Apple TV as music source
Oct 22, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #91 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No such DAC exists, except my Spoiler, which has a true reclocker, the Pace-Car mounted internally.

These tricks inside DAC's are simply PLL's that track the incoming clock and attempt to reduce jitter, which they do to some extent. However, they are all sensitive to jitter and introduce their own jitter. The Pace-Car is the only device that is totally insensitive to ANY incoming jitter. The difference is immediately audible in my system. I have modded many of the DAC's that claim jitter on the inputs does not matter (Benchmark, Bel Canto, Dodson 217, 218, Bremen, Electrocompaniet, Perpetual Tech., dAck!, Meridian, MSB, EAD, Theta, Audio Note, Northstar and others). Trust me, it matters.

Steve N.

Steve:

No offense, but this reads more like advertising copy than anything else. You are properly identified as an MOT, which is cool, but are you honestly trying to claim your DAC is the only one that actually re-clocks the data? That definitely is at odds with MANY descriptions of DAC designs that I have read about.

I am no audio engineer, but I have been reading about DAC design casually for almost 20 years. Your claim just doesn't jive with what I've read.

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #92 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve:

No offense, but this reads more like advertising copy than anything else. You are properly identified as an MOT, which is cool, but are you honestly trying to claim your DAC is the only one that actually re-clocks the data? That definitely is at odds with MANY descriptions of DAC designs that I have read about.

I am no audio engineer, but I have been reading about DAC design casually for almost 20 years. Your claim just doesn't jive with what I've read.

My point is that you cannot believe everything you read. Most of this copy is written by marketing types, not engineers. Sometimes even the engineers get carried away with their claims. They even believe their own claims because their systems and methods of measurement are just not good enough.

The web is full of bogus claims from people just trying to sell that maximum amount to make the most money they can in the shortest time. It's all about greed and egos.

None of these things motivate me. I am all about advancing the state of the art, so that audiophiles can have a more emotionally satisfying experience listening to music.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #94 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by aarathi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of apple TV as a music source You can use Ipode.Many musics are stored in this Ipode. You can carry this Ipode in anywhere.

Yes... thanks for that...
blink.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #96 of 121
The ATV, if you own a good DAC, is a much better choice than the iPod. Plus, when I got my 160gb ATV, the 160gb iPod wasn't available.

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #97 of 121
Quote:

The ATV, if you own a good DAC, is a much better choice than the iPod. Plus, when I got my 160gb ATV, the 160gb iPod wasn't available.

That and cover flow looks great on a 19" LCD! LOL!

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #99 of 121
Couple of questions:

With a remote control like this one:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...213&adid=17662

would work with an ATV? The idea would be to use it exclusively as a stationary ipod-like music source. I am a big fan of the optical out of the mac.

Comments?

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #100 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couple of questions:

With a remote control like this one:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...213&adid=17662

would work with an ATV? The idea would be to use it exclusively as a stationary ipod-like music source. I am a big fan of the optical out of the mac.

Comments?

You would have to have OS X running for it to work (using some of the hacks I mentioned earlier), but other than that there's no reason it wouldn't work.

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #101 of 121
Everything is finally here! Putting the system together tonight!

Final Config:

19"LCD BENQ HDTV
160GB APPLE TV
Monarchy DIP
Meridian 203 DAC
RSA RAPTOR
DT990 (600ohms)

Cables:

Cardas HDMI
Dayton Pro Optical
Custom Moon Audio Coaxial
CZ GEL RCA Interconnects
ALO Power Cable

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #102 of 121
Awesome! Looking forward to hearing about the results
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #103 of 121
Quote:

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing about the results
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Sky, Go MSN tonight if you can so we can chat. I may need help!!

Did you read what Monarchy said in my upsample post?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=268297

I was getting some varied answers inregard to using the Monarchy in the Chain or just go straight to DAC.

Of course I will try it both ways but what they said sounds very encouraging.

When the baby is a sleep the tiny music elves will be BUILDING!!!!!!

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #105 of 121
Wow! Awesome to see an image of your new setup!

Can I ask you to list the components? Familiar with most but not all...

So, how does it sound? all you had hoped for? Have you done any mods on the Apple TV? Have you found any limitations or little things that aren't so good from a practicality point of view?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am seriously looking into this and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Looks great BTW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back