Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
May 19, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #106 of 871
I trying to find my Apple lightning to 3.5 adapter to see if I can figure out it's capabilities. I suspect it's 24/48.

So I found the Apple lightning to 3.5 mm adapter. Both Roon and Amazon music are reporting 24/48 as the device capabilities.

May 19, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #107 of 871
So I found the Apple lightning to 3.5 mm adapter. Both Roon and Amazon music are reporting 24/48 as the device capabilities.

My iFi iDSD Black Label does 24/96 when connected directly to my Mac. Anything higher than that, the music distorts terribly.

May 19, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #108 of 871
My iFi iDSD Black Label does 24/96 when connected directly to my Mac. Anything higher than that, the music distorts terribly.

I was able to get 24/192 out of my Fiio BTR5 in USB mode using the Apple CCK and USB-C cable. One advantage to this setup is that the BTR5 has it's own battery so perhaps it will minimize draining the iPhone.

May 20, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #110 of 871
that fits with what I’ve read of the lightning dac downsampling to 24/48. I wonder if iOS 14.6 will change that restriction. I’m sure the chipset in the adapter is capable of 24/192

May 20, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #111 of 871
I assume the windows 10 app will have lossless playback? I get apple music free with verizon and currently use deezer. It would be nice to save $15 a month!

May 20, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #112 of 871
I assume the windows 10 app will have lossless playback? I get apple music free with verizon and currently use deezer. It would be nice to save $15 a month!
I’ve read no reports regarding the Windows app, yet. But it would be insane not to support full lossless with Windows imo.

May 20, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #113 of 871
I’ve read no reports regarding the Windows app, yet. But it would be insane not to support full lossless with Windows imo.
Wouldn't surprise me that much tbh. Dealing with anything Apple-related on a Windows machine has always been a nightmare, which means they either don't care or purposefully keep the experience on a competing platform as unpleasant as permissible.

May 21, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #114 of 871
Wouldn't surprise me that much tbh. Dealing with anything Apple-related on a Windows machine has always been a nightmare, which means they either don't care or purposefully keep the experience on a competing platform as unpleasant as permissible.
I’m not an Apple fanboy but I’ll have to disagree on that. Apple’s strategy is moving more and more into services, rather than just hardware/OS. I don’t have any experience regarding Apple on Windows (at least not for the last 10 years or so…). But the Android version for example works just as the iPhone version and is confirmed to support lossless.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #115 of 871
I’m not an Apple fanboy but I’ll have to disagree on that. Apple’s strategy is moving more and more into services, rather than just hardware/OS. I don’t have any experience regarding Apple on Windows (at least not for the last 10 years or so…). But the Android version for example works just as the iPhone version and is confirmed to support lossless.
I use an iPhone, Macbook M1, and I also have a well-specced Windows desktop PC for gaming/music, so I have a very direct and clear comparison of how their apps work and what they look like on Apple devices and on Windows.

iTunes on Windows is outdated, heavy, and extremely sluggish. Using Apple Music through iTunes is hands down the worst experience out of all the possible streaming services out there. I wish Apple would spend some of their resources on providing their Windows-based clientele with an experience worthy of a multi-billion company, but the reality is that they're treating the MS platform like a red-headed stepchild.

May 21, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #116 of 871
I use an iPhone, Macbook M1, and I also have a well-specced Windows desktop PC for gaming/music, so I have a very direct and clear comparison of how their apps work and what they look like on Apple devices and on Windows.

iTunes on Windows is outdated, heavy, and extremely sluggish. Using Apple Music through iTunes is hands down the worst experience out of all the possible streaming services out there. I wish Apple would spend some of their resources on providing their Windows-based clientele with an experience worthy of a multi-billion company, but the reality is that they're treating the MS platform like a red-headed stepchild.

I'm not sure about Spotify but Tidal is built on ElectronJS. its a light weight html, css, js framework and thats why Tidal is so fast. I don't know which is used to build iTunes. My guess on the UX is its built on Java as that has poor sluggish UI elements. I have seen similar UI elements in Java similar to iTunes. It will hardly take 1 or 2 months for big company like Apple to rebuild this but they won't do it

May 21, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #117 of 871

I remember it was just like that when I owned my last Windows machine over a decade ago. I think I went 100% Apple in 2009 or 2010.

That is really unfortunate, I thought they vastly improved their Windows app by now. Hopefully lossless will work on Windows. Fingers crossed!

May 22, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #118 of 871

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183

Apple support states here the dongle is limited to 24/48 so to get higher resolution we are going to need to use a third party DAC. That is unless Apple release a high res version. Seems crazy they’ve made listening to high res so difficult for the average user!

May 22, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #119 of 871
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183

Apple support states here the dongle is limited to 24/48 so to get higher resolution we are going to need to use a third party DAC. That is unless Apple release a high res version. Seems crazy they’ve made listening to high res so difficult for the average user!
I'm sure they will have Apple-branded (and priced), future accessories for maximizing the listening experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back