Appreciation thread for the Ray Samuels - SR-71A: I just spend the night listening to the SR-71A with a cold beer and nothing to distract me.
Feb 1, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #16 of 145

Quote:
You do realize that it was your review that got me onto the Black Bird in the first place. So I have you to thank for all of this...really TKS mate!!

Quote:
I don't think the 71B overshadows the 71A. The 71B does balanced great and the 71a does single ended great. Now the 71B also does SE, so you do have two options but as far as sound, they both do an excellent job. No let down on either one. 

You are welcome and I am glad I was able to help. I take very serious what I say, most of the time, but especially when it comes to recommending and amp and describing what I hear. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #18 of 145
Well I placed my order for an SR-71A last night; or rather I forwarded Ray my cash thru paypal, so hopefully I'll be able to really participate in this appreciation thread soon. Anyhow, what's the usual turn around time for Ray, I haven't heard from him since transfering, and does he usually send tracking numbers for orders?

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #19 of 145

Quote:
Well I placed my order for an SR-71A last night; or rather I forwarded Ray my cash thru paypal, so hopefully I'll be able to really participate in this appreciation thread soon. Anyhow, what's the usual turn around time for Ray, I haven't heard from him since transfering, and does he usually send tracking numbers for orders?

Ray normally sends it out the same day or if received late, the next day but the area has been hit hard by snow and the cold and it has slowed things down a little I would imagine. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #20 of 145

I dunno, I made it to and from work today, but I can see why the shipping situation might be slowed down. Perhaps an "I got your order, will be shipping as soon as weather permits" email would be nice tho... 
cool.gif
 It's cool tho, I'll give it some time.

You know how it is tho, just eager to get my amp!! Ray's service has been fine so far. 

Quote:

Quote:

Ray normally sends it out the same day or if received late, the next day but the area has been hit hard by snow and the cold and it has slowed things down a little I would imagine. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #21 of 145
I got mine in three days and I am in Taiwan. It was really fast. It was all done silently...haha

In the sense that I was waiting for confirmation of payment and all that, but instead - it was just shipped here pronto...

So then the enjoyment began...I would't worry - you may have more luck getting it sooner if you live outside the US...

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #22 of 145
Haha, this is actually pretty silly since I only live about 90 miles from RS Audio, I could have driven to pick it up... probably should have when I think about it - but time is money.

I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that before I placed my order, actually.  *facepalm*

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #23 of 145
Please feel free to let us know of your experiences with the amp...

Personally, I am in 7th heaven..

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #24 of 145
Tonight - lights off - complete quiet - I listened with the SR-71A to an hour of music - a variety of musical pieces just to hear the quality of sound from different genres..

These included -

Copland: El Salon Mexico (Bernstein conducting)
Bruckner: Locus Iste ( Motet)
Billy Cobham: East Bay (Life and Times Album)
Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White, Joe Henderson, Freddie Hubbard - Why Wait (Griffith Park Collection Album)
Sibelius: Violin Concerto - 2nd MVT (Christian Ferras -vln  , Karajan conducting)
Frank Sinatra: My Way (70's recording)
Mahavishnu Orchestra: Miles Beyond (Birds of Fire Album)

All equally presented with plenty of kick, bite, subtlety, sonorous detail, wide sound-staging and naturalism...

Most impressive for me was the old recording of the Sibelius VLN Concerto - I have heard this recording hundreds of time...it is one of the albums I know better than countless others that I know very well ... because it is an OLD recording from the mid-1960's - it has always been presented to me through various hi-fi eq. as if watching a flat screen TV - the sound is arranged two dimensionally . I listen to this recording because it is the very best interpretation of the violin concerto that I know of. It is a personal favourite of mine...

The SR-71A not only presented this music that I love dearly in full three dimensional glory but the coloration of instruments, the directional projection of register and the REALness of the violin came home to me. I have never been more happy than this moment. To hear music I love - brought to me in the most natural realistic sound-scape both acutely present and far enough to hear the sound within an acoustically open space - total inspiration. I could not have spent my money more wisely than in buying this amp...

I think there can be no greater compliment than to say that this amp brings the reality of the recording to you - as it must have been heard by the people making the recordings ... such reality is what I would have thought is the truth of why we record and playback music...

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #25 of 145
@Syan25,

I recall you mentioning using your Shure but don't you find the DT-880 to be the more rewarding monitor? Sorry if I've missed your comments re the DT-880/SR-71A combo.

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #26 of 145
To be honest - I only just got the DT-880s  - a couple of weeks ago and I was saving them for the HR-2 when I get that in a couple of months. I was concerned that the 600 ohms might be difficult for any portable amp to drive...though I should probably give them a test drive on the SR-71A...

I am going to get a part of HD600's though next month - re-cabled with the Cardas - I know that Ray tested both the HR-2 and SR-71A with the HD600's....so the high impedance of 300 ohms will be no issue with the SR-71A

I use the SHURE SRH 840s mostly for portable use since I wouldn't dare to take my DT-880's out of the apartment - rains a lot in Taiwan being a tropical country...  

But of course, because the DT-880s are a superior headphone, I ought to try the SR-71A

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #27 of 145
I would be interested in reading your impressions of the 71A + DT-880 combo, even before you get your HR-2 rig up and running (maybe with a comparison afterwards, post burn-in?). The DT-880 has been on my list for a little while and with this 71A in the mail it will be an even more pertinent discussion. 

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #28 of 145
Sure - I will do. I am actually going to write a review of the SR-71A and I will use three headphones to do that with - the HD600 ( the classic choice), the DT-880 (600 ohm) my favorites, and the SHURE SRH840's. 

It will take me a couple of months though - not only because I want to allow for burn-in ( I am listening to music as I do the burn-in process) but also because I want more time to really get to know the amp properly. So far - it is a complete revelation. Plus, I am still waiting to buy the HD600.

Some people write than the DT-880 are a cold and analytical headphone but when matched with an amp like the HR-2 - then you get the best of both worlds - the HR-2 warm and dark - the DT-880 - bright and very balanced. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #29 of 145
Well, the SR-71A arrived today, unfortunately I haven't had any time to listen to more than one song because I have an exam tomorrow, and my home rig is usually just fine when I'm at my desk. So in that spirit I'll hold off from giving any impressions, other than to say this thing has A+ build quality (aside from the slight jiggle of the PCB w/o the dual 9Vs installed, which I understand is normal). I'm pleased with it and it will be coming to work/school with me tomorrow. :bigsmile_face:

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #30 of 145
Awesome - what cans will you be using??

I find that MEDIUM GAIN is best if using higher impedance headphones because you get more instrumental detail - it is AMAZING what you can hear from the instruments with medium gain and quality cans will still keep the sound-staging deep and wide.

My SHUREs can only keep the instrumental separation and sound-staging wide if the setting is on LOW GAIN. This is how it should be...The SHUREs have an impedance of about 44 ohms..

But higher impedance headphones on MEDIUM gain will be able to provide richer the instrumental detail and keep the instruments separate and maintain the wide sound-staging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back