Apple Music  Now with lossless high-res and spatial audio
May 26, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #121 of 871
I’m pretty excited and I’m thinking about taking a look at this:

https://www.belkin.com/us/adapters/...nect-audio-adapter-with-airplay-2/p/p-auz002/

I’m thinking I could run this off of a battery and stream lossless/hires Airplay 2 to it and run optical out of it which should be a pretty low noise streaming option. I don’t really have a large library of local files so this kind of setup may work well for me. I have a Pi2AES but this audio adapter seems like a nice simplified option and even if I don’t replace the Pi2AES in my main setup I can already think of a use for it somewhere else.

May 26, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #122 of 871
I’m pretty excited and I’m thinking about taking a look at this:

https://www.belkin.com/us/adapters/...nect-audio-adapter-with-airplay-2/p/p-auz002/

I’m thinking I could run this off of a battery and stream lossless/hires Airplay 2 to it and run optical out of it which should be a pretty low noise streaming option. I don’t really have a large library of local files so this kind of setup may work well for me. I have a Pi2AES but this audio adapter seems like a nice simplified option and even if I don’t replace the Pi2AES in my main setup I can already think of a use for it somewhere else.

I don't believe Airplay 2 goes above 24/44.1 (or is it 24/48?) in it's current form. Maybe that will change.

May 26, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #123 of 871
Yeah I think it can do 24/48 and then apple released a support document in the past week saying Airplay doesn’t currently support higher resolution so people think it may be coming during WWDC because they didn’t have to put the word currently but we’ll see.

I definitely would wait and see how that goes though (this is still pre order too) but I think I could still find a use for it even if it is just lossless but I do think they will roll out an update. The theory is it looked bad to roll everything out while they were making arguments in the Epic case so that was why the rollout seemed so disjointed (I think that was Prosser that said that so it was a rumor but it makes sense to me) and they plan to outline things in WWDC which is coming so we should hopefully know in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #124 of 871
Yeah I think it can do 24/48 and then apple released a support document in the past week saying Airplay doesn’t currently support higher resolution so people think it may be coming during WWDC because they didn’t have to put the word currently but we’ll see.

I definitely would wait and see how that goes though (this is still pre order too) but I think I could still find a use for it even if it is just lossless but I do think they will roll out an update. The theory is it looked bad to roll everything out while they were making arguments in the Epic case so that was why the rollout seemed so disjointed (I think that was Prosser that said that so it was a rumor but it makes sense to me) and they plan to outline things in WWDC which is coming so we should hopefully know in a couple weeks.

I have been thinking about a dongle DAC for high resolution listening from an iPhone but I don't like the extra battery drain. That's one of the reasons I went to a DAP in the first place... It's probably best to wait and see what shakes out (as you said)...

May 27, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #125 of 871
I don't believe Airplay 2 goes above 24/44.1 (or is it 24/48?) in it's current form. Maybe that will change.
One of Forbes product reviews for B&W speaker mentions Airplay being 24-bit 44.1 kHz.

However, one of Apple's WWDC slides actually states support for 48 kHz as well, but I have never seen that done in the wild.

Screenshot 2021-05-27 at 10.35.32.png

May 27, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #126 of 871
I have been thinking about a dongle DAC for high resolution listening from an iPhone but I don't like the extra battery drain. That's one of the reasons I went to a DAP in the first place... It's probably best to wait and see what shakes out (as you said)...
Doesn’t your Q5s come with its own battery? There are also smaller solutions like the Qudelix 5k that brings its own battery and also a world class EQ Software through iPhone app.

May 27, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #127 of 871
Doesn’t your Q5s come with its own battery? There are also smaller solutions like the Qudelix 5k that brings its own battery and also a world class EQ Software through iPhone app.

