Apple iPad is Offical
Jan 27, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #76 of 392
I still want it (Being a typical Apple fanboy
redface.gif
) I think that pricing is definitely reasonable, but not for the 3G versions. Blah! I hate carrying my MacBook around with me and have personally never liked netbooks. This is a device that's aimed at maybe a college/university student? They did go through iWorks in the presentation.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #77 of 392
how can this be for a student, its going to be a nightmare to type on, having to either carry a stand around with you or finding somewhere to prop it up so its at a comfortable viewing and typing angle wether with a seperate keyboard or not.

netbooks for the win for on campus work, this is full of fail.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #78 of 392
Yeah I suppose I am not disappointed but not excited in any way either. I really wonder about the target market. With:

1. NO Multi-tasking
  2. NO Expandability
  3. NO Network slot (ethernet) IIRC - it could then connect to your home server and serve high end movies via gigabyte connection
  4. Lower rez graphics
  5. Paying for a data plan even after having to pay to download the book
Even for $500USD -- it's like why spend it?? I do not see a call to action ... unless you do not own a iTouch or iPod and finally said "I'm going to take the plunge and buy an Apple product."
smily_headphones1.gif

Will this underwhelm like the AppleTV or become a boon like the iTouch? Maybe over time it (and upgrades) it will be great.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #80 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  1. NO Multi-tasking
  2. NO Expandability
  3. NO Network slot (ethernet) IIRC - it could then connect to your home server and serve high end movies via gigabyte connection
  4. Lower rez graphics
  5. Paying for a data plan even after having to pay to download the book

and NO Flash
ph34r.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #81 of 392
BTW I do not at all consider myself an Apple fanboy --- but I suppose I am -- I own
a Mac Pro (my home server)
a MacBook Pro
an iMac (for the kids)
an iPhone (for phone)
a Mac Mini (basically a client for my movie server)

But I still love PCs also--- and Windows7 is pretty c00l.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #83 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and NO Flash
ph34r.gif

Yeah -- what's up with that?? Is it a computer or not??? But I suppose since it's based on the iPhone O/S (which does not support Flash) -- this is what we have.

Here's to a new iPhone 4.0 O/S with improved sound quality
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Funny quote I read on another site.

"Isn't it great?" - No Steve, Its not great...at all bud. This is the most important thing you,ll [sic] have done in your career? Run over an iPod touch and call it a new device?"

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #84 of 392
Jobs was all over how netbooks are just "cheap laptops" that don't work. Give me a break. How is this better? Because the iPad doesnt have a protective cover to house the screen and (real) keyboard or offer a traditional viewing angle with some degree of privacy. Because "cheap laptops" come with USB, firewire, and any number of other inputs? Because they multitask and have almost the same size screens for less money? Because you can sit them on a flat table for steady use instead of holding it in your lap to attract spilled coffee? This iPad is a gimmicky touch-senstive toy -- and I know my 8 year old will want one for games, which is about what I see this device winding up catering to.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #85 of 392
this reminds of me of taking an HD picture (macbook), reducing it to a 100x100 avatar(iphone) and then taking that avatar and trying to stretch it back out again. ipad is gonna fail, it's way too limited.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #86 of 392
I prefer apple to make a netbook instead of this oversized ipod touch. I want a smaller laptop to replace my macbook. I was hoping this tablet will be the one, I guess not. I'm happy with the combination of my macbook and ipod touch. They should make an Ipad Pro which run under OSX and has all the capability of macbook and add some usb port
tongue.gif
Damn I'm a genius
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #87 of 392
I'm really hoping that this gets an update in the next two months.

The pricing is great, but really. What do you get more from this than just a bigger iPod Touch?

There's no multitasking and no Flash.

I was reading the live blog, and I think Steve said something like, "This fits the gap between the iPhone and the MacBook!" Umm. Sorry, Steve. It doesn't.

I'd rather have an iPod Touch or an iPhone than an iPad at the moment.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #88 of 392
I love the concept, and think it will go far. I, however, will certainly not buy one. Why? No pressure-sensitive stylus and no multitasking. I want to draw on this thing and I certainly don't want to use my finger.

Battery life is nice, and it will certainly appeal to those computer-phobic in the world. All I wanted was an inexpensive, portable Cintiq.
frown.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #89 of 392
Multitasking and Flash are reportedly in the next iPhone OS. My guess is that the new OS isn't ready today, however, it will be when the iPad ships.

As for use, I think the iPad will make my life less cluttered and easier.

For one, I'm a heavy iPhone user. Maybe four or five hours a day. I use it more than a laptop or desktop. I use a lot of the apps and find the iPhone to fill a lot of my computing needs. A bigger version would be nice to have.

I don't readmuch on the laptop or computer - they're inconvenient. Reading at length on the iPhone is out of the question. However, if this is a good substitute for a book, I'll probably scan a ton of paper I have into PDF format and put it on the iPad. That would let me pile up stuff to read digitally without overflowing bookshelves and nightstands. For me, that's worth it right there.

Add contract-free 3G, and I can use it in many places without WiFi and in other countries. My iPhone has been useless outside the US because it's locked to AT&T.

So it makes sense for me. Maybe not for everyone, but I can justify the purchase.

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #90 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how can this be for a student, its going to be a nightmare to type on, having to either carry a stand around with you or finding somewhere to prop it up so its at a comfortable viewing and typing angle wether with a seperate keyboard or not.

netbooks for the win for on campus work, this is full of fail.

Oh yeah, I forgot about how you type on this thing. Fair enough point...so who is it aimed at? O_o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back