aptX Adaptive / aptX Lossless USB Transmitters
Aug 1, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #286 of 2,135
The dongle is always plugged into my PC. I don't use it often. Does it send signals when it has no receiver connected? The LED is off during those times.
I wonder if i should unplug it while not using it.

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #287 of 2,135
I have it all unchecked (there was a reason I did so, but I forget now) apart from aptX Adaptive and I changed it to the High-Quality mode.

I would assume long pressing the button (6secs AFAIR) would factory reset it as I have done before.

Mine is plugged into a switched USB Female/Male Adapter so I power it on/off as needed and a lot neater than the ones with the switch in the middle of a cable out of reach.

A little Blue-Tack and it protrudes at top/rear of my PC case next to WIFI/BT antennae so I get better range now even to kitchen using aptX Adaptive whereas before it would stutter unless on aptX.

There is a bright white LED under that mirror finish so you can see if it is getting power.

71Icv6lnfXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71MiKQrIurL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #288 of 2,135
I have 1.3 firmware. Where can I download the latest firmware ?
We're needing a "sticky" post here with these details but it doesn't look like I can create one.

For KB8P https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xPbkibD42SLHFm5zU3UjZk1DgyB9dNgl/view?usp=sharing (No Mic version)

Use at your own risk. Note that the person that originally shared these has deleted the content of their post.

Original source: https://pan.Baidu.com/s/14a4sf7yx1ZYT41aZMx3mJg?pwd=qiyi

I don't know if there is even newer firmware than this. It seems the guy uses a different link all the time, instead of using the same link and replacing the file.

I no longer have the link for the KB8. There were no updates made available, at the time, for the KB9/KB9P.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #290 of 2,135
Once the audio file has been reduced to 320kbps, there is no way to put the missing data back into that reduced file.

Anything that tries to make more of a lower source would be upscaling. Upscaling is not usually desirable. It’s kind of like “faking it”. It’s not the real missing quality.

You have to provide music at or higher than the capabilities of the output device to benefit. So, you want to input CD or better quality source audio files to get the best out of aptX Adaptive.

Whenever you capture/import audio, these days you should use a lossless format like ALAC, WAV or FLAC as MP3 is a lossy format. The popular use of the dongles these days is to use it with a lossless streaming service.
Would the same be true for playing a 16-bit track with a 24 or 32-bit setting?

Aug 1, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #291 of 2,135
Yes, you cannot upscale something just by changing the setting. The bits above 16-bit are basically blank. If you resave something 16-bit as 24-bit, it won't become actual 24-bit.

Lossy compression is one-way. Once the detail has been thrown away, it can't be put back.

It's not offered much these days but some products have previously done upscaling as a special feature. In fact, Sony does it with their DSEE option which attempts to upscale content not already at 24-bit 96KHz.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #296 of 2,135
I think the next finding in here is going to be a self-powered ldac dongle from aliexpress (please?:xf_eek: :p)

Wish there was a way we could buy stuff like that with reasonable shipping times too. Waiting 1-2 months for a piece of hardware is :<

They usually only give high estimates to avoid disappointment. My orders also usually arrive within a fortnight. You can always pay more to expedite!

LDAC and aptX Lossless combined dongle is in development. Not sure when it will go on sale.

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #297 of 2,135
Is this the only adapter that can output the next coding of aptX available? I ended up purchasing the Edifier Stax Spirit S3. So anything to hook up to my laptop would be a doozy to get. But not sure if there is something better available

Aug 7, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #298 of 2,135
Is this the only adapter that can output the next coding of aptX available? I ended up purchasing the Edifier Stax Spirit S3. So anything to hook up to my laptop would be a doozy to get. But not sure if there is something better available
Those support aptX Adaptive. So, there are now several dongles to choose from. For best quality options make sure it says it supports 24-bit/96Khz. If you want something with newest tech available today then probably best to get one with the QCC3056 SoC.

Aug 7, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #299 of 2,135
Those support aptX Adaptive. So, there are now several dongles to choose from. For best quality options make sure it says it supports 24-bit/96Khz. If you want something with newest tech available today then probably best to get one with the QCC3056 SoC.
Pardon my ignorance, but does this relate to the model for the KB9P adapter?

Aug 7, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #300 of 2,135
Pardon my ignorance, but does this relate to the model for the KB9P adapter?
No. While the KB9P is a great, affordable adapter, it doesn’t have the QCC3056. You may not need the minor advantages of the QCC3056. There will also be even better dongles with the QCC3071 in the coming months we hope.

The KB9P won’t break the bank. So, it’s worth getting anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back