Apple TV as music source
Jun 6, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #31 of 121
My pleasure.

So 24 hours later my Apple TV has filled about 70gb of its 144gb of space - the wireless sync, and the files being on an external on my PC, mean it takes a LONG time...

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #32 of 121
Oh well, I guess I'll be in those shoes shortly. The mac mini is on my desk. Why oh why isn't it quitting time?

Another random thought--if the iTunes library is greater than the capacity of ATV it syncs what it can and streams the rest from the iTunes server (assuming it is on).

Jun 6, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #33 of 121
Actually the ATV allows you to select what you SYNC to it, and then you can stream the rest.

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #34 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh well, I guess I'll be in those shoes shortly. The mac mini is on my desk. Why oh why isn't it quitting time?

Another random thought--if the iTunes library is greater than the capacity of ATV it syncs what it can and streams the rest from the iTunes server (assuming it is on).

When you use the ATV, you have to choose what source to use, either the local content on the HD or streaming from an iTunes library.

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #35 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the ATV allows you to select what you SYNC to it, and then you can stream the rest.

Didn't realize that. I had 50GB at the time and it chose for me until it filled up. Makes sense though to be able to pick and choose.

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #37 of 121
Quote:

My pleasure.

So 24 hours later my Apple TV has filled about 70gb of its 144gb of space - the wireless sync, and the files being on an external on my PC, mean it takes a LONG time...

I put about 60gb on my appletv in about 2 hrs. I use the ethernet connection. Big difference.

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #38 of 121
this is a cool thread, I had hesitated to get the apple tv because of its inability to play non-iTunes video (I guess I'll try handbrake), its audio out (I guess I'll play with more DACs soon), and its price versus squeezebox+external HD. also, I already have too many computers sitting around not to use them also for music. but perhaps this is worth trying after all! just have to work around the need for a screen for setup.

Jul 3, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #39 of 121
I continue to enjoy the Apple TV as a media server. It works far better than I thought, and it's so cheap compared to other media server options. Sound quality from the digital output is definitely comparable to that of the digital output of my DVD player when both are feeding the DACs in my Rotel pre/pro.

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #40 of 121
Quote:

I continue to enjoy the Apple TV as a media server. It works far better than I thought, and it's so cheap compared to other media server options. Sound quality from the digital output is definitely comparable to that of the digital output of my DVD player when both are feeding the DACs in my Rotel pre/pro.

Sick Idea Sky would have never thought of it.

Im would love to do this but using a mid grade Yamaha dolby dig reciever for the home system since I mostly use it for movies etc.

What would be a decent DAC without overspending for the amp.

Suggestions? Pricies?

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #41 of 121
out of curiosity, is the apple tv a "g" or a "n" unit?

second out of curiosity, can you use the usb port to access a usb drive?

third out of curiosity, can you use a "simple stupid" lappy hooked up wirelessly to control it, or do you always have to go through the tv?

i'm currently using a (very recently acquired, thanks to positive comments from head-fiers) airport express linked as a client to an airport extreme network, but soon after the day that apple starts to rent movies (especially if the rumored "real hd" comes to pass), i'm going to replace the express with an apple tv... it would be nice to have some music "right there", rather than always having to stream it...

fwiw, sq from the existing setup (feeding my anthem avm30) is equivalent (at first blush, anyway) to the pio dv59... i'd expect that it wouldn't change using the apple tv interface...

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #42 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccotenj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
out of curiosity, is the apple tv a "g" or a "n" unit?

Specs say it supports both.

Quote:

second out of curiosity, can you use the usb port to access a usb drive?

You can boot off of the USB port but I haven't tried hooking up a USB drive to see if it can be extended. The docs don't mention it but good idea. I'm thinking it requires a OSX formatted drive and the program may only look at the one partition.

Quote:

third out of curiosity, can you use a "simple stupid" lappy hooked up wirelessly to control it, or do you always have to go through the tv?

A TV is pretty much required to control it unless you are capable of hacking into it with SSH and figure out a cli command to run the app from.

Quote:

soon after the day that apple starts to rent movies (especially if the rumored "real hd" comes to pass), i'm going to replace the express with an apple tv... it would be nice to have some music "right there", rather than always having to stream it...

I'm not overly impressed with the video but I'm stuck with component connections as my DVD owns the HDMI port.

Quote:

fwiw, sq from the existing setup (feeding my anthem avm30) is equivalent (at first blush, anyway) to the pio dv59... i'd expect that it wouldn't change using the apple tv interface...

I have mine hooked up to an avm20 and it sounds great.

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #43 of 121
thanks for the input...
smily_headphones1.gif

from what i've been able to gather, not many people are impressed with the video, so it remains to be seen what apple is going to do about that... rumors abound...

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #44 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccotenj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the input...
smily_headphones1.gif

from what i've been able to gather, not many people are impressed with the video, so it remains to be seen what apple is going to do about that... rumors abound...

anytime, I'm full of .... opinions
tongue.gif

Yeah, I think they are going to have to do something about the video to capture the market they are after and get the video sales. I just don't see that happening in that small footprint the ATV has. To me, its a perfect independent, stationary jukebox for the TV room.

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #45 of 121
ok guys I got a 160 gb appletv, which I love. Im running it out using the optical out into a panny sa-xr45 digial receiver. would a dac give it better sound. don't get me wrong it sounds really good using the optical out. i was looking at hi-fi digital audio super pro usb dac707 from dyikits.com. is this good for the price? is there anything better for around $100usd?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back