Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
May 18, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #78 of 871
May 18, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #79 of 871
Another update: Dolby Atmos / Spatial Audio will not be available on the Android version of Apple Music at start. Makes sense, as the AirPods don’t offer all features on Android devices like phones or DAPs.

Lossless streaming, on the other hand, will be available also on Android from Day1!

Macrumors:

It's not clear exactly why Dolby Atmos won't be available for ‌Apple Music‌ users on Android when it launches, but it could be due to the lack of control Apple has over the handset and tablet hardware used, or perhaps rollout could come later. On the flip side, however, the higher quality Lossless audio streaming tier that Apple announced this week will be available on Apple Music for Android.
I wonder if Apple will be able to use direct mode on those android devices that support it, bypassing androids handling of the audio to give hit perfect playback in the same way UAPP does. They’re certainly capable of it, I wonder if they’ll chose to do it tho.

May 18, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #80 of 871
I wonder if Apple will be able to use direct mode on those android devices that support it, bypassing androids handling of the audio to give hit perfect playback in the same way UAPP does. They’re certainly capable of it, I wonder if they’ll chose to do it tho.

If they do, then Android devices will be able to do what no Apple device can, currently. That doesn't really sound like something Apple would do, but we can hope. Can you imagine the news stories: "Android phones play Apple Music better than iPhones".... :sunglasses:

May 18, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #81 of 871
How does bypassing the Android audio system work exactly? I'm looking at finally switching to Android from IOS (from an iPhone X to the Sony Xperia 1 III) does using the headphone jack on the phone still get sampled? I use Deezer do UAPP is kinda useless.

Am I going to basically have to suffer with worse audio quality than my iPhone? I just wanna switch over before Apple goes portless, as I refuse to use bluetooth.

May 18, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #82 of 871
If they do, then Android devices will be able to do what no Apple device can, currently. That doesn't really sound like something Apple would do, but we can hope. Can you imagine the news stories: "Android phones play Apple Music better than iPhones".... :sunglasses:

Can you compare sound quality between apple music and uapp? I am using Oneplus 6. I purchased a song from itunes and then played it via UAPP (using direct mode) and I played the same song in Apple Music. I felt the sound quality in Apple music is same as UAPP if not better. But I'm not sure if Apple Music is using direct mode

Another difference I noticed is, If I change equalizer in Oneplus 6 Audio Tuner options I can notice considerable difference in sound signature in UAPP, Spotify, Youtube Music but very subtle difference in Apple Music. Does this indicate anything?

May 19, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #83 of 871
So I just checked my Amazon HD account - and it's now $9.99 a month ($14.99 for the family plan).

Funny - I love the Amazon catalog, especially their classical, but I find the PC UI and suggestions are just mediocre. I *almost* signed up for a Tidal free trial yesterday, with plans to jump ship...glad I didn't!

Now, if Amazon gets to work and really improves the UI and the suggestions on their Windows App, I'll stay forever. But I will definitely be demoing Apple Music and Spotify HiFi when their lossless products hit. Exciting times!

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #84 of 871
This probably covers things people have been wondering already, but here's my list of questions about what Apple are offering:

May 19, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #85 of 871
So I guess I need to start thinking about an iPhone compatible DAC dongle that supports 24/192. MQA would be nice as well (still using Tidal for now). Any suggestions to investigate? I know that Dragonfly DACs top out at 24/96 so not quite there.

May 19, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #86 of 871
So I guess I need to start thinking about an iPhone compatible DAC dongle that supports 24/192. MQA would be nice as well (still using Tidal for now). Any suggestions to investigate? I know that Dragonfly DACs top out at 24/96 so not quite there.

Did you notice your post count? The Devil has possessed your mind!

May 19, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #87 of 871
May 19, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #88 of 871
Zorloo Ztella checks all your boxes, also does DSD. There is a lighting version, but it never worked for me, so I plug it into the CCK, and then into my iPhone.

May 19, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #89 of 871
Zorloo Ztella checks all your boxes, also does DSD. There is a lighting version, but it never worked for me, so I plug it into the CCK, and then into my iPhone.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

May 19, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #90 of 871
I can recommend the Hidizs S9. This thing is a beast. I am using it on my iPhone and I think it sounds even better than my SE200. This thing is a miracle, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back