aptX Adaptive / aptX Lossless USB Transmitters
Sep 16, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #1,576 of 2,095
Thanks for the feedback regarding the Creative dongle. I was hoping to hear about the chinese "VAORLO" ones though as it's a fraction of the price ^^;

It might be enough for my use, I'm just trying to understand the difference between the models.
(it just needs to be compatible with PS3/4/5 and Sony BM10 receiver)

Sep 16, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #1,577 of 2,095
Thanks for the feedback regarding the Creative dongle. I was hoping to hear about the chinese "VAORLO" ones though as it's a fraction of the price ^^;

It might be enough for my use, I'm just trying to understand the difference between the models.
(it just needs to be compatible with PS3/4/5 and Sony BM10 receiver)
Vaorlo KB9P with the downloadable PC app. was the one that performed closest to BT-W5. May suffice for you.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #1,578 of 2,095
Got my eppfun AK8675 Pro Bluetooth 5.2 aptX-Adaptive Transmitter Receiver for Home Stereo TV, aptX LL/aptX HD Low Latency Wireless Audio Adapter, 3.5mm RCA/AUX/Optical Outputs/Inputs (Black)

I bought these to see if I could improve my lipsync performance when watching movies/tv on my LG C2 OLED, since its average at best with its inbuilt aptx-hd/aac support and since LG forgot people may watch on their TVs........ the codec chasing begins.

Mini review:
The Good:
-Supports aptx adaptive, LL, HD
-Dual antenna system (but did not notice much signal improvement)
-optical inputs and outputs and 3.5mm headphone input
-low power unit charged via usb port
-all cables inside box to get started and english instructions

The Bad
-No LDAC
-No buttons to really switch between BT codecs so forced to rely on its Ai
-Not the easiest to pair with my BT Hps or devices, sometimes needs to be repaired, turned on/off
-Energy saving feature makes unit unusable, if your device is switched off or goes to sleep (BT HPs)
the eppfun unit does not auto power on, requires manual power button on each time!
-Latency was very poor in the 1000+ms, when I directly connected to my TVs inbuilt BT it went to 400ms again.

20230919_172009.jpg

20230919_171953.jpg

20230919_171958.jpg

So I don't recommend anyone buying this, it almost worked I could live without changing codecs it did automatically pick aptx-Adaptive when paired with my B&W P7v2s with adaptive support fine and lipsync on TV improved well enough over the sony xm5s but what is the point the eppfun goes to sleep and forgets to come back up as soon as my headphones auto energy save and this happens on both my BT headphones.

This is not the 1st time BT devices/Dongles/Receivers have done this, Fiio gear does this also. I have another BT receiver due from Ali express so will give that a test.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #1,579 of 2,095
Hey everyone. Here is the test of most used aptX Adaptive USB dongles I mentioned before.
Testing conditions:
Transmitters are connected to USB 2.0 through 1m long USB 2.0 extension cable.
Distance between headphones and transmitter ~1m
Latency test is just simple Audio Video Sync Test video
Noisy environment (3 phones around, wi-fi AP, BT temp sensor, everything is ON)
Sound test is combination of 24bit/96\48kHz FLACs and WAVs multiple genres.
ANC cannot be implicitly disabled for both headphones, only set it to "neutral", but I doubt ANC is completely OFF for that setting.

Sennheiser MOMENTUM 4 (FW: 2.13.18 - added support for 96kHz/24bit for aptX Adaptive)
-----------------------------------
KB8P (FW: 2.29.0)
- loud enough
aptX Adaptive (very good performance)
- HQ mode - No issues (very good latency, ~40ms)
- LL mode - No issues (I would say identical latency to HQ mode)
aptX HD - No issues
--------------------
Sennheiser BTD 600 (FW: 1.20.0)
- no codec/mode selection possible
- louder than KB8P, 70% volume = 92% on KB8P
aptX Adaptive - No issues (a bit higher latency than KB8P, but acceptable for watching YouTube, ~120ms)
--------------------
Creative BT-W5 (FW: 1.2.230511.1220, Driver: 2.2.6.1)
- Creative App version 1.15.8.0
- loudest, 60% volume = 92% on KB8P
aptX Adaptive
- HQ mode - No issues (latency ~230ms)
- LL mode - No issues (latency ~30ms)

Result - None of the tested dongles had issues with headphones. No pops and cracks, no sound artifacts, nothing. Clean sound all day. Distance wise I went to opposite side of house, ~10m away from dongle, 3 thick concrete walls and full closet of clothes in signal way, no drops at all. I was very surprised.
If you are searching for best performing combination I'll recommend Creative BT-W5 because it's 96kHz/24bit on BT, latest windows app has no glitches, switching modes doesn't require dongle restart and it's pretty much instant with very short audio drop. KB8P is on second place since we don't know audio rates on BT for BTD 600 and KB8P so pick KB8P because you can switch between modes and force specific codec.
From sound quality perspective I can't tell difference even though I have sensitive hearing and I can hear even small artifacts on the background. It's subjective.

Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 (FW: 6.0.1)
- loud enough
aptX Adaptive
- HQ mode - No issues (very good latency, ~50ms)
aptX HD - No issues
--------------------
aptX Adaptive - Significant pops/cracks when audio stream start. Occasional pops/cracks during playback (latency ~100ms)
--------------------
aptX Adaptive
- HQ mode - very rare pops/cracks (latency ~220ms)
- LL mode - more pops/cracks compared to HQ mode (latency ~30ms)

Result - The only usable dongle for these headphones with no issues is KB8P. I cannot recommend the other ones for these headphones.

Overall - As you can see this is pretty much "roulette", right combination of headphones and dongle. First I thought it's issue with transmitters or my setup, but as it turns out, it's the aptX Adaptive implementation in H95 which is real bummer because other codecs (AAC, SBC, aptX, aptX HD) have no issues. Just aptX Adaptive, the one with best specs, the one I wanna use. I'm curious if this is valid reason for RMA. Sennheiser clearly done something for this case because theirs latest FW update narrowed few things for aptX Adaptive and added support for 24/96 where H95 is without update for more than year. To me it looks like H95 is dead for developers but I give it a shot with customer support AGAIN!
I couldn't test consoles or TVs because I don't have one, but hopefully this will be helpful for someone.
If there is anyone with H95 who can test BTD600 or Creative BT-W5 with windows desktop PC or laptop, I would be very happy to see result. Whether it's me the unlucky one or it's common.

Interesting findings:
1. H95 pops and cracks significantly reduced when I upgraded my audio interface from Steinberg UR12 to Motu M2. I don't know how it's related, if it's at all. Maybe electronic inside of UR12 interfered somehow. Can't explain.
2. Sennheiser Smart Control app see the BT-W5 as W4x :D Probably it's just naming miss-match between USB and BT, but fun fact. I googled W4x and didn't find anything
IMG_0225.jpg

Sep 21, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #1,581 of 2,095
Hey everyone. Here is the test of most used aptX Adaptive USB dongles I mentioned before.
Testing conditions:
Transmitters are connected to USB 2.0 through 1m long USB 2.0 extension cable.
Distance between headphones and transmitter ~1m
Latency test is just simple Audio Video Sync Test video
Noisy environment (3 phones around, wi-fi AP, BT temp sensor, everything is ON)
Sound test is combination of 24bit/96\48kHz FLACs and WAVs multiple genres.
ANC cannot be implicitly disabled for both headphones, only set it to "neutral", but I doubt ANC is completely OFF for that setting.

Sennheiser MOMENTUM 4 (FW: 2.13.18 - added support for 96kHz/24bit for aptX Adaptive)
- loud enough
aptX Adaptive (very good performance)
- HQ mode - No issues (very good latency, ~40ms)
aptX HD - No issues
--------------------
aptX Adaptive - No issues (a bit higher latency than KB8P, but acceptable for watching YouTube, ~120ms)
--------------------
aptX Adaptive
- HQ mode - No issues (latency ~230ms)
- LL mode - No issues (latency ~30ms)

Result - None of the tested dongles had issues with headphones. No pops and cracks, no sound artifacts, nothing. Clean sound all day. Distance wise I went to opposite side of house, ~10m away from dongle, 3 thick concrete walls and full closet of clothes in signal way, no drops at all. I was very surprised.
If you are searching for best performing combination I'll recommend Creative BT-W5 because it's 96kHz/24bit on BT, latest windows app has no glitches, switching modes doesn't require dongle restart and it's pretty much instant with very short audio drop. KB8P is on second place since we don't know audio rates on BT for BTD 600 and KB8P so pick KB8P because you can switch between modes and force specific codec.
From sound quality perspective I can't tell difference even though I have sensitive hearing and I can hear even small artifacts on the background. It's subjective.

Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 (FW: 6.0.1)
- loud enough
aptX Adaptive
- HQ mode - No issues (very good latency, ~50ms)
aptX HD - No issues
--------------------
aptX Adaptive - Significant pops/cracks when audio stream start. Occasional pops/cracks during playback (latency ~100ms)
--------------------
aptX Adaptive
- HQ mode - very rare pops/cracks (latency ~220ms)
- LL mode - more pops/cracks compared to HQ mode (latency ~30ms)

Result - The only usable dongle for these headphones with no issues is KB8P. I cannot recommend the other ones for these headphones.

Overall - As you can see this is pretty much "roulette", right combination of headphones and dongle. First I thought it's issue with transmitters or my setup, but as it turns out, it's the aptX Adaptive implementation in H95 which is real bummer because other codecs (AAC, SBC, aptX, aptX HD) have no issues. Just aptX Adaptive, the one with best specs, the one I wanna use. I'm curious if this is valid reason for RMA. Sennheiser clearly done something for this case because theirs latest FW update narrowed few things for aptX Adaptive and added support for 24/96 where H95 is without update for more than year. To me it looks like H95 is dead for developers but I give it a shot with customer support AGAIN!
I couldn't test consoles or TVs because I don't have one, but hopefully this will be helpful for someone.
If there is anyone with H95 who can test BTD600 or Creative BT-W5 with windows desktop PC or laptop, I would be very happy to see result. Whether it's me the unlucky one or it's common.

Interesting findings:
1. H95 pops and cracks significantly reduced when I upgraded my audio interface from Steinberg UR12 to Motu M2. I don't know how it's related, if it's at all. Maybe electronic inside of UR12 interfered somehow. Can't explain.
2. Sennheiser Smart Control app see the BT-W5 as W4x :D Probably it's just naming miss-match between USB and BT, but fun fact. I googled W4x and didn't find anything
IMG_0225.jpg

thanks very good testing, how did you get those latency numbers?

I can run the YT video with my XM5 and PX7S2s but to get those read out numbers would be very handy.

My main interest is also in aptx-adaptive, I get TV lip sync issues with my XM5s so am trying to sort out aptx-adaptive from my TV to my PX7S2s to improve it.

Its a shame if nc can't be truly switched off on your H95s which are such a good pair of HPs, well even M4s are very impressive some actually liked them more then there H95s and Px7-8 on the 300+ PX8 headfi thread.

Sep 21, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #1,582 of 2,095
Spotted something maybe of interest and good for Wired hp users who want BT wireless too, and if you have the BT-W3/4 dongles. (not sure about W5 though)

Creative Soundblaster X5

Has a USB host port on the back dedicated for Creative BT dongles , you can plug in your BT-W3/4 and go BT via the dongle and use aptx-adaptive and if you still want have the Wired hp option on the front. Has optical input so good for TV, PC, PS4/5 Consoles and Bluray and media players etc

One way to force Codecs onto our devices that don't support it at least.

Sep 22, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #1,583 of 2,095
thanks very good testing, how did you get those latency numbers?
I can run the YT video with my XM5 and PX7S2s but to get those read out numbers would be very handy.
Just by looking at horizontal comma at the bottom going left to right. You need to focus a bit and spot where you hear sound is your ~latency.
Scale is divided by 100ms. For example if I hear sound in this spot, it will be roughly 140ms. For bigger latency differences is enough.
audiotest.png

Its a shame if nc can't be truly switched off on your H95s which are such a good pair of HPs, well even M4s are very impressive some actually liked them more then there H95s and Px7-8 on the 300+ PX8 headfi thread.
Yeah, I think having one more switch in app for NC isn't big deal even for devs. It's just not there :) M4s have a bit more bass and sub bass, H95s more trebles on the other hand. Depends on preferences. I like them both. To me NC is better in H95 and also transparency is much better which I use a lot when talking to wife and kids and I like mechanical rings for ANC and volume control on earcups more than pure touch control. M4s are feature richer, the app gives you more details etc.

Sep 22, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #1,585 of 2,095
I think I messed up, I bought a kb9p and didnt check if any of my headphones had it, non of them did, and its default codec is sbc and I cant change it with the button to aac.
Is there any way to use the kb9p as a normal bluetooth dongle or some way to get aac to work? I still have a fiio btr3k that does support aptx, but I would have to use sbc for everything else.

Thanks

Sep 22, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #1,588 of 2,095
There is one that has all codecs bar LDAC (I will find it later), it is the one with little cable on it and optical/usb/3.5mm inputs etc.

