Apple TV as music source
Jul 7, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #61 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may be a little awkward and complicated to set up, but I don't see why it wouldn't work and as the whole chain is digital until it gets to the DAC, the SC should be the same as if it was going from ATV > DAC > Amp.

Am I correct about this?

Unfortunately not. The audio signal doesn't travel through ethernet (wireless or standard drops); only through HDMI, toslink or the RCA jacks. Ethernet is only used to sync the iTunes on your laptop with the ATV (and browse libraries on other servers on the network).

The files reside on your PC for you to sync them to the ATV. If you delete a track on your PC, it deletes it on the ATV.

Now, on your laptop, you could browse over to the ATV library and play it through itunes on your laptop, but if the tracks are already on your harddisk, you could play them through your local library. You can't play from the ATV over to the PC directly, only through the HDMI, toslink, or RCA jacks.

Clearer?

Oct 14, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #62 of 121
I am about to finally make the last few purchases necessary to complete and Apple TV Music Server [size=xx-small]ala[/size] SKYLAB!

I intend on having this in my bedroom for use strickly with my new headphone amp on the way (RSA SILVER RAPTOR)

I have been looking into DACS because I will definately go optical out to a DAC then to the RAPTOR.

I simply can not decide which DAC to get???

After speaking with SKYLAB the other day I think his advice to try a Benchmark DAC-1 is probably sound advise as they have great reviews as well as great re-sale value and appeal in the event that it is just not my taste. I also have a chance to try an Ack Dack for much lower cost but this will need a converter because it offers no direct Toshlink optical in.
mad.gif
I still may go that route if I cant find a deal on a Benchmark!

I won a 19" HDTV LCD at work so the system will most likely finalize like this:

APPLE TV/LCD TV>BENCHMARK DAC-1>RSA RAPTOR>DT990 [size=xx-small](600ohms)[/size]

I will post pics as it comes together. I need to find a nice silver Benchmark DAC-1 non usb so if anyone sees one for a good value send me a PM.

PS OH YEAH! I will be sending the APPLE TV to ColorwraePC.com to convert it to a nice shiny silver! LOL!!

Thanks for the help Sky!

Oct 14, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #63 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will post pics as it comes together.

Yes please!

Oct 14, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #65 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am hoping apple will do more with it after 10.5 is out its dormant
right now which is unusual for them.

Im sure there will be updates all around when leopard is here which is supposed to be end of this month.

I dont get not have HD content available for it. But I doubt that I will use it for movies unless I can get a way to wirelessly stream from 1 TV to another without buying two of them.

Oct 14, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #66 of 121
Thought I would add a little info for those wondering why you would buy an Apple TV instead of a squeezebox or other cheaper device.

The main reason for me is that the Apple TV is a computer. It is really a compact version of the Mac Mini. It can be made to run full version OSX, can run a web browser, plug in an external drive, iTunes... in fact it can do anything most Macs can do (really only limited by its specs - 1Ghz processor, 256Mb 400MHz DDR2 SDRAM).

For me, this is a huge reason to try the ATV as a source over most other devices, especially given that these hacks can be applied for free!

Oct 15, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #69 of 121
Using a Mac Mini for this same purpose isn't too hard. It's not much more money, and it's an entire computer. I have one with a 500GB external hard drive and use it exclusively as a music server.

With a Mac Mini you can use the Salling Clicker to control your iTunes library without even having a display, keyboard, or mouse attached. That's what I use.

Oct 15, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #70 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using a Mac Mini for this same purpose isn't too hard. It's not much more money, and it's an entire computer. I have one with a 500GB external hard drive and use it exclusively as a music server.

With a Mac Mini you can use the Salling Clicker to control your iTunes library without even having a display, keyboard, or mouse attached. That's what I use.

How is your system configured? What output are you using from the mac mini? USB?

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #72 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USB, although I have the option for both. It also has mini-Toslink.

Interesting idea. Mini Toshlink would work for my application. So I gain a full computer. What do I loose this way. I would prefer to have access to my main imac library via wi-fi. hmmmm

A friend had found smoe new mac minis pretty cheap less then 400 with 2gb ram and big HD!

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #74 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting idea. Mini Toshlink would work for my application. So I gain a full computer. What do I loose this way. I would prefer to have access to my main imac library via wi-fi. hmmmm

A friend had found smoe new mac minis pretty cheap less then 400 with 2gb ram and big HD!

Yeah you don't need the latest Core 2 Duo Mac Mini to handle a music server. If you're hooked up to a display, you can simply share music over iTunes from the iMac, it's a built-in feature and has been since iTunes 4 I believe.

Also, you can stack your mini on top of a Firewire Hard Drive, and have all of your music in one place. They aren't very expensive for how many gigabytes you're getting, and they won't take up any more footprint than the mini itself!

All of the Intel Mac Minis and many of the G4s have Front Row ready to go as well, so a somewhat dumbed-down version of the AppleTV interface is already on there, and they come with a remote as well.

I love it. Using Salling Clicker is the coolest thing ever if you have a compatible cell phone or pda. You have full access to every feature of iTunes through your cell phone. And you can also have access to Windows Media Player, VLC, anything you want. You can even control the mouse on the screen with it. If your cell phone has a touchscreen, you can use the touchscreen as a trackpad for the computer!

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #75 of 121
I probably won't really want any keybaord or mouse with the rig so I am leaning toward a straight apple tv

I guess that company is working on an interface for blackberry. That is pretty cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back