Apple iPad is Offical
Feb 12, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #271 of 392
^ Has Apple released an alternative to flash for free streaming content and games on websites?

Feb 12, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #272 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most serious web designers and GUI people hate flash. It's the tool of choice to make awful looking, poorly designed webpages where everything is bopping around in a sea of nonsense and inutility.

For videos, it's been a decent format for a few years, but it will be replaced by better ones in the near future. Everyone always criticizes Apple whenever they introduce something ahead of the normal user curve.

I still remember everyone FREAKING OUT when they released computers without floppy drives. It was like, MY GOD, LIFE WILL END WITHOUT THE FLOPPY!!!

Just chill. They know what they're doing.

The floppy was well on it's way out and had been replaced by CDs for the vast majority of users by the time Apple removed them. Same for legacy (Parallel/PS2) and various Firewire ports. In each case, Apple was well within the mainstream user curve when it did these things as the mainstream user had long abandoned the functionality Apple removed. The only complaints came from power users who still had a use for those things.

Flash is a completely different story as it still has the dominant market position. It may be a decrepit resource hog with serious security flaws, but nothing else is even close in terms of market reach. Course, if the iPad takes off without Flash and ends up unifying Flash app developers under another standard, it would be a very good thing.

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #273 of 392
HTML5 is the alternative.
Youtube is being converted to that(or already has been)
as for flash coming up in the Android,BB and WinMo getting flash.. the very lack of it in the first place shows that it aint that important. Ppl that want flash really bad wont purchase the iPad or etc. As simple as that.
Flash is still dominant, but its dominance is slowly reducing.

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #274 of 392
^ An alternative that won't be around for quite awhile nor will Apple be wholly responsible.

Quote:

as for flash coming up in the Android,BB and WinMo getting flash.. the very lack of it in the first place shows that it aint that important.

Completely untrue. One of the main reasons is that until recently, smartphone hardware wasn't at the point where flash was doable. The internals (processor and ram) weren't powerful enough to run it smoothly, and the screens were too small for them to be used as serious media/gaming devices. There are third-party browsers (like skyfire) that people use specifically to try and play flash content.

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #275 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
\
If all you had to do was hold it then fine, unfortunately you have to use your hands to type and change page and select text etc etc while holding it with one hand only and pressing against it with force with the other.

So your main problem is that you will occasionally need to hold it in one hand while touching a link or zooming in on a story? I think most can handle 1.5 pounds for short periods of time without much issue. You make it sound like users will be holding buckets of water out to their sides for hours on end. For those that can't handle 1.5 pounds, they can probably prop it up or lay it down on something nearby to help with that process.

For me, the form factor is the main reason I want one. I own a laptop, PC, and iPhone and this fills a niche between the iPhone and the laptop for when I am lounging around.

For the record, there is a youtube video of a person trying it out and typing on it with just their thumbs in portrait mode while resting it in their hands. It looked fairly easy to do and the guy did not look like he had hands the size of Michael Jordan's.

Quote:

Over a regular reading period that will get real old real quick.

If you are reading a book, it will be pretty easy because you just touch the corner of the page to change pages. You can change the font so you can put it farther or closer to your face. It will also be easier than a real book for taking notes.

For programs that require constant interaction (their paint program, for example), I think most people will find a way to prop it up or lay it down while interacting with it for multiple hours. As was mentioned, the case that they are releasing at the same time makes it very easy.

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #277 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ An alternative that won't be around for quite awhile nor will Apple be wholly responsible.

Completely untrue. One of the main reasons is that until recently, smartphone hardware wasn't at the point where flash was doable. The internals (processor and ram) weren't powerful enough to run it smoothly, and the screens were too small for them to be used as serious media/gaming devices. There are third-party browsers (like skyfire) that people use specifically to try and play flash content.

Oh.. I thought they didn't need it..
Thanks for correcting me.. I just got my first good phone a few weeks back (BB Bold 2).. before that was using a ****ty Nokia in India.
tongue.gif

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #278 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess you lounge around quite a bit, if you can spend $500+ in that "niche"

$500 isn't that much money. Considering that it'll take the place of my laptop 95% of the time I travel and will get me out of paying for Internet services at hotels, it'll pay for itself.

The iPad might not work for everyone, but I am very much looking forward to owning one. It'll get used a lot.

We're also planning to get some for the kiddos - there should be good parental controls and I'm sure there will be tons of new educational apps coming.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #279 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We're also planning to get some for the kiddos - there should be good parental controls and I'm sure there will be tons of new educational apps coming.

lucky kids =0. Have to get my own, since my parents: "you already have a custom PC, notebook, smartphone, etc"

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #281 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$500 isn't that much money. Considering that it'll take the place of my laptop 95% of the time I travel and will get me out of paying for Internet services at hotels, it'll pay for itself.

The iPad might not work for everyone, but I am very much looking forward to owning one. It'll get used a lot.

Exactly. I'm in college, and getting one for digitizing notes, and working on papers across campus, as creativity doesn't just strike in the computer lab. Limited applications = no Facebook to distract me. Brilliant, IMO.

NK

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #283 of 392
Quote:

lucky kids =0. Have to get my own, since my parents: "you already have a custom PC, notebook, smartphone, etc"

You're so depraved...

My kind Uncle Erik, will the nephew be getting one as well?

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #284 of 392
Quote:

Guess you lounge around quite a bit, if you can spend $500+ in that "niche"

Are you kidding? How much have you spent on listening to music and other entertainment while lounging at home? Yeah, I have spent more on other lounging activities, too, so I don't feel too bad about spending $500 on something I would use on a daily basis at home and is portable. The fact that it fills a niche doesn't mean it isn't worth the money. I have no doubt that I will use it more than my laptop (which also costs more than $500).

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #285 of 392
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're so depraved...

My kind Uncle Erik, will the nephew be getting one as well?

Both nephews will be getting them, as well as my niece.

Has anyone noticed the surveys pegging interest above that for the iPhone initially?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back