Yes, I have a Q5s and use it with my old iPhone, it's simply a big, heavy beast for portable use. I also have a 5k and it's limited to 24/96, same as my Dragonfly. Perhaps I don't really need more hardware... but that's how this hobby seems to work, at least for me... :relaxed:

May 27, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #128 of 871
I have a Qudelix 5K, SE100 (2 of them!) + Sony 507 DAP

I plan to quit them all for a dongle DAC & trailing cables mess on my iPhone 12 plus max

THX Onyx DAC
and
Luxury & Precision W2 DAC

on order - will see which wins the shoot out.

I have 3.5 and 4.4 cables for my Empire Ear Nemesis iems.

I can’t use stock iems (I had to have a custom pair made)

so to take phone calls it will be a real pain trying winkle an iem out of my ear. (They fit so tight)

lord knows how battery life will go. (But I am near power most times)

with my luck the return dates on these DACs will time out and Apple will come out with its own DAC that works great!

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #129 of 871
I have a Qudelix 5K, SE100 (2 of them!) + Sony 507 DAP

I plan to quit them all for a dongle DAC & trailing cables mess on my iPhone 12 plus max

THX Onyx DAC
and
Luxury & Precision W2 DAC

on order - will see which wins the shoot out.

I have 3.5 and 4.4 cables for my Empire Ear Nemesis iems.

I can’t use stock iems (I had to have a custom pair made)

so to take phone calls it will be a real pain trying winkle an iem out of my ear. (They fit so tight)

lord knows how battery life will go. (But I am near power most times)

with my luck the return dates on these DACs will time out and Apple will come out with its own DAC that works great!

At least the iPhone 12 Max has a really big battery! Maybe the hit on battery life won't be too bad.

May 27, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #130 of 871
At least the iPhone 12 Max has a really big battery! Maybe the hit on battery life won't be too bad.
Zakley! My thoughts entirely!

May 28, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #131 of 871
Yes, I have a Q5s and use it with my old iPhone, it's simply a big, heavy beast for portable use. I also have a 5k and it's limited to 24/96, same as my Dragonfly. Perhaps I don't really need more hardware... but that's how this hobby seems to work, at least for me... :relaxed:
True, I just checked. I am using the Hidizs S9 currently pretty much 100% of the time since I sold off my A&K. The S9 can do up to 32/786 but of course, lacks its own battery. But it is really sleek and lightweight.

I made a couple phone calls yesterday + the usual iPhone use + listening to music with the S9 and I went to bed with around 10% battery. I guess if you really listen for hours and use the iPhone like most people do it will not survive a whole day without intermittent charging. But for me, thats ok as I have cables / QI chargers everywhere in the house, car, bag etc.

May 28, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #132 of 871
True, I just checked. I am using the Hidizs S9 currently pretty much 100% of the time since I sold off my A&K. The S9 can do up to 32/786 but of course, lacks its own battery. But it is really sleek and lightweight.

I made a couple phone calls yesterday + the usual iPhone use + listening to music with the S9 and I went to bed with around 10% battery. I guess if you really listen for hours and use the iPhone like most people do it will not survive a whole day without intermittent charging. But for me, thats ok as I have cables / QI chargers everywhere in the house, car, bag etc.

I have a BTR5 that I use for watching TV with headphones (it supports Aptx LL). It might actually be a good solution for Apple Lossless via USB with it's built-in battery and 32/384 support. I was also looking at the Hiby FC3 as a smaller option.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #133 of 871
May 31, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #134 of 871
I’d be very surprised if apple didn’t release a specific upgrade to the lightning/3.5 dongle to offer the 192/24 option - assuming they can’t fix the current 48/24 limit. They’re in the game to make money. This seems like an easy win. Plus, of course, some new voodoo AirPods.

Jun 1, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #135 of 871
I think I am good to go: for Spatial Audio I have now connected my laptop via HDMI to my OPPO-205 which processes Dolby ATMOS and outputs to my 5.1 analog preamp. The laptop has been configured in sound control panel to Dolby ATMOS. For lossless, I have connected my laptop via usb to my Parasound P6 DAC; and, I have set iTunes to output up to 24/192. This morning I expected Apple Music to have offerings of Spatial Audio, as well as lossless; but, I saw no such offerings upon opening iTunes this morning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back