APRIL FOOLS! Astell&Kern AK480 Music Player!
Mar 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #31 of 395
  Right now it's all about the price wars, more expensive the better (no, just no). The Tera Player set the original benchmark at $1300, then it was $2200, so A&K came out with the 240 at what is it? $2.8k? Now the 480 is out again at $4.9k. Then next year we can expect to see a 960 at $8k, then the AK1920 will be $11-12k. I feel sorry for people who not know what they are buying something that isn't remotely close to what it values at, but hey there money not mine.

chasing the dragon.  :D

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #32 of 395
I love the business model of the "boutique" audio equipment makers and CIEMs manufacturers. They obviously know they have a very small customer base willing to pay for the "best". Must be a great feeling for AK240 owners to be superseded in two months like custom Roxanne purchasers to know the both the universal Roxanne and a new custom "Ambiant FR" are already in production while they still wait for orders from October.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #35 of 395
  Yeah, this thing has to be HUGE, in size.  

Unlike the AK240, which is smaller than it looks, the 480 seemed a bit un-wieldy in size.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #36 of 395

I was lucky enough to get a preview listen to this unit while I was in LA at the Iriver offices, and I have to say, I would never have believed that any portable could sound more refined than the AK240, which I though was already better than what I thought possible from a DAP.

I get a pic but you got to play with it.  Heartbroken.  :frowning2:

I told you to come for the SoCal meet!  This is what you get for missing out on that. 
tongue.gif

Yeah, this thing has to be HUGE, in size.  

Unlike the AK240, which is smaller than it looks, the 480 seemed a bit un-wieldy in size.

A little bit, but it wasn't that much bigger than an HM-901... certainly thinner.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #37 of 395
Mar 31, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #41 of 395
  I am actually looking for a new source now that I have my Mentor's, how do I get in on the Lottery.

I would hate to think that only the privileged have a shot at this!!!

There are no words for how much I want one of these.

I had a close look at the specs and $5k is actually a bargain for what it is. Ask MSB, Kondo or dCs the cost to make and implement one of those femto low jitter clocks coupled with a 32bit DAC IC in there 5 digit priced DAC's. And this is a portable (to an extent) DAP not a full sized DAC. 

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #42 of 395
  I was lucky enough to get a preview listen to this unit while I was in LA at the Iriver offices, and I have to say, I would never have believed that any portable could sound more refined than the AK240, which I though was already better than what I thought possible from a DAP.

Guess you will have to buy this new one

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #43 of 395

I bet Rudi will order 2, somebody call Singapore , and wake him up!!!!

Will spread in this in Singapore audio forums
smily_headphones1.gif
awaken the Rudi

Lol, Rudi is gonna be pissed! 
biggrin.gif

Any details on how I go about buying my lottery ticket??

I don't think lottery tickets can be purchased.  My understanding is that they are going to do some kind of free promotion to keep it fair.

I had a close look at the specs and $5k is actually a bargain for what it is. Ask MSB, Kondo or dCs the cost to make and implement one of those femto low jitter clocks coupled with a 32bit DAC IC in there 5 digit priced DAC's. And this is a portable (to an extent) DAP not a full sized DAC. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #44 of 395
Man, this smells awfully like an april fool's joke...

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #45 of 395

Guess you will have to buy this new one

I may even have to sell my Master 7 and Studio Six for this -- actually my entire home rig. I can save any remaining costs back in the power bills saved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back