Apple Music (so near yet so far)
Sep 8, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #16 of 21
not sure if someone brought it up yet, but i saw a different thread about someone using a lighting to USB female and connecting external DAC. If you go this route make sure to buy the cable directly from apple because 3rd party cable wont be recognized as USB

Sep 12, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #18 of 21
New airpods rumored have hi res
It really is amazing how long Apple refused to embrace hi res. During the Steve Jobs era they were at the forefront in many ways. They've opted for a far less aggressive approach for a while now. I never understood it, as hi res supporting hardware and such would have been a marginal uptick in production costs. The flip-side is that it would have given Apple users more reason to grab a new iPhone, for example.

Sep 12, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #19 of 21
It really is amazing how long Apple refused to embrace hi res.
Why is it “amazing”? Apple have known (as have the other commercial streaming services) for roughly 20 years there’s no audible difference with hi-res, so why’s it amazing that they wouldn’t have implemented formats which make no audible difference but require many times the data bandwidth and storage? The only reason they might have implemented hi-res is the point at which such a significant number of potential consumers believed the false audiophile marketing that it would seriously affect sales if they didn’t follow the hi-res bandwagon and even then, Apple are famous for not “following the band wagon” and doing it their own way if they don’t see a practical benefit, even if it costs them sales.

So it would have been “really amazing” if they had embraced hi-res!

G

Sep 12, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #20 of 21
So, they believed it was fake and still do... but now realized there's money to be made?

I agree that a great deal of people can't discern between hifi and lofi. I certainly can hear the difference in hires.

You are correct about bandwidth and storage (back in the day). Both have increased to the point where it's not such an issue anymore.

Apple has relied upon miniscule model upgrades to bring customers in for a new phone/iPod. Hires was an tangible upgrade, even if the audience was small. However, they have been addressing that market for a while, just not the audiophile end. The fact is tons of people have embraced higher end audio in recent years, as evidenced by the amount of people walking around wearing nices cans.

Apple no longer is a trailblazer. I have Apple products. I'm just pointing out their business model changed.

Sep 12, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #21 of 21
So, they believed it was fake and still do... but now realized there's money to be made?
Of course, they’ll only implement something if they think they can make money from it.
I agree that a great deal of people can't discern between hifi and lofi.
I don’t agree with that though. I believe the vast majority of people can tell the difference between low fidelity and high fidelity, although it depends on exactly how low fidelity we’re talking about. However, that’s not really the question here as standard res, say 16/44.1 is exactly the same level of fidelity as hi res (within the audible spectrum).

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back