Apple TV as music source
Feb 1, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #106 of 121
Resurrecting this thread (with lots of great info) as with the Apple TV price drops I'm considering picking one up. Refurbs of the 160GB are going for $279 (and 40GB for $199). Out of curiosity does anyone know the DAC inside the Apple TV? Haven't found it in any review I've found.

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #107 of 121
So answer my old question -
On a parts breakdown: "The cheapest part? A 75¢ audio chip from Taiwan's RealTek Semiconductor."

Just picked a 160GB refurb up today as they showed back up. Haven't decided if it will replace my Squeezebox, but wanted to ask if any of you that used the Apple TV has any now long term advice? Anyone stop using it?

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #108 of 121
Sorry Blessingx I have nothing useful to offer, but would value your impressions on the setup once its all up. More info on Apple TV as source the better!

Mar 29, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #110 of 121
Just read the March newsletter and Paul McGowan of PS Audio spent good length to look at the use of Apple wireless tools in music server application, and to him, the Apple TV is the "Killer Piece" which say a lot.

Those interested can have a read here :

PS Audio Newsletter - March 2008

F. Lo

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #111 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So answer my old question -
On a parts breakdown: "The cheapest part? A 75¢ audio chip from Taiwan's RealTek Semiconductor."

Just picked a 160GB refurb up today as they showed back up. Haven't decided if it will replace my Squeezebox, but wanted to ask if any of you that used the Apple TV has any now long term advice? Anyone stop using it?

Now that i have spent some time with mine i can say it was money well spent
the hd movies that i rented look great for 720p and the dd5.1 sound better
than cable. The ability of having all my photos shown on the plasma while my
i-tunes is playing works great for the family along with podcast and you tube. I have 9gb of lossless songs stored for parties and family get togethers.

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #114 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still have mine; no regrets and I prefer it to my mini in the family room; the cooling fans don't kick in on an ATV as there aren't any.

Also no need for keyboard and mouse just a simple remote.

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #115 of 121
I don't use a keyboard and mouse with my media center mini.

It's just the mini and the duet hooked up to the amp. I use Signal to control it, or when I need to do more, I use remote desktop.

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #116 of 121
Just got done reading this thread...very informative, and timely as I have just ordered an ATV for use as a music transport. I was also interested to see what DACs people are using. I'm considering the PS Audio Digital Link III, especially after I move to separates & will have a analog pre-amp instead of a AVR w/ a internal DAC (I don't want to use the ATV's analog output, I'm pretty sure). Thanks to all for sharing your impressions.

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #117 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I can take my laptop on the road (or turn it off or reload the OS because it's $#^@*#$* windows) and my wife can still listen to a ton of tunes on the hard drive.

I turn the TV off once I pick the first album. It does its random picks from there. Does the squeezebox do digital directly to optical output? To be honest, I never looked at it.

Coaxial. I've been trying to decide between an ATV or a Squeezebox Duet. The squeezebox is more expensive since I'll need either an ATV or ReadyNAS device to store my music and run Squeezecenter.

However, I hear that Coaxial yields better results than optical. Not needing a TV also a major advantage.

Then I need a DAC with variable output, since I don't have a pre-amp.

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #118 of 121
Long time reader - first time poster.

Quick question regarding the analog output of the ATV. I am currently using the analog output to feed a NAD 315 and then either a Sennheiser HD650 or Scandyna Minipods. Since so many people in this thread are complaining about the sound quality of the analog output of the ATV, I would like to ask if there is really a noticeable quality increase if using a DAC (let's say a ~500$ DAC). I am mostly listening to 320kbps MP3s or Apple Lossless. Would it even "improve" the sound quality of my MP3s ? Any input / experience appreciated.

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #119 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by IListenToMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long time reader - first time poster.

Quick question regarding the analog output of the ATV. I am currently using the analog output to feed a NAD 315 and then either a Sennheiser HD650 or Scandyna Minipods. Since so many people in this thread are complaining about the sound quality of the analog output of the ATV, I would like to ask if there is really a noticeable quality increase if using a DAC (let's say a ~500$ DAC). I am mostly listening to 320kbps MP3s or Apple Lossless. Would it even "improve" the sound quality of my MP3s ? Any input / experience appreciated.

Can't speak for everyone but on my system the optical out to the Integra
which use Wolfson DAC'S is a lot better than the 2-ch analog audio.

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #120 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by IListenToMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since so many people in this thread are complaining about the sound quality of the analog output of the ATV...

I just reread the thread and I haven't found *anybody* really complaining about the sound quality of ATV analog. It's not a good thing to make unfounded statements like that 'cause the next guy is going to take it on faith that you read everthing and that it's so, repeat it, etc. It evolves to ATV generally stinks, and it becomes a common yet unwarranted view of the ATV.

Nevertheless, given the choice I'd pick optical over analog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back