Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
May 19, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #91 of 871
For those asking about direct mode and how it works, here is how it works on the Sony NW-A105 courtesy of a Sony engineer (found somewhere online sorry I didn’t note the source).

Apple Music on android absolutely does not use direct mode, the giveaway is if I reduce media volume I lose Apple Music playback. On the Walkman UAPP/Walkman apps are noticeably better than Apple Music.

this graphic shows the direct route in red and indirect / android route in purple.

I’m not a software engineer so don’t understand exactly how UAPP goes direct but believe it’s something to do with audio stream flags. Same for MQA, DSD etc, where supported.

note on Sony Walkman you can choose in system to use high res streaming in which case all purple audio channels are upscalled to 32bit 192khz. This still goes via the android path tho. There is a noticeable audio benefit to going direct, IMO opinion it’s is much clearer with a wider soundstage. Hope this is interesting to some other geek and not just me

57603459-6CAB-4B0F-9CF9-95159628F7A6.jpeg

May 19, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #92 of 871
So I guess I need to start thinking about an iPhone compatible DAC dongle that supports 24/192. MQA would be nice as well (still using Tidal for now). Any suggestions to investigate? I know that Dragonfly DACs top out at 24/96 so not quite there.
L&P W2? Pretty sure it supports 24/192 (tho finding that quality even on qobuz is really rare).

May 19, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #93 of 871
L&P W2? Pretty sure it supports 24/192 (tho finding that quality even on qobuz is really rare).

Yeah, I was looking at that as well as the Lotoo PAW S1, among others. I did not realize there were so many out there. I've been mainly in the DAP world lately.

Wonder if Apple will release a lightning to 3.5 mm adapter with 24/192 support in the near future? That would kinda make sense.

May 19, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #94 of 871
Yeah, I was looking at that as well as the Lotoo PAW S1, among others. I did not realize there were so many out there. I've been mainly in the DAP world lately.

Wonder if Apple will release a lightning to 3.5 mm adapter with 24/192 support in the near future? That would kinda make sense.
Yea the dongle market as definitely blown up! I dunno if Apple will - it targets such a small market and goes against their philosophy of going all wireless. But who knows if having lossless tempts them to try selling something.

May 19, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #95 of 871
For those asking about direct mode and how it works, here is how it works on the Sony NW-A105 courtesy of a Sony engineer (found somewhere online sorry I didn’t note the source).

Apple Music on android absolutely does not use direct mode, the giveaway is if I reduce media volume I lose Apple Music playback. On the Walkman UAPP/Walkman apps are noticeably better than Apple Music.

this graphic shows the direct route in red and indirect / android route in purple.

I’m not a software engineer so don’t understand exactly how UAPP goes direct but believe it’s something to do with audio stream flags. Same for MQA, DSD etc, where supported.

note on Sony Walkman you can choose in system to use high res streaming in which case all purple audio channels are upscalled to 32bit 192khz. This still goes via the android path tho. There is a noticeable audio benefit to going direct, IMO opinion it’s is much clearer with a wider soundstage. Hope this is interesting to some other geek and not just me

57603459-6CAB-4B0F-9CF9-95159628F7A6.jpeg
So I should probably just stick with iPhones for the best native sound quality? UAPP is awful and I can't stand it. Plus I can't have Apple music or Deezer go through it. Or can you really hear the difference practically.

May 19, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #96 of 871
So I guess I need to start thinking about an iPhone compatible DAC dongle that supports 24/192. MQA would be nice as well (still using Tidal for now). Any suggestions to investigate? I know that Dragonfly DACs top out at 24/96 so not quite there.
if you're looking for a dongle the thx/razer onyx might fit the bill; goes up to 32/384

May 19, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #97 of 871
So I should probably just stick with iPhones for the best native sound quality? UAPP is awful and I can't stand it. Plus I can't have Apple music or Deezer go through it. Or can you really hear the difference practically.
I prefer how UAPP sounds for local files and Tidal streaming over Apple Music but I’m itching to hear what improvements Apple are about to bring. I’m hoping the Apple lightning to 3.5mm adapter is up to the job. Lots of mixed info online regarding its capabilities. Some say 24/192 others say downsamples everything to 24/48. I think the wife will murder me if I buy a dedicated DAC to use with the iPhone too. She already thinks I’m insane.

as a side note Apple Music IMO has by far the best UI of all the major music services and fantastic algorithms for discovering new stuff. UAPP is clunky and Tidal’s suggestions are terrible

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #98 of 871
I prefer how UAPP sounds for local files and Tidal streaming over Apple Music but I’m itching to hear what improvements Apple are about to bring. I’m hoping the Apple lightning to 3.5mm adapter is up to the job. Lots of mixed info online regarding its capabilities. Some say 24/192 others say downsamples everything to 24/48. I think the wife will murder me if I buy a dedicated DAC to use with the iPhone too. She already thinks I’m insane.

as a side note Apple Music IMO has by far the best UI of all the major music services and fantastic algorithms for discovering new stuff. UAPP is clunky and Tidal’s suggestions are terrible

I trying to find my Apple lightning to 3.5 adapter to see if I can figure out it's capabilities. I suspect it's 24/48.

May 19, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #99 of 871

Maybe I'll see how the 13 Pro Max is. As long as it still has a lightning port, maybe I'll pick one up, and use it for the next 4-5 years like my X. And evaluate what to do after those 5 or so years. When it comes to OS I actually heavily dislike both IOS and Android. They both have their pros, but the cons on each one drive me to not want either one, so sticking with IOS wouldn't matter to me. I just want my god damn lightning port for wired earphones.

May 19, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #101 of 871
Anyone know if Apple Music has UPnP abilities? I need to be able to stream to a Pi box.
Not as far as I am aware

EDIT: If you want to stream from iOS/Mac, you can install shairport-sync on your Raspberry Pi, to receive Airplay over network.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #105 of 871
This is unfortunate. I don't mind 16/44 but I don't want higher res stuff getting resampled. Dang it.
Airplay is faster than any Bluetooth. So full speed is good, but limited to the LAN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back