EDIT: here is another:

DBF2E4D6-52D5-4425-957E-BCCD3E5FBE91.jpeg
Given that it has both AUX input and output, it probably can receive AAC, but not transmit.
All those transmitter+receiver devices with QCCxxxx will not work as AAC source, only sink.

Sep 25, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #1,589 of 2,095
Avantree DG60P 5.3 USB receiver (2023 edition) mini review

Grabbed a used one off ebay for £15, so gave it a testing with my Windows 10 desktop pc + Nvidia Shield + LG C2 OLED TV

Pros:
-Works on Windows 10 plug and play, no driver required-Windows sees the device as a PC soundcard (not compatible with BT mice/keyboards etc)
-higher volume level then standard normal USB Bluetooth 5.0-5.3 Dongles that usually work with mice/keyboards since it runs like a usb soundcard
-Supports aptx adaptive (No direct windows driver but it may still work) and aptx HD confirmed working (with A2DP windows driver) and green led flashes
-music and gaming mode (I believe this is a bit like higher quality BT codecs and lower latency BT codecs modes)
-Manual side button and led lights to indicate codec used and when connected, which is good since if its green its aptx hd etc
-Supports Ps4 (but no consoles test this)
-Good stable latency better (200-300ms) when used with my Nvidia shield but I found the reception glitchy so it would vary at times.

Cons:
-Attenna is real glitchy I think you have to point it in the right direction and face it towards you or is it even working good enough?
-No Windows 10 software to check codecs or what BT mode or Codec is even being used but you have the led light on product
-Sorta works on Nvidia shield 2019 pro via USB sound mode, but so glitchy to connect took several attempts to connect to my PX8
BT headphones but the real issue is it switches to aptx-hd and its performance is terrible 1 metre away sound pops, cuts off so really it don't work well
I can reconnect using my TVs bluetooth and its stable again.
-Does not connect or work with LG C2 USB sound mode at all.

Basically the Avantree DG60p is fine for an Audio sound card for windows platform but remember it wont work with the A2DP windows software so no aptx-hd!
I bought this to see if I could get better lip sync or low latency support BT codec support for my TV to my headphones (which supports aptx adaptive), the Nvidia shield works with it but its glitchy and I question that attenna, even disconnecting and reattaching or moving it closer to myself it seems to buckle with the android based Nvidia shield so for my purposes its no good and back in the box.

I won't be recommending this device, the Asian KB8P/KB9P series or Creative BT dongles will probably be better and overall more useful but as with
anything its a trial and error at this point.

I prefer normal 5.3 BT dongles since it works with A2DP and gives me aptx-hd support on Windows 10.

20230925_193930.jpg

20230925_193950.jpg

20230925_194016.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #1,590 of 2,095
eppfun AK3046D Bluetooth 5.2 Qualcomm aptX-Adaptive HD Transmitter (google it or search on aliexpress)

Mini Review

Grabbed this for about £15 off aliexpress

Pros
-Supports aptx classic, LL, adaptive, HD and sbc and long press off "sel" button switches to device supported Codec fine
-Works with 3.5mm headphone stereo connection, Optical input and USB connection to Android, PC, console, TV.
-No energy saving feature, it just works and stays on so you won't suddenly lose Audio while watching TV for example.
-I was able to use my TVs optical output to this eppfun box and select aptx adaptive mode but check the 1st Con point!
-Connects on Nvidia shield as a usb soundcard but check cons!

Cons
-Tried via 3.5mm PC soundcard output and LG C2 TV optical output, its sort of working.... I ran latency website Checker and its got terrible Latency
very unreliable and unpredictable, switching to my PC USB BT dongle or built in TVs BT and stable latency results.
-Nvidia Shield pro performance is terrible with this eppfun AK3046D, audio breaks and unstable so can't really be used.

Becoming a bit of a broken record with my mini reviews sadly I don't recommend this device, its just too unstable and unreliable and there is a similar model if you scroll
up which probably is similar to this box(but not going to verify that)

By all means you may have a different experience and its cheap enough to test but not in my case for TV watching.

I don't know if these Asian BT devices have that level of firmware/software support but it looks doubtful, by all means run Latency checker here and check how stable and reliable these BT transmitters and Receivers really are since I ran the test several times and found inconsistent latency results. The inbuilt BT chipset in my TV is much more reliable and stable, but it does not support aptx-adaptive sadly.

20230921_124841.jpg

20230921_124908.jpg

20230924_203350.jpg

20230925_154721.jpg

(I have both PX7 S2, PX8 also Sony XM5 BT headphones)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back