, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #1,392 of 2,089
Closest thing I can think of is Hiby R3 Pro. Not a dongle though... but it is small.
I have a RS8 and really like Hiby. How long ago did this unit come out?

Jul 2, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,393 of 2,089
Jul 2, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #1,394 of 2,089
Jul 3, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #1,395 of 2,089
I tried these two and neither works with the iPhone. Such a shame it's not possible to get higher res wireless audio on the iPhone.

From what I am gathering there is no way to get 48 or 96kHz and best is 44.1

I looked into the Hiby R3 and the manufacturer said a new model R3 II is due this fall.

Now to find a portable device with streaming capabilities...

IMG_5384.